Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Haye ever really a great HW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. He was a good heavyweight and a very good cruiserweight. He had fast accurate punches with great power. His stamina and chin were just average. He was never great at either weight. He lost every round to Wlad and fell down on purpose about a dozen times during the fight.

Comment

Yeah he was actually decent at both weights. At CW he had stamina issues, at heavy he was pretty good. Great, probably not but he wasn't overrated at all.

Comment

He was legit it's just that his prime didn't last long because of his style of fighting that depended on wild explosive punches. He also "wasted" part of his prime by fighting lower-level HWs that were bigger than him and prime Wlad was just a terrible match up for him. I wouldn't hold his performance against Valuev against him, he did what he had to do. Life and death? It was just a boring fight and Haye came to point-fight to victory. Valuev was just much larger.

Stopping Chisora was a solid win and a solid demonstration of his power. Chisora is a difficult guy to stop and Haye was the first to finish him.

I think Haye would have been viewed better legacy-wise if he stayed at CW and dominate there but then he wouldn't have gotten the big money fights against Klitschko and Chisora.

Comment

I mean winning titles at a sub-HW division + HW is always gonna get you some extra attention I think, but idk about Haye being great.

He's got one of the most bs resumes of any HW champion who held the title for a minute I believe. But sh^t man then again there was a time most viewed him as the only guy with a shot vs Klitschko. Granted he sh^t the bed in that fight, but still the fact mfers believed you were the 2nd best guy around is pretty f#cking impressive if we aren't just dogging Haye to dog Haye.

So idk about great, but he was pretty good.

Comment

Yup, massively overrated. His best win is Chisora.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
              ever really a great HW? Why does this guy get a pass for going life and death with Valuev?

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
                Even against Bellew, he had 5 rounds to stop him, couldn't do it even with flush shots. His power is what made him special, and he couldn't even hurt a blown up cruiser? Yikes.
                I don't want to disrupt this "all Brits think that Ricky Hatton could beat a prime Muhammad Ali" thread, but I'll disregard any Haye performance in his recent comeback.

Whether he was ever a great HW or not is a different matter (maybe in a different era where he wasn't a small hw) but since he came back in 2016 he has NOT looked the same man who KO'd Derreck Chisora in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  No. He was a good heavyweight and a very good cruiserweight. He had fast accurate punches with great power. His stamina and chin were just average. He was never great at either weight. He lost every round to Wlad and fell down on purpose about a dozen times during the fight.
                  Even the round where he opened a cut on Wlad's cheek? The round against Wlad was far from great, but to say he lost EVERY round is an exaggeration. He won at least 3.

Comment

No. He had the potential, but he blew the Klitschko fight and then became a part-time boxer after that. We'll never know what could have become but we can, without a doubt, say he was never a great HW.

Comment

No. All hype.

Comment

Working...
                      X