Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What holds you back from PC gaming? Price, Patience, Friends?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTA V is rumored to play at 60FPS. Also the fact we can mod the GTA games pretty much makes the game a true sandbox. My GTA4 has bikes, Dodge Chargers, and complete texture overhauls. My friend who owns both a 360 and Xbox One with an HDMI box played Halo 3 on both systems and switched outputs simultaneously and he couldn't believe the eye sores he was getting switching from 60FPS Halo 3 to 30FPS Halo 3.

We have 60hz monitors for a reason and the consoles can't even output the frames, some games cant even hold a solid 30FPS. I doubt there is even 5 games console gamers could name that render at 1080p 60fps.

Also mods are one of the biggest bonuses to PC. Hell people pay for Minecraft skins on Xbox (They're completely fuckin free for PC gamers). Skyrim on PC is getting a total conversion mod soon adding a whole new world to the game. Skyrim is still one of the most popular games on PC because mods consistently change the game dynamics.

Also there really aren't many true PS4 exclusives aside from Bloodborne. Most of these PS4 exclusives are still available on PS3. (But hey, graphics dont matter so why pay for a PS4?) I don't even think XB1 has any quality exclusives aside from Sunset Overdrive and Halo MCC.

This notion that if you build a PC you aim for "Ultra" settings is completely idiotic. Most people I know have built PCs because they outperform consoles for the same price. Spend another $100 dollars on your GPU and your GPU has the power of at least 5 Xbox Ones.

Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 12-12-2014, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Some screens from my GTA4:

Combine all sorts of texture and model mods with a mod menu and you've got a completely brand new game.

Microsoft didn't even have faith in their own console they setup false shop at an Xbox One demonstration.
      Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 12-12-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        1080p is good enough for games, I'm not sure where I mentioned 4K in this particular thread. Definitely didn't say anything about dropping $5k dollars on a gaming PC. That's absurd, that's not even ultra high end, that's just stupidity. The best graphics card out there is about $550-600, best CPU is about $400, after that you spend several hundred more dollars on a motherboard that can play 4K, psu, hdd, sdd, cooling, case. But to spend $5k dollars, you really have to try your best to buy the most unnecessary items possible. I remember the most expensive gaming pc I wanted to build, with like super high end stuff, was about $2k and I backtracked on that, it would have been stupid. I know this really hardcore pc gamer at work that spent $3k on his, that's already overkill. But $5k is not even realistic to be honest. Why would any one want to spend $5k on a gaming pc unless it comes with a spaceship.
        4k monitors are getting cheaper. There was one from Samsung under $600 bucks.

It's not overkill to spend a lot of money on something that would make you happy. People have passions for different things. Look at how people spend thousands upon thousands on cars and other things to make them better.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
          GTA V is rumored to play at 60FPS. Also the fact we can mod the GTA games pretty much makes the game a true sandbox. My GTA4 has bikes, Dodge Chargers, and complete texture overhauls. My friend who owns both a 360 and Xbox One with an HDMI box played Halo 3 on both systems and switched outputs simultaneously and he couldn't believe the eye sores he was getting switching from 60FPS Halo 3 to 30FPS Halo 3.

We have 60hz monitors for a reason and the consoles can't even output the frames, some games cant even hold a solid 30FPS. I doubt there is even 5 games console gamers could name that render at 1080p 60fps.

Also mods are one of the biggest bonuses to PC. Hell people pay for Minecraft skins on Xbox (They're completely fuckin free for PC gamers). Skyrim on PC is getting a total conversion mod soon adding a whole new world to the game. Skyrim is still one of the most popular games on PC because mods consistently change the game dynamics.

Also there really aren't many true PS4 exclusives aside from Bloodborne. Most of these PS4 exclusives are still available on PS3. (But hey, graphics dont matter so why pay for a PS4?) I don't even think XB1 has any quality exclusives aside from Sunset Overdrive and Halo MCC.

This notion that if you build a PC you aim for "Ultra" settings is completely idiotic. Most people I know have built PCs because they outperform consoles for the same price. Spend another $100 dollars on your GPU and your GPU has the power of at least 5 Xbox Ones.

Nobody cares, the PC elitist crowd are what steers people clear from the...
          PC "masterrace" too bad for you that you don't know the true origin of that!

The $1000 you'd spend to build a PC with just the tower it doesn't include your top end gaming monitor which will set you back £300 easily then your sound system £60-70 since most monitors don't have sound inbuilt, then you need to buy a good gaming keyboard and mouse that's about £100-150 depending on what you go for...
          Plus I've priced up these stuff they have online supposedly building a $1000 PC it always comes to by far more when I price it up.

Why don't you have a look at this video then.

People play games to play with their friends, they play for fun but I guess you can enjoy looking for people to play games with on an online community forum whilst your friends will play with people they know on the same system

It's just pointless, no gaming developer is going to cater to a handful of gamers who have insane specs to make a game for that couple of thousand of people...
          This is the benefit of having a console, PC gamers have different ranges and not every PC can play every single game if its not good enough whereas with the console they know what they're working with which will likely be another reason why nobody is going to waste cash on making a multi million pound game just for a few ******s to pirate it out.
          Last edited by M Bison; 12-12-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I just don't see the point in paying $350-400 for a console. Then if you like online gaming its generally $50 a year. Then you need to buy the $60 game.

