Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF is common core math, are they really teaching this??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More here
    https://www.philanthropydaily.com/ga...e-common-core/

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
      The common core math approach is actually very close to how I do it in my head, but I wasn't taught to do it that way. It makes doing math much quicker imho. But it must be painful to teach.

I think the traditional approach is much simpler a technique, and less likely to lead to an error, but slower. And it doesn't force you to think about numbers in any meaningful way. You are just applying an algorithm that you've memorized. IDK if that is necessarily a bad thing though. Especially for youngsters.

Like for instance the way I would do 27*12 is 27*10+27*2 = 270+54 = 270 + 30 + 24 = 324. It took me longer to write it out than it did for me to solve it mentally.

i think you are on to something bob.. but we all kinda learn learn differently.. i suffer from dyslexia, and once it was figured out.. and i learned to work within my limitations.. i excelled..i think everyone has different skills..

i really like, no. i love math.. i love languages, programming, and i hate dealing with people..

i love several math guys.. i think one of the greatest math lectures was given by this guy..

i am still in awe..

Metric tensor
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Jump to navigation
      Jump to search
      This article is about metric tensors on Riemannian manifolds. For Lorentzian metric tensors satisfying the Einstein field equations of general relativity, see metric tensor (general relativity).

In the mathematical field of differential geometry, a metric tensor is a type of function which takes as input a pair of tangent vectors v and w at a point of a surface (or higher dimensional differentiable manifold) and produces a real number scalar g(v, w) in a way that generalizes many of the familiar properties of the dot product of vectors in Euclidean space. In the same way as a dot product, metric tensors are used to define the length of and angle between tangent vectors. Through integration, the metric tensor allows one to define and compute the length of curves on the manifold.

A metric tensor is called positive-definite if it assigns a positive value g(v, v) > 0 to every nonzero vector v. A manifold equipped with a positive-definite metric tensor is known as a Riemannian manifold. On a Riemannian manifold, the curve connecting two points that (locally) has the smallest length is called a geodesic, and its length is the distance that a passenger in the manifold needs to traverse to go from one point to the other. Equipped with this notion of length, a Riemannian manifold is a metric space, meaning that it has a distance function d(p, q) whose value at a pair of points p and q is the distance from p to q. Conversely, the metric tensor itself is the derivative of the distance function (taken in a suitable manner). Thus the metric tensor gives the infinitesimal distance on the manifold.

While the notion of a metric tensor was known in some sense to mathematicians such as Carl Gauss from the early 19th century, it was not until the early 20th century that its properties as a tensor were understood by, in particular, Gregorio Ricci-Curbastro and Tullio Levi-Civita, who first codified the notion of a tensor. The metric tensor is an example of a tensor field.

The components of a metric tensor in a coordinate basis take on the form of a symmetric matrix whose entries transform covariantly under changes to the coordinate system. Thus a metric tensor is a covariant symmetric tensor. From the coordinate-independent point of view, a metric tensor field is defined to be a nondegenerate symmetric bilinear form on each tangent space that varies smoothly from point to point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty_Windir View Post
        No doubt man, dumbing down the masses and getting rid of anything God-related is the order of the day in America.

Sad...we truly are living in the end times Zman
        how are they dumbing down america if this new math technique is harder than the old one ?

Comment

Originally posted by Split Decision View Post
          how are they dumbing down america if this new math technique is harder than the old one ?
          For one, my daughter can get a S+ if she shows her work. Yes, if she gets it wrong it's ok, as long as she shows her work.
          I'm like WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
            It's nuts, my daughter goes to a good school. Last year in 3rd grade there was some crazy questions. We went in for a meeting. The teacher told us that she doesn't agree with it but it's what they have to teach.

Bill gates is the brain child behind this. Now he's come out and said it's a mistake. But the government if sticking with it.
            stay strong bro... dumbing down everything is going on.. but,, rich rich people keep their kids outta public schools.. yet they want our kids in public schools..

my kids were kinda given weird easy home work.. 10j years ago.. it was like,, reading comic books and chilling out.. i took them outta that environment. and put them in a private school, with rich kids.. and i put my kids in hebrew school, .. there was a 60 min show, years ago.. i will try to find it, kids in belgium jr high, were smater.. not smarter, better educated than kids in Advanced Placement courses in Merica.. the SAT, has been dumbed down so everyone looks smart..

the power elites are patting us on the head..

ever heard of a judas goat..

