Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I think of catch weights I think of...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely agree in some respects though. In most cases it's just people making noise over nothing. Basically having a cry because they can, or for some pointless power play.

There will always be some exceptions though, like the Gatti/Gamache fight. In those instances where you know a fighter can rehydrate huge amounts, then I can understand a fighter erring on the side of caution, but in most cases a few pounds literally makes no difference. If they lose, they were going to lose anyway and a few pounds would not have made the slightest difference.

The only other instance would be in terms of losing it. If a guy is huge for the weight and really struggles to shed those last few pounds, then obviously trying to get off one more or whatever can just take the legs out from underneath you.

Overall though, it's become a silly game of power and backroom management. In 95% of cases those few pounds wouldn't make any difference and a lot of this stuff gets way overblown. But that last 5% makes it all muddy, because in those cases it really can/does make the difference and can be a huge advantage. Because of that 5% it makes all the other cases hard to tell. What's going to make a difference and what's not?

Comment

Roy Jones and Toney were on hardcore steroids.

But most of these aren't comparable, although I know people on here like to pretend everything is equal, especially all catch-weights.
      Last edited by SplitSecond; 05-30-2016, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
        I've been at a million weigh-ins where some fighter and his coach will argue intensely over weight... making a big deal about a guy coming in a half pound over the limit, a pound over, etc. I've seen guys actual call the fight off when their opponent came in a bit heavy and couldn't lose the weight. Recently we had a guy who came in a couple points heavy and his opponent REFUSED FLAT OUT to budge. NO fight.

Yet former 160 POUND CHAMPIONS like Jones and Toney moved up and gave away HUGE poundage to the likes of John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Vassiliy Jirov, Samuel Peter...Roy was 193 when he fought Ruiz, who was what? 232? Something like that?

I understand getting every edge possible for you and your boxer, etc etc...but sometimes it gets taken WAY too far.
        You can't compare the HW division as it has no weight limit.

Edit: Just for your info, Ruiz weighed in at 226.

In terms of Toney, he fought at hw cos he was a fat **** and sometimes weighed in more than the natural heavies or a pound or 2 less.

Comment

So if the heavyweight division had a limit of , say, 250, then it would make a difference? It doesnt matter what the rules say...giving up 25 pounds with no quarrel is what it is... I'm ALL for making an opponent lose that extra contracted weight because I'm trying to get a mental and emotional advantage...making him lose it at the last minute if hes mentally weak could wreck him...but when u get a guy like James Toney it is a moot point.. I remember being with him at e weigh-in in 1994 and his opponent came ion very heavy... the promoter was bugging out.. worried about having the fight called off and James went crazy..."#### it, let him weigh whatever he wants, aint gonna make no damn difference anyway." And that was that. But u get another guy and it could affect his psyche. My only point is this... realistically, that one pound...allowing your opponent to have the pound is NOT going to make a measureable difference..its all just business and mind games....

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
            Or maybe the guy that failed to make weight should fight at a weight he can make easier. If you did this you wouldn't have a stoppage on your resume because you were "weight drained"

Agreed.....

Comment

From my experience when you have two fighters of equal skill the weight difference will matter more in the lower weight classes unless you are a gifted puncher because the difference in power is more dramatic as you move each weight class.

That said any time you are matched up against another A class fighter (this is very important) in a division south of say cruiser weight than yes weight will make a big difference. It's reason why I favor GGG over Canelo, Ward over GGG, and Kovalev over Ward. If you are an A class fighter going against a B class fighter than weight won't be as big of a deal.

Comment

Working...
              X