No announcement yet.

Haymon fighters running to that HBO Money

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
    But everything was about money for PBC...last year. So what changed?
    I mean okay its a company thats trying to create a viable platform for boxing on free tv so its not like this is a charity endeavor, but what I'm saying is this particular move, Spence vs Algieri on NBC, doesn't have to be about money.

But if people in year 1 criticized the product how does putting out a cheaper product change those opinions?
    Thats a legit question I'd say. But again I'd suggest they went in this knowing they may need to adapt their plan. People don't get where Haymon has gotten without being able to alter his plans.

You said Haymon needs bigger names on PBC to turn this around yet he's doing the opposite. Less fights, lower caliber names, lesser announcers and sending your better fighters to fight on Showtime/HBO some how helps the PBC brand?
    I'm saying Haymon needs bigger names under the PBC umbrella & I think guys like Thurman & all these guys with Showtime, HBO or Sky dates are still under that umbrella.

And I've been saying from the start that I don't think PBC is against Showtime or HBO necessarily despite everyone on every side of this discussion saying otherwise just about. I think there could be PBC on Showtime at some future date potentially, hell there could be a PBC on HBO maybe, PBC on Sky. I contend there already is unofficially PBC on Showtime cards since that first Chavez vs Fonfara card last April & there were 3 or 4 last year iirc. This brand can be affiliated with other brands in a way HBO or Showtime can't be outside of a few instances (Tyson vs Lewis & Floyd vs Manny).

Comment

I love these network fans

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I'm saying Haymon needs bigger names under the PBC umbrella & I think guys like Thurman & all these guys with Showtime, HBO or Sky dates are still under that umbrella.

And I've been saying from the start that I don't think PBC is against Showtime or HBO necessarily despite everyone on every side of this discussion saying otherwise just about. I think there could be PBC on Showtime at some future date potentially, hell there could be a PBC on HBO maybe, PBC on Sky. I contend there already is unofficially PBC on Showtime cards since that first Chavez vs Fonfara card last April & there were 3 or 4 last year iirc. This brand can be affiliated with other brands in a way HBO or Showtime can't be outside of a few instances (Tyson vs Lewis & Floyd vs Manny).
        But it's not the same PBC umbrella. lol These fighters are signed to Haymon yes but Showtime, HBO, SKY are all different platforms and there success has nothing to do with PBC. They also have different agendas then PBC. PBC is a platform Haymon created to produce his own shows under the PBC Brand which they pay for and control. When Showtime buys a fight from Haymon they own the content and air it under their Showtime brand like they have done with every other manager/promoter since they got into boxing. And why would Showtime or HBO ever air fights on their network under the PBC Brand in the first place? That's backwards and ridiculous. that would be watering down their product. HBO and Showtime have over 3 decades of experience in boxing and have the very best producers, announcers, camera and audio, graphics, ect. And both have brand recognition in Boxing. But you want them to just say screw it air fights with amateur hour PBC production?
        Last edited by bigdunny1; 04-15-2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
          And why would Showtime or HBO ever air fights on their network under the PBC Brand in the first place? That's backwards and ridiculous. that would be watering down the product.
          I'd say Showtime is already doing unofficial PBC fights like I said so I disagree obviously. Haymon/PBC seemed to be extremely tied together at this point in the fact that all the primary PBC fighters are with Haymon.

What I'm saying is you don't need to say something is HBO or Showtime boxing. You know you're watching HBO or Showtime boxing cuz the channel is turned to f#cking HBO or Showtime. PBC isn't a network. PBC is a much more fluid concept than HBO or Showtime. If PBC can make itself a brand then PBC will have value to a network like they are trying to get with NBC, CBS, Spike, etc & even perhaps HBO or Showtime. Then you could get PBC on HBO or Showtime. As others have mentioned if CBS gets involved in this Showtime is likely to be involved anyway so there could easily be PBC on Showtime in that case.

HBO and Showtime have over 3 decades of experience in boxing and have the very best producers, announcers, camera and audio, graphics, ect. And both have brand recognition in Boxing. But you want them to just say screw it air fights with amateur hour PBC production?
          Are you honestly looking at the caliber of fights everyone is showing on the regular in this era of boxing & in particular lately? HBO has shown more 20-1 or worse odd fights than maybe they've ever shown. HBO has been downsizing HBO Boxing for the last 20 years. Eventually that downsizing is gonna end in a shutdown. Showtime barely showed any fights last year & most of their cards involve PBC fighters anyway. PBC could, with more influence, become the main force in boxing in ~5 years give or take if they grow & things continue on the path they are on with HBO & Showtime. Again doe they got bigger problems to deal with right now cuz as you mention they could have money issues today & more importantly in my book they could go south extremely quick if TR or GBP wins their lawsuits. So its an extreme speculation to suggest that, but I think you aren't really thinking about anything then how PBC fails like you've been since day 1 & the overall climate & trends happening in the sport.
          Last edited by Eff Pandas; 04-15-2016, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Haymon is just the main provider of fights to Showtime right now. But that's like McDonalds finding a new farm to get their beef from and then instead of serving customers a Big Mac when they come with that beef they call it Joe Schmo burger. That would be dumb because McDonalds and their Big Mac brand is bigger then Joe Schmo farms burgers. Let Joe Schmo sell you the meat and you put your own recipe and packaging on it like every other Big Mac you've sold for decades and let Joe Schmo sell on the side on their own burgers.

There is no upside for Showtime to let PBC produce fights on their own network. Showtime is better at producing boxing then PBC is. For what reason to cater to a small percent of Haymon fans? Showtime had boxing fans long before Haymon and they are custom to a certain quality. Why weaken that brand and quality by letting PBC produce the fights when you have in house a better production crew and expertise that is better.

And PBC's brand is nonexistent and not growing actually they are airing less fights and haymon is sending more fighters to fight under Showtime's brand for a reason. You talking about 5 years from now when again with the financial issues they could fold any month now and nobody would be shocked. And I thought the whole goal of PBC was to give free boxing so why are we trying to lump it in with Showtime/HBO under the "old boxing" model that PBC was invented to change. Haymon fights are going back to the old model because he financially can't afford to keep paying for PBC fights.
            Last edited by bigdunny1; 04-15-2016, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X