Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Callum Smith Drops Financial Ball in Sidestepping Canelo's 168 Return

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
    There’s two sides to every coin. No boxer ever jumps at the first offer. Big boxing matches are always hard to make and the numbers can go on for years. That’s the precedent. Opponents holding out is a lot more common than fights being signed right away. That’s the truth. It’s so hard to make big fights. If there was a huge precedent of opponents screwing themselves out of money and ruining their careers by holding out then why does it happen so often? I’m not saying Smiths career couldnt get derailed, but a lot of fighters hold out for more only to get it. I mean GBP was supposed to move on weeks ago remember? But if the BJS fight is happening he will get much more than the original offer. Lots of people said Kovalev shoulda taken the money but he didn’t, and Canelo sat out the date, in his prime. Kovalev ended up getting paid what $11 million or more? Canelo couldn’t miss another date. The top opponents cost what they cost. If GBP won’t pay that then they can fight someone at a cheaper price point. But they usually end up paying the original opponents more in the end. So they are full of it too. Canelo isn’t taking a pay cut even if he fights someone willing to take a million. Rates aren’t reduced for the fans either. If smith prices himself out than that only gives BJS more leverage to make more. Where else is Canelo going to go? They’re running out of time. As a fan would u feel relieved to see Canelo fight a lesser opponent because that means he didn’t overpay a better one? But Canelo fighting a cheaper opponent only means Canelo is getting overpaid and at a much higher ratio than the guys who held out, which is why it’s not going to happen. I mean di u want to see the best fights possible or see GBP save some money?
    It's not about just taking the first offer, It's looking like Smith flat out demanded Golden Boy doubled their offer. Huge difference. Fighters holding out and trying to squeeze a few extra dollars is one thing but demanding far more then a career payday is exactly why Smith lost the fight. lol Who cares if Golden Boy says they are moving on or not none of that matters it's all Promoter and Negotiation spin. Golden Boy had no urgency to go back to Smith because they had another fighter who willing to fight for less money then Smith was foolishly demanding. And most fans think Smith is the easier fight and lesser opponent not BJS. Hell there is no guarantee Smith will keep winning or ever get another big fight offer he should of got the L his last fight and if he lose any of his next fights. Reports are Canelo's next 3 fights will be BJS, GGG, Murata. BJS already agreed to terms that fight is happening the delay now for it being announced is DAZN is trying to financially come to agreement to land GGG fight in Sept as part of a 3 fight package that will pay Canelo millions on top of his already guaranteed 35M.

Kovalev is in a different position he's a much bigger name and draw in the US and there was a lot of dynamics in play because he had 2 different promoters that needed to be paid off and a mandatory fight he would of had to pay to step aside and last Canelo wanted Kovalev he always wanted that fight to make history. Kovalev himself didn't take home 11M that's how much DAZN paid total his team then split that up with a couple million going to each Top Rank, and his promoter Main Events. If he didn't fight Yarde first then a portion of his payday also would of been paid to have Yarde step aside. It's stupid to ask for money that Kovalev needed to pay off all his promoters and mandatory when Smith doesn't have multiple promoters or a mandatory to pay off and Smith isn't the same draw in the US as Kovalev.

It's not Golden Boy's money and them being cheap they are working off a budget that DAZN has given them. It's DAZN that doesn't want to continue paying these large amounts. At the Canelo/Kovalev press conference DAZN's own EVP said the days of them paying inflated purses are over.

https://boxingjunkie.usatoday.com/20...purses-from-us

The days of inflated purses are over at DAZN,” Joe Markowski, executive vice president of DAZN, told the Athletic’s Mike Coppinger on Wednesday.

“Like many new entrants to many industries, our tactics (in boxing) were to … play the role of more than a traditional broadcaster in making a fight (and that was by) paying opponents more than their market value. Not anymore,” Markowski said.

“If you’re a guy and you don’t move the needle and you demand X amount of money, we’re going to tell you no thanks,” Markowski stated. “We’re not a money tree that needs to be plucked out by their fighters and their representatives. That message is one that needs to land.”

The message from DAZN was that if you think you getting Jacobs/Kovalev money to fight Canelo no more. And a fighter not on their level came and demanded that same money so he didn't get the fight. It's not Golden Boy's money it's DAZN money and they want to curb inflated purses from B side fighters that don't move the needle that describes Smith perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      I appreciate your answer. I was just trying to see what Robbie was thinking about the whole thing since he is very upset when fighters are denied a chance at "life changing money".
      I know bro, thats why I'm saying I agree Hearn screwed over Smith because he shouldn't have let Billybob get the fight considering Smith will soon move up anyways. Smith losing could've been blamed on weight anyways,it was stupid to not get Smith the fight if you're Hearn seeing as how bad he looked & also his circumstances & Billybob is an ex enemy of Hearns who will never move up anyways & will keep his trinket vs bums for foreseeable future anyways
      Last edited by kushking; 03-10-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Curry View Post
        According to Smith, both he Saunders rejected the first offer. Golden Boy went back to the table with Saunders and to the media saying Smith doesn't want the fight.
        Both guys got the same offer. Smith countered it by demanding to be paid like Kovalev and Jacobs. BJS countered it by demanding far less money closer to the original offer Golden Boy made. It's not complicated. It's like trying to sell your house you put a asking price out there and have a open house. 2 buyers make a offer on your house. One tells you I will only buy it if you drop the price in half for your house a ridiculous offer. The other buyer says I like your house but can you drop the price a few thousand. Why the phuk would you ever go back to try to negotiate with the idiot you are so far apart in money when you have another buyer willing to buy your house for close to your listing price? Golden Boy worked with the guy who was willing to fight for less and was asking for less and that was BJS. Smith priced himself out so never got another offer.
        Last edited by bigdunny1; 03-10-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I don't blame Smith - the whole point of a Canelo fight would be for a shot at Canelo and to make a lot of money at the same time.

