Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo fans, can you explain why he won't fight Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    Golovkin-Lemieux was selling tickets for as low as $10 (apparently on secondary market sites like StubHub). Not sure why reality keeps getting ignored but, on top of the staged 12k seats at the Forum (the ticket prices slip my mind at the moment but I want to say they were priced $30 to $300), K2 sold an extra 4k $30 tickets without even staging the venue for The Forum's maximum capacity of 17,500 seats.

Golovkin-Wade, guessing at the venue breakdown, likely ended up selling 7k tickets at $30.

People seem to enjoy the can crushing enough to tune in on regular HBO, but no one is actually putting real money behind Golovkin, regardless of how hard folks want to spin in.

You stage the full Forum (17,500 seats) at the 400/250/150/100/50/30 price points (not sure what the actual numbers were), Golovkin doesn't sell out the Forum.

Saul Alvarez did 325k PPV buys on his debut PPV because 1)he arrived in the US for the Matthew fight in 2011 already a star in his native Mexico, 2)he'd already headlined is own US shows and did great business; Staples Center[CA], MGM Grand[NV] and Alamodome[TX], 3)had started to be seen as a legit fighter after the Trout fight,and 4)he picked up the rub from the exposure that he picked up being on Floyd's cards and fighting Floyd.

After taking the chances that needed to be taken and developing a star, Alvarez's debut PPV did $2.5m at the gate 325k PPV buys ($50 a pop, and you're talking about the US TV putting $8m into the pot).

Golovkin's fought on HBO Championship Boxing 9 times and did terrible business. Manny Pacquiao's debut PPV, according to Wikipedia, did over 340k PPV buys and you can't say that his grasp of English was better than Golovkin's is; how many times do you think he had to fight on HBO to goose up that number?
    OK cretin, we get it. Ggg is not as big a star as Canelo, nor will be unless he gets Canelo in the ring, thereby ending his career Vargas style. Doesn't matter, he obviously can't be touched by anyone sub SMw ( or higher) and is a bigger draw than anyone on Pbc despite all odds

Comment

• Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
      But khan, josesito lopez and angulo deserved it? Think about how stupid that statement is.
      C'mon man it's not that simple. Canelo has had easy fights yes but they were inbetween TOUGH fights. Lopez was right before Trout. Angulo was right after getting schooled by Floyd and before Lara. Kirkland right before Cotto. And now Khan before possibly GGG or a top MW like Lemieux.

Easy, pointless fights have their place in boxing. That's mixed between tough fights. GGG isn't doing the same so if I'm Canelo why should I give GGG the opportunity to beat me and take my fan base when I've done the hard yards?

These guys aren't fans this is literally their life so you have to take out the fan mentality when thinking about why they do certain things.
      Last edited by fighter1234; 05-05-2016, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• This is a dumb question. It's pretty simple, Canelo is barely going on one defense for his title. How many times has Golovkin made 154 pounders go up to defend his belt? How many bums did Golovkin defend his title with before defending it against David Lemiux? After fighting all these bums and not getting decent fights how come Golovkin didn't move to 168 to create opportunities?

What did fighters like Bradley, Pacquiao, Mayweather, and Dela Hoya do when there weren't any names left to fight in their division? They moved up! Why hasn't Golovkin done that instead of fighting these fragile contenders?

Comment

• Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
          This is a dumb question. It's pretty simple, Canelo is barely going on one defense for his title. How many times has Golovkin made 154 pounders go up to defend his belt? How many bums did Golovkin defend his title with before defending it against David Lemiux? After fighting all these bums and not getting decent fights how come Golovkin didn't move to 168 to create opportunities?

What did fighters like Bradley, Pacquiao, Mayweather, and Dela Hoya do when there weren't any names left to fight in their division? They moved up! Why hasn't Golovkin done that instead of fighting these fragile contenders?
          It's because fans are eating it up. Those guys you mentioned moved up to earn more money. If GGG is earning a comfortable living and fans aren't pressuring him to move up then it's going to stay like it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
            Your post is a joke. You ask Alvarez fans to makes their argument for their fighter while making excuses for Golovkin in the first two sentences.