A Judas goat is a trained goat used in general animal herding. The Judas goat is trained to associate with sheep or cattle, leading them to a specific destination. In stockyards, a Judas goat will lead sheep to slaughter, while its own life is spared. Judas goats are also used to lead other animals to specific pens and onto trucks. They have fallen out of use in recent times, but can still be found in various smaller slaughterhouses in some parts of the world, as well as conservation projects.[1]

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
              stay strong bro... dumbing down everything is going on.. but,, rich rich people keep their kids outta public schools.. yet they want our kids in public schools..

my kids were kinda given weird easy home work.. 10j years ago.. it was like,, reading comic books and chilling out.. i took them outta that environment. and put them in a private school, with rich kids.. and i put my kids in hebrew school, .. there was a 60 min show, years ago.. i will try to find it, kids in belgium jr high, were smater.. not smarter, better educated than kids in Advanced Placement courses in Merica.. the SAT, has been dumbed down so everyone looks smart..

the power elites are patting us on the head..

ever heard of a judas goat..

A Judas goat is a trained goat used in general animal herding. The Judas goat is trained to associate with sheep or cattle, leading them to a specific destination. In stockyards, a Judas goat will lead sheep to slaughter, while its own life is spared. Judas goats are also used to lead other animals to specific pens and onto trucks. They have fallen out of use in recent times, but can still be found in various smaller slaughterhouses in some parts of the world, as well as conservation projects.[1]
              It's gotten better now in 4th grade. I should put her in private school but this school is really well ranked. They also say the pledge every morning. I guess it doesn't matter as long as it's a public school.
              One of her friends came from a private school. Parents can no longer afford it. This girl is the smartest in the class. The teacher lets her teach some.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty_Windir View Post

I thought this was simple math...?

What are they teaching her then?

Algebra would be a bit more difficult, but I wouldn't even consider that hard.

Maybe for junior-high would be more acceptable.

Is simple math this:

4 + 4 = 8
                18 + 20 = 38
                200 + 400 = 600

That kind of stuff?

Truly curious
                If you watch the first video, or look at the thumbnail, his first example is the way I was taught and is the way she's being taught also.

Now my coworker also showed me a method where the kids are using a rectangle with diagonal lines, I was confused as fuŠk.

Comment

It's gotten better now in 4th grade. I should put her in private school but this school is really well ranked. They also say the pledge every morning. I guess it doesn't matter as long as it's a public school.
                  One of her friends came from a private school. Parents can no longer afford it. This girl is the smartest in the class. The teacher lets her teach some.
                  Made me laugh that this is a plus, or even a consideration. It's literally a formality that kids say without thinking or meaning.

Also the pledge's wording feels so big brother-y. The anthem ****s on it.

Comment

there are several schools like this.. not sure if they still exist. Lowell High School SFhttps://www.niche.com/k12/oakland-technical-high-school-oakland-ca/

i had a problem in college and was almost kicked .. i was on probation, for hitting a prof in the face with an exam.. he worded a problem wrong, and i was right.. he was MAD because i corrected his wording.. and he wanted me to respect his authority.. i was abusing his teachers assistants, and anyway.. i had to go to allen temple in Oakland and volunteer.. allen temple, project interface... i also had to get involved with mexican or latino group called Metcha.. etc..minority group.. you know.. tutoring etc.. i hated it.. why were they there.. most were idiots..

i am a racist.. my wife.. is a racist.. in a life death brain surgery situation.. i do not want some affirmative action person operating on me..

fishing on your boat.. next year.. cool

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                      Made me laugh that this is a plus, or even a consideration. It's literally a formality that kids say without thinking or meaning.

Also the pledge's wording feels so big brother-y. The anthem ****s on it.
                      It's a shame isn't it? Her old school in CA didn't sing it.
                      Yup she's also in honor choir and they had their first outing a few weeks ago to sing the anthem for our local soccer pro team.
                      Pretty cool to see her on the field in a big Stadium like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X