Also just the fact that Canelo lowballed him - shows they didn't really want that fight. BJS is a bigger name and a bigger mouth

They just gave Smith a derisory offer so they can say exactly what they are saying now - use it as a excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
            Both guys got the same offer. Smith countered it by demanding to be paid like Kovalev and Jacobs. BJS countered it by demanding far less money closer to the original offer Golden Boy made. It's not complicated. It's like trying to sell your house you put a asking price out there and have a open house. 2 buyers make a offer on your house. One tells you I will only buy it if you drop the price in half for your house a ridiculous offer. The other buyer says I like your house but can you drop the price a few thousand. Why the phuk would you ever go back to try to negotiate with the idiot you are so far apart in money when you have another buyer willing to buy your house for close to your listing price? Golden Boy worked with the guy who was willing to fight for less and was asking for less and that was BJS. Smith priced himself out so never got another offer.
            That's understood, but I have to ask where reports of Smith's demands are coming from.
            Everything I've heard suggests both guys were willing to accept less than Kova and Jacobs.

Comment

Originally posted by mawoodhouse View Post
              Lol, Canelo doesnt hurt ANYONE badly...he isnt a massive puncher, good body puncher sure, but doesnt hit hard enough and often enough to cause much damage.
              He is a heavy puncher, look at GGG's face after those Canelo fights, specially the 2nd one were Canelo took a more aggresive aproach.

What about Jacobs respect even when before the fight when he was interviewed he always said that his size and athleticism would let him stop and bully Canelo.

Kirkland got iced cold, Khan is a glass chinned guy but that KO was the most devastating of his career he felt flat on the canvas.

Kovalev was knocked out harder by Canelo than Alvarez or Ward.

Fielding got massacred to the body, Liam Smith has never been stopped but Canelo put him on the canvas with that left hook to the body.

Baldomir had never been stopped ice cold till Canelo came in.

Canelo is a heavy puncher, not a devastating one but a heavy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Curry View Post
                That's understood, but I have to ask where reports of Smith's demands are coming from.
                Everything I've heard suggests both guys were willing to accept less than Kova and Jacobs.
                Hearn himself said this. Said whoever accepts less money will get the fight.

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-sm...canelo--146755

"I don't know which one Canelo prefers. But I do know both Callum and Billy Joe want the fight. The one who gets the fight? Probably the one who takes it for the least money." - Eddie Hearn

And at the time of the offer numerous reports that Saunders asked for less money then Smith. Smith confirming that after he gave his money demand Golden Boy never went back to them. Smith knows the amount BJS finally got and has yet to say I would of fought for that amount he's crying because he turned it down overshot his market value and Saunders got the fight because he took less. There are reports Smith was demanding to be paid on par with Kovalev and Jacobs demanding 10M

According to the Athletic the final agreement is BJS will be paid "in the neighborhood of 8M" meaning he's not getting 8M it's less then that.

A few days before BJS agreed Mike Coppinger tweeted that Golden Boy's last offer was 7.75M it looks like that's the amount he agreed to.

7.75M is way off from Jacobs/Kovalev. We don't know what Golden Boy first offered but reports are it was AT LEAST 6M. But who knows if they offered 6M or 7M to these guys but 7.75M is closer to that then 10M. The guy who was willing to fight closer to what they were offered got the fight and that was BJS.
                Last edited by bigdunny1; 03-10-2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Jesús, I read that whole article just to come away with something I had read on a tweet days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                    Hearn himself said this. Said whoever accepts less money will get the fight.

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-sm...canelo--146755

"I don't know which one Canelo prefers. But I do know both Callum and Billy Joe want the fight. The one who gets the fight? Probably the one who takes it for the least money." - Eddie Hearn

And at the time of the offer numerous reports that Saunders asked for less money then Smith. Smith confirming that after he gave his money demand Golden Boy never went back to them. Smith knows the amount BJS finally got and has yet to say I would of fought for that amount he's crying because he turned it down overshot his market value and Saunders got the fight because he took less. There are reports Smith was demanding to be paid on par with Kovalev and Jacobs demanding 10M

According to the Athletic the final agreement is BJS will be paid "in the neighborhood of 8M" meaning he's not getting 8M it's less then that.

A few days before BJS agreed Mike Coppinger tweeted that Golden Boy's last offer was 7.75M it looks like that's the amount he agreed to.

7.75M is way off from Jacobs/Kovalev. We don't know what Golden Boy first offered but reports are it was AT LEAST 6M. But who knows if they offered 6M or 7M to these guys but 7.75M is closer to that then 10M. The guy who was willing to fight closer to what they were offered got the fight and that was BJS.
                    Thanks.

If he's originally asked for 10, surely it's reasonable to think he'd have accepted ~8? It's a negotiation after all.
                    Smith is saying he was expecting a bit of back and forth with Golden Boy which never happened.

For me, either fight is fine. I just don't see the need to throw Smith under the bus.

Comment

Massive idiot!

Because now, when Canelo wins the WBO belt, he's not going to have any leverage. He'll have to accept even less.

Comment

Working...
                      X