I can build a $450 PC, and play online for free. I can play games like Tomb Raider or Borderlands with any controller I want. Also the game you want will almost ALWAYS go on sale that you want. Last time I bought a game for more than $40 was The Master Chief Collection for my Xbox One which I'm going to sell because 343 ****ed up the game for far too long.

If you want the exclusives like Destiny then a console makes sense, but you can build around a R9 270x GPU and outperform consoles.

I'm pretty sure I'll still be using my 760 GTX by the time next-gen consoles come out.
            If PC games are so cheap why pirate them?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
              If PC games are so cheap why pirate them?
              I don't pirate games? I don't know why anyone would pirate games. If you buy them on Steam for their discounts they're in your library forever. If you pirate games they are generally really hard to work with and aren't capable of running with mods. Also almost none of my friends play console anymore. They all play League of Legends Personally, I play Counter-Strike.

We all used to game back when CoD was the hottest shit out. It died after MW2 for most of us. Recently two of my friends who are/were console gamers are switching over to PC as well. I don't really have any friends that are gamers that are on console actually. Most of my friends moved on from gaming or switched to PC. Maybe you and your friends can make the switch too!

The only time I play console is when I'm at a friends house and they're gamers that only play sports games.

I don't mean to sound elitist, and that meme is probably the most accurate thing I can find without being a giant dick about it. Also not everyone acts elitist on PC.. its just the younger crowd (hence me being born in 1995). My older cousin doesnt even have a clue about the "PC Master Race" and hes 10 years older than me with a $3000 PC.
              Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 12-12-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

By the way, that meme highly exaggerated the price at the start. Again, you talk as if PC gamers blow everything on top end gear When I first built my PC I used my LCD monitor I used since the early 2000s. Didn't get peripheral upgrades months into having my PC. $1000 is a lot to blow on a starter PC. A lot. Personally, my setup right now is about $1300.

$1300 includes:
                My PC + retail Windows 7
                ASUS Ve228h Monitor
                random $100 mechanical keyboard
                SteelSeries Rival mouse
                Sennheiser 280 HD headphones

I probably don't have to upgrade for 7-10 years, but because you save money from not subscribing to xbox live or PS online and not spending $60 for every game (I swear I have NEVER spent more than $50 on a PC game) you have room for upgrades down the years and the upgrades exponentially surpass the next-gen consoles by the time they come out. Pretty much everything PC related from hardware, equipment, and games goes on sale. Sites like NewEgg do weekly deals too and November/December is the best time to get into PC gaming because the price drops are insane.

I don't use a sound system because I live in an apartment complex and my headphones at 50 volume is superior to most $50 speaker setups.

I have an Xbox One, but I am gonna get rid of it. Its useless to me now and if I sell it I'd have around 80% of the cash needed for a GPU upgrade that would be capable of outputting solid 1440p resolution for games on PC that are capable of rendering that resolution.

By the way, I'm a pretty hardcore gamer so if my prices seem large then thats why. You can build a $450 PC and use old peripherals and play all the same games I do and the PC will outperform or be on par (some PC ports suck) both Ps4 and XB1. I also play games with my 360 controller.. keyboard/mosue isn't even all that except for FPS games.
                Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 12-12-2014, 08:24 PM.

Comment

The pic is hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
                    Nobody cares, the PC elitist crowd are what steers people clear from the...
                    PC "masterrace" too bad for you that you don't know the true origin of that!

The $1000 you'd spend to build a PC with just the tower it doesn't include your top end gaming monitor which will set you back £300 easily then your sound system £60-70 since most monitors don't have sound inbuilt, then you need to buy a good gaming keyboard and mouse that's about £100-150 depending on what you go for...
                    Plus I've priced up these stuff they have online supposedly building a $1000 PC it always comes to by far more when I price it up.

Why don't you have a look at this video then.

People play games to play with their friends, they play for fun but I guess you can enjoy looking for people to play games with on an online community forum whilst your friends will play with people they know on the same system

It's just pointless, no gaming developer is going to cater to a handful of gamers who have insane specs to make a game for that couple of thousand of people...
                    This is the benefit of having a console, PC gamers have different ranges and not every PC can play every single game if its not good enough whereas with the console they know what they're working with which will likely be another reason why nobody is going to waste cash on making a multi million pound game just for a few ******s to pirate it out.
                    "People play games to play with friends".

Not sure if this is universal, but I def disagree with that. I do not play games to play with friends. I buy games to play by myself. To be entertained. That's all. Playing with friends is occasional.

Comment

I wanted to play PC but at first it was too expensive. I knew eventually I would be saving money but at the time I didn't care about eventually. I know now if I got a PC I wouldn't have got into boxing. Plus I find consoles a lot more fun when friends come over, it's fun to hook up a few controllers and play GTA around a tv.

Comment

Working...
                      X