I am not a fan of either one. I think both Alvarez and Golovkin are gutless cowards. Both are avoiding the best fighter available to them to fight. Both camps constantly makes excuses and both fan bases act like gullible teenage girls who fall for the 20-something rock star.

They will agree to fight each other when 1) one of them loses a fight. That won't likely happen because Alvarez will always get gift decisions and Golovkin will never lose as long as he is allowed to use customized gloves that give him an unfair advantage over his opponents; or 2) HBO decides to stop subsidizing their mismatches, which won't be anytime in 2016 or 2017.
            Your presence on this forum is a joke you Fl*m0
            Again, you can't grasp the fact that Golovkin might want to seal the deal on his middleweight run by capturing the lineal. You can't grasp that because you are basically an idiot. I can't argue with you because people like you think Golovkin is great because his gloves are doctored. If only we lived in a world where every fighter demanded more cushioned gloves like p*ssy hands Floyd Mayweather. Sad!

Comment

• Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
              This is a dumb question. It's pretty simple, Canelo is barely going on one defense for his title. How many times has Golovkin made 154 pounders go up to defend his belt? How many bums did Golovkin defend his title with before defending it against David Lemiux? After fighting all these bums and not getting decent fights how come Golovkin didn't move to 168 to create opportunities?

He's gotta unify the belts first, Wbc next. Looks like that comes via strippage, as cowardly Canelo forfeits

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                OK cretin, we get it. Ggg is not as big a star as Canelo, nor will be unless he gets Canelo in the ring, thereby ending his career Vargas style. Doesn't matter, he obviously can't be touched by anyone sub SMw ( or higher) and is a bigger draw than anyone on Pbc despite all odds
                Leo Santa Cruz is a bigger draw in SoCal than Golovkin in SoCal, and Deontay Wilder is on the verge of being a far bigger star in NYC than Golovkin is in NYC. You add that Danny Garcia is bubbling as a marquee fighter, and I'd watch what I was writing.

Comment

Golovkin's fought on HBO Championship Boxing 9 times and did terrible business. Manny Pacquiao's debut PPV, according to Wikipedia, did over 340k PPV buys and you can't say that his grasp of English was better than Golovkin's is; how many times do you think he had to fight on HBO to goose up that number?
                  And you have the gall to say that "facts get ignored" when you don't have exact figures for breakdowns? Did Golovkin sell out the Forum? Yes? Ok, that kind of makes it a fact. By definition. I get that you're worried about K2's pocket (how benevolent of you, btw) but they don't seem worried putting GGG in 3-4 times a year.

Onto the quoted thing above. Barrera had the balls to fight Pacquiao prior to him making his PPV debut. An ATG had the balls to step up to Pacquiao. Name one current "name" that even wants to step into the ring with GGG. Ward refused to fight GGG BEFORE(can't stress this enough) GGG refused Ward. #fact Look it up, and remember not to conveniently ignore it
                  Lara is only a name to people with sleep deprivation, which I presume you have. Would Lara be the best name in his resume you say? Well, considering GGG is the A-Side (which is the bull**** you're using to excuse Canelo), tweet Lara (I mean DeCubas) to make some concessions and not price themselves out of the fight. Accept short money and beat GGG, dare to be great Lara! GGG easy work! Otherwise, shut the **** up about Lara already, everyone with an IQ above 25 can tell Lara is just fronting.

Since you won't be able to come up with a name that wants GGG (Cotto, Martinez, Froch, Chavez Jr ducked him hard) I won't wait.

Protip: When having arguments and you're ridiculing people for not using facts, and then go onto use misinformation and presenting as "fact" - it kind of makes you look ****ing stupid. Plus you're an *******.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The worst thing about this is that I like Canelo, and then he pulls off chicken **** like this. **** him, I'm not buying this fight. Second worst thing is that we have dumb****s like you defending this **** because you're more worried about "A-side bidness" over wanting to see the god damn lineal MW champion defend his championship against the best MW. How ****ing dare we boxing fans want to see the best fighters in a division fight each other.

