No announcement yet.

What was Roy Jones, Jr.'s Best Win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Depends on what you mean? Best opponent, best performance or best achievement win?

Jones doesnt score high in any of those categories but Ill list them anyway

Best opponent (at the time of match up) was Toney

Best performance was the annihilation of Griffin, the first and only time Jones disposed of a certain type of opponent the way other greats would

Best achievement imo was not the HW title but coming back and beating a very game, very good, prime Tarver for the top LHW spot.
    Good breakdown.

Yeah, I agree on the Tarver bit.

Ruiz was just not an impressive win, considering Toney did the same thing and beyond that, Ruiz just wasn't ever much good. I think he worked with what he had and all, but any top heavyweight would run through him.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      I have to think that his domination of James Toney was his best, but I don't know.

Any thoughts?
      You could make a case for any from: Toney, Hill, Griffin, Ruiz and Tarver.

I'm going to say to Tarver.

Comment

Good breakdown.

Ruiz was just not an impressive win, considering Toney did the same thing and beyond that, Ruiz just wasn't ever much good. I think he worked with what he had and all, but any top heavyweight would run through him.
        Of course it was an impressive win.

Comment

Good breakdown.

Yep, I think Ruiz was a symptom of a very poor heavyweight division, or rather, a division that had gotten poor.

Comment

Id say Toney. Looking back on it you dont get the same feel for the atmosphere for that fight. James Toney was thought of as a real killer back then. He had yet to turn into the flabby lazy waste of ATG talent and was coming off of a couple of great fights with Mccallum. Roy came in and schooled him from pillar to post.

His best accomplishment was winning a HW strap I guess, the opponent was lacking but he made a little piece of history.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
              Of course it was an impressive win.
              You love Roy.

You hate Joe.

We get it.

Comment

toney .

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
                  Toney was for sure his best win, Toney was a monster at that time. James Toney is my favorite fighter, but I don't take anything away from Roy for Toney being drained, part of being a professional is making weight properly.

Toney absolutely would have been a force at HW. His hands were still fast, and his punches sharp, he had an insane gas tank, possibly the best chin of all time, and he had some pop. Not much power at HW, but he had pop, and he was a sharp puncher. He would have stood flat footed, fat as hell, right in front of almost every HW at the time and boxed their ears off.
                  Both Klits would've beaten him easily.

Edit: Same for Lewis but he retired around the time Toney moved up.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                    Both Klits would've beaten him easily.

Edit: Same for Lewis but he retired around the time Toney moved up.
                    No doubt about that.

Comment

You love Roy.

You hate Joe.

We get it.
                      A terrible response.

1. I don't hate Joe. I just hate how he tried to claim credit for beating Roy, after he'd claimed that Roy was shot.

2. Joe has nothing to do with this thread.

3. How could Roy's win over Ruiz not have been impressive?

Comment

Working...
                      X