Tommy morrison would be champ in todays era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilder KO him with his windmill punch.

Comment

Trey's lightest weight has been at 221lbs so how does he make cruiser? Some of you have no clue what it means to drop 20 lbs when your in good shape 20lbs up.

As for Tommy he could do ok in any era because he brings power but he was not a highly skilled boxer who had stereotypical boxing form, his body type would be a problem in with top quality lateral movers with speed. His bouts with Joe Hipp and Carl Williams were very entertaining and demonstrated great determination from the three men.

Power can keep you in the middle of better talents especially in the heavier weight classes.

Ray

Comment

Tommy Morrisson had a great style. His peek a boo defense, head movement and movement in general were great to watch. He did suffer from bouts of lulls in his attention and could be quite hittable.

3 losses isn't too bad, but his competition was kinda average, 90's George Foreman and a losing effort to Lennox Lewis excepted. His loss to Bennt I don't find as bad as most as Tommy had this guy gone, except Bennt threw a hail mary that connected and Tommy was stunned and then didn't let him off the hook.

He was great to watch, a great finisher and had top ten heavyweight fights EVER against Ruddock and Williams. Seriously, they are fantastic fights. His fight against Williams was ballsy as ****. He wasn't a real big guy at 6'2" and 220lb but he did have great heart and a great to watch style. As much as he wasn't the greatest ever he is probably my favourite heavy to watch old vids of.

As for him fighting now....Ruddock is probably the size and speed of todays Pulevs. With the exception of Povetkin, who is the same size, he would be outsized and I think have similar fits that Williams and Ruddock gave him against todays top 10 guys. The top teir guys like Wilder and Joshua would toy with him or blow him out like LL did. Not saying they are Lewis, but I think he would be as ineffective against them as he was against LL.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          I lost any respect for Morrison after the Foreman fight. He would throw a punch and then literally run from George. He fought like a punk that night. That said, I would put him on the same level as Takam, maybe even Parker.
          That was the one fight where he fought like that. He usually goes for it but I think he was scared of George's power.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
            like all time??? I would not go anywhere near that far.And I think he had a great left hook. But think could name ten better punchers in heavys since say the 70s
            Hes EASILY top 5 of all time . Maybe not now if i include Joshua who also has heavy hands and speed at 250. No one in the 70's had Morrisons power . He hit every bit if not harder than Tyson,just ask any fighter who fought them both .

His body shots were brutal ,i sparred Yuri Vaulin back in the day a very tough southpaw who Morrison fought he told me the Morrison fight ruined his career .
            Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-16-2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by classicbuzzbox View Post
              Tommy Morrisson had a great style. His peek a boo defense, head movement and movement in general were great to watch. He did suffer from bouts of lulls in his attention and could be quite hittable.

3 losses isn't too bad, but his competition was kinda average, 90's George Foreman and a losing effort to Lennox Lewis excepted. His loss to Bennt I don't find as bad as most as Tommy had this guy gone, except Bennt threw a hail mary that connected and Tommy was stunned and then didn't let him off the hook.

He was great to watch, a great finisher and had top ten heavyweight fights EVER against Ruddock and Williams. Seriously, they are fantastic fights. His fight against Williams was ballsy as ****. He wasn't a real big guy at 6'2" and 220lb but he did have great heart and a great to watch style. As much as he wasn't the greatest ever he is probably my favourite heavy to watch old vids of.

As for him fighting now....Ruddock is probably the size and speed of todays Pulevs. With the exception of Povetkin, who is the same size, he would be outsized and I think have similar fits that Williams and Ruddock gave him against todays top 10 guys. The top teir guys like Wilder and Joshua would toy with him or blow him out like LL did. Not saying they are Lewis, but I think he would be as ineffective against them as he was against LL.
              Wilder and Joshua haven't done anything to consider them being as capable as Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                Hes EASILY top 5 of all time . Maybe not now if i include Joshua who also has heavy hands and speed at 250. No one in the 70's had Morrisons power . He hit every bit if not harder than Tyson,just ask any fighter who fought them both .
                Joshua's power is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
                  Joshua's power is overrated.
                  Overrated based on what ? lol

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                    Overrated based on what ? lol
                    He doesn't knock out guys with one shot, it's like an accumulation of punches that does it

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
                      Been rewatching some of "the duke"

We all know his chin frailties especially if caught cold.

But he was a fantastic puncher, very fluid and if you watch his fights he actually had good movement too.

Hed blast out most of todays heavies
                      I agree. Tommy had a lot of great tools. His left hook could wreck a truck. He'd deal with a lot of today's division.

On the upside, he has two sons fighting now. One of them might break out.

Comment

Working...
                      X