And before you hit me with your "ATG fighters dared to move up" bull**** -- How many weight classes did Hagler campaign his entire career? One? Oh he must not be ATG in your eyes then. I suggest you follow curling, it might be a "sport" more to your speed.

Comment

Leo Santa Cruz is a bigger draw in SoCal than Golovkin in SoCal, and Deontay Wilder is on the verge of being a far bigger star in NYC than Golovkin is in NYC. You add that Danny Garcia is bubbling as a marquee fighter, and I'd watch what I was writing.
                    Whatever dumba$$. Santa Cruz can't draw 16k+ to the forum vs a no name. On the verge, bubbling, so these guys are lesser draws than Ggg EVERYWHERE. Maybe not Tuscaloosa

Comment

• Originally posted by PlasterWraps View Post
                      And you have the gall to say that "facts get ignored" when you don't have exact figures for breakdowns? Did Golovkin sell out the Forum? Yes? Ok, that kind of makes it a fact. By definition. I get that you're worried about K2's pocket (how benevolent of you, btw) but they don't seem worried putting GGG in 3-4 times a year.

Onto the quoted thing above. Barrera had the balls to fight Pacquiao prior to him making his PPV debut. An ATG had the balls to step up to Pacquiao. Name one current "name" that even wants to step into the ring with GGG. Ward refused to fight GGG BEFORE(can't stress this enough) GGG refused Ward. #fact Look it up, and remember not to conveniently ignore it
                      Lara is only a name to people with sleep deprivation, which I presume you have. Would Lara be the best name in his resume you say? Well, considering GGG is the A-Side (which is the bull**** you're using to excuse Canelo), tweet Lara (I mean DeCubas) to make some concessions and not price themselves out of the fight. Accept short money and beat GGG, dare to be great Lara! GGG easy work! Otherwise, shut the **** up about Lara already, everyone with an IQ above 25 can tell Lara is just fronting.

Since you won't be able to come up with a name that wants GGG (Cotto, Martinez, Froch, Chavez Jr ducked him hard) I won't wait.

Protip: When having arguments and you're ridiculing people for not using facts, and then go onto use misinformation and presenting as "fact" - it kind of makes you look ****ing stupid. Plus you're an *******.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The worst thing about this is that I like Canelo, and then he pulls off chicken **** like this. **** him, I'm not buying this fight. Second worst thing is that we have dumb****s like you defending this **** because you're more worried about "A-side bidness" over wanting to see the god damn lineal MW champion defend his championship against the best MW. How ****ing dare we boxing fans want to see the best fighters in a division fight each other.

And before you hit me with your "ATG fighters dared to move up" bull**** -- How many weight classes did Hagler campaign his entire career? One? Oh he must not be ATG in your eyes then. I suggest you follow curling, it might be a "sport" more to your speed.
                      The Forum seats 17,500 for boxing; outside of the Lemieux fight in NYC, Golovkin has never sold that many tickets ever.

Taking a building that actually seats 17,500, staging it for 12k seats, and calling that a "sellout" is ****ing stupid; if you can't grasp that, so be it.

Lara raised his hand for the fight, and all K2 did was act as if he didn't even exist, lol; Abel "FN" Sanchez literally went to the boxing press, argue that ****ing Willie Monroe Jr was a bigger name than Erislandy Lara, and clowns like you defended that bull****.

Hagler fought at MW for his career because he was bent on being the best middleweight fighter that ever put on gloves.

If that was Golovkin's intent, he should've said that and checked anyone in his camp that said different, rather than, as he did less then two weeks ago, talk about wanting to unify all of the middleweight titles in one breath, yet being absolutely giddy about the notion of going down weight to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Golovkin only started to get ridicule when Abel Sanchez ran his mouth about Golovkin whooping every fighter 154-168, Golovkin stood by, with that stupid grin, and let fester, K2 chased down fights at 168 against Chavez Jr and Carl Froch, yet turned utter punks once Andre Ward said he wanted to fight. lol

Comment

Working...
                      X