Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It was NEVER in DOUBT. The boxers of this era are BUMS.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoloShot View Post
    That's what annoys me about certain boxers. Why not take the risk of losing to a fellow great? It's always worse to lose to a bum or average fighter, those are reputation destroyers. A valiant losing effort against a fellow top fighter will more than likely earn you more respect and money down the line.
    It is down to the economics of modern boxing, which killed HBO and will ultimately kill several other outlets and dates back to the mid to late 90s. In a rush to create the next Mike Tyson, HBO invested heavily in a number of fighters, Oscar, Mayweather, Jones, Hopkins and a fair few others. Only one of them turned into a true star (Oscar), while the others mainly feasted on horrible opposition (Hopkins not so much but he was never invested in so much).

Jones eventually fell to the wayside, a wasted career and one with millions invested. Mayweather eventually became a star by modern standards but it was already 2007 and HBO had invested huge sums into an 11 year career, which ultimately did not produce the quality nor the profits they imagined.

By this time, Showtime and severa other outlets were following the HBO formula and will also end up failing like they did.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      It is down to the economics of modern boxing, which killed HBO and will ultimately kill several other outlets and dates back to the mid to late 90s. In a rush to create the next Mike Tyson, HBO invested heavily in a number of fighters, Oscar, Mayweather, Jones, Hopkins and a fair few others. Only one of them turned into a true star (Oscar), while the others mainly feasted on horrible opposition (Hopkins not so much but he was never invested in so much).

Jones eventually fell to the wayside, a wasted career and one with millions invested. Mayweather eventually became a star by modern standards but it was already 2007 and HBO had invested huge sums into an 11 year career, which ultimately did not produce the quality nor the profits they imagined.

By this time, Showtime and severa other outlets were following the HBO formula and will also end up failing like they did.
      Indeed, I noticed it is a common method used by tv networks to build up superstars but damn it they seem to forget that what makes people great is that they beat all comers if they're good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by BoloShot View Post
        Indeed, I noticed it is a common method used by tv networks to build up superstars but damn it they seem to forget that what makes people great is that they beat all comers if they're good enough.
        And it also helps generate more money (over a longer period rather than a short term gain).

Man I could talk about this nonsense all day lol

Comment

Working...
        X