Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If PBC had belts would you respect / acknowlege them over the Alpphabet titles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larry x.. View Post
    Well those are all legit titles being showed over atg careers
    So when floydie wins them it's legit but anyone else it's bullsh it

Comment

Hell man I kinda shun all the belts now more or less. I try not to use the particular alphabet groups letters as often as I can avoid doing so. I tend to call guys "title holders" in disputed divisions & merely refer to the #1 guy as "the champion" in undisputed or lesser disputed divisions.

That said I couldn't support the PBC or anyone else creating a new belt just to add a new belt like the 4 other belts. Thats not to say that I couldn't foresee someone doing something, even PBC, upon coming onto the scene with a new belt that could usurp the current alphabet groups that would be worth supporting. I just don't see that likely to be coming down the pipeline by PBC or anyone else anytime soon. And I'm not exactly sure what the blueprint would be with the current convoluted landscape in boxing to ultimately usurp the 4 alphabet groups either so that'd be the bigger problem I suppose for any potential coup that would need to take place to have my support.

Comment

It's too soon for the introduction of PBC championships. A lot of the leverage PBC has right now is that they've got so many WBC/WBA/IBF belts locked up. It doesn't make sense to take your foot off the neck of Arum/DLH/etc right now.

If PBC eventually lands a big TV deal, the day will come where they shun the sanctioning bodies and simply exist in their own world. At that point, the alphabelts will live on overseas, but will be essentially irrelevant in the US.

Fans want one champion per division. Fans want fewer divisions. These are issues PBC can address . . . when the time is right. If you make too many drastic changes too soon, you're just giving ammunition to your enemies.

But even though we have "one champion" in other American sports, it's not really one champion. It's just one champion the public recognizes above the others. There are dozens if not hundreds of basketball leagues around the world, but everybody accepts that the NBA is the clear cut #1 league, and therefore, their champion is the clear cut #1.

If PBC ever reaches the point where the public believes they have the clear cut #1 in all of the glamor divisions, they'll be able to flick the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
          If PBC created titles in an effort to enforce the "one belt per division across boxing" ideology, would you embrace it as the one true title?

Would you shun it?

Would you just consider it another title?

Which and why?

It would depend entirely on who is fighting for those belts.

For example, if the heavyweight belt was awarded to the winner of Wlad/AJ and then the winner went on to to defend against a come backing Fury then of course, that belt would be THE heavyweight title.

If the heavyweight belt is awarded to the winner of Wilder v TBA/random bum then it wouldn't matter.

Comment

It's in the right direction - I would support it

WBO is basically a Top Rank title
            WBC is basically a Mexican title
            WBA is already a worthless title
            IBF is already a worthless title

These guys need to start fighting more often and talk less about A and B and just get it on. The dude on was the co-main in UFC 207, Cody -- right after the fight, just straight up called out the next guy in line - didn't even need prompt. It's already in their collective DNA that they fight the next man up no matter what.

Here we are still accepting these stupid sanctioning bodies and **** - get rid of them

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
              It's too soon for the introduction of PBC championships. A lot of the leverage PBC has right now is that they've got so many WBC/WBA/IBF belts locked up. It doesn't make sense to take your foot off the neck of Arum/DLH/etc right now.

If PBC eventually lands a big TV deal, the day will come where they shun the sanctioning bodies and simply exist in their own world. At that point, the alphabelts will live on overseas, but will be essentially irrelevant in the US.

Fans want one champion per division. Fans want fewer divisions. These are issues PBC can address . . . when the time is right. If you make too many drastic changes too soon, you're just giving ammunition to your enemies.

But even though we have "one champion" in other American sports, it's not really one champion. It's just one champion the public recognizes above the others. There are dozens if not hundreds of basketball leagues around the world, but everybody accepts that the NBA is the clear cut #1 league, and therefore, their champion is the clear cut #1.

If PBC ever reaches the point where the public believes they have the clear cut #1 in all of the glamor divisions, they'll be able to flick the switch.
              Good post & a solid take on the situation. And if PBC knows what its doing, which is a questionable assumption at this point, this is their blueprint for eventually taking out the alphabet title holders chaos we got going on that has damaged what being the best means in professional boxing.

But like you are saying it is a long term plan & it involves a critical mass of talent & specifically champions being under the PBC umbrella, which may or may not be attainable, & which is going to take more time beyond the PBC's timeline to sink or swim in their free TV plans which still got a couple years to play through.

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                It's in the right direction - I would support it

WBO is basically a Top Rank title
                WBC is basically a Mexican title
                WBA is already a worthless title
                IBF is already a worthless title
                I wish more people called 1/2 the 4 titles worthless titles lol.

These guys need to start fighting more often and talk less about A and B and just get it on. The dude on was the co-main in UFC 207, Cody -- right after the fight, just straight up called out the next guy in line - didn't even need prompt. It's already in their collective DNA that they fight the next man up no matter what.

Here we are still accepting these stupid sanctioning bodies and **** - get rid of them
                The problem is there is little incentive in boxing for promoters to risk their investment in fighters & for boxers to risk their earning power to fight the best guy every time out for whats unlikely to be a worthwhile upside for the promoter or the boxer. You need a re-structuring of the sport at its core to fix this &/or a total collapse of the current system before anything is changing.

But yea as a combat sports fan as well as a boxing fan, first & foremost, its frustrating & disappointing to see how exciting the UFC has made their sport & seeing all the high level competitive fights they offer month after month after month, year after year.

Then you come back to boxing & see they are still talking about making that fight 8 months from now while the two guys you wanna see fight are fighting guys with lil hope of giving them a challenge next time out. I mean Canelo is arguably the biggest name in the game right now & he's basically been phoning in opponents for 2 years outside of Cotto, although I suppose many would argue Cotto is a fair claim to a bs opponent to.

Comment

No, and having this haymon fighter PBC crap is just putting more roadblocks into fights being made. we have 4 sanctioning bodies now that recognise unifications, lets just roll with that, we know who we think the tops guys in each division are, and just want as many barriers as possible REMOVED so they can fight.

Comment

"The problem is there is little incentive in boxing for promoters to risk their investment in fighters & for boxers to risk their earning power to fight the best guy every time out for whats unlikely to be a worthwhile upside for the promoter or the boxer. You need a re-structuring of the sport at its core to fix this &/or a total collapse of the current system before anything is changing."

which is exactly what PBC is trying to do . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
                      So when floydie wins them it's legit but anyone else it's bullsh it
                      In my sig and avy you will see 3 different fighters who are all ATG's and proven so i dont see your beef here..are you just looking for an argument?

Comment

Working...
                      X