No announcement yet.

Micheal Spinks ATG Forgotten. Travesty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chirorickyp View Post
    Micheal Spinks is the most underrated fighter of the last 50 years. Undefeated undisputed light heavyweight champ who beat the best collection of tough fighters since the 1970's. Never got beaten up, beat every fighter, Period!
    He would have beaten any light heavy since his era including the great Roy Jones Jr. At 6'2 with the Spinks Jinx he would have KO'd Prime Roy.
    The guy then goes and outboxes the great Larry Holmes at heavyweight. Absolutely astounding.
    No credit.
    All he's remembered for is for going against a prime Animal Mike Tyson.
    Can anyone tell me who's better than Micheal Spinks and achieved more at Light heavyweight in the last 50 years.
    Would they have beaten Larry Holmes?
    You read Bread's mailbag?

Comment

I forgot Roy Jones. As great as Spinks was I think the prime Jones was a bit better at 175. Jones's KO defeat by Tarver seem to knock the prime out of him but before that he was a terror at 175.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        Spinks was a great light heavyweight. Holmes was 36 years old when Spinks just barely beat him twice in fights many thought Holmes won. He could not have defeated a prime Holmes. I think Bob Foster was a better light heavyweight than Spinks and would have defeated him. Foster did not do well against heavyweights but he was unbeatable at 175. Foster was not that big and could not carry the weight to fight as a heavyweight and still weighed 175 when he did fight heavyweights. Foster and Spinks both had many successful title defenses. But Foster was still light heavyweight champ at age 36 while Spinks was KOed by Tyson and retired for good at age 32.Foster had 46 KO wins for 71% KO ratio while Spinks had 21 KO wins for a 65% KO ratio. Foster was lightning fast and had incredible punching power for a light heavyweight.

- -Sheriff Bob KOed by lesser Hvys than Lar on the verge of Tying Rocky.

And Mike froze Lar solid the first fight.

Helps to watch the fights!

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
          Spinks is one of the ATG fighters at 175. He isn't forgotten at all amongst real boxing fans.
          I agree with this.

Comment

They disrespect him to denigrate Tyson's resume. The man took Holmes' zero.

Comment

Originally posted by DaBeastO View Post
              spinks is best remembered for his entrance against mike tyson and the look on his face just before he got slaughtered in 90 seconds or whatever it was no doubt about it he's a top 3 ATG light heavyweight. spinks moving up and beating holmes not once but twice was just the cherry on top.
              That is the one fight where im like this guy is scared. People always say look so and so is scared in the stare downs or theyre in their head ect and 99% of the time its exaggerated but Spinx was legit scared out of his mind.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                That is the one fight where im like this guy is scared. People always say look so and so is scared in the stare downs or theyre in their head ect and 99% of the time its exaggerated but Spinx was legit scared out of his mind.

Spinks was scared because his guy Butch Lewis tried to get in Mike's head, Mike already had a hand wrapped and Lewis demanded Mike rewrap his hand and Mike out of anger punched through a wall and almost knocked Spinks out in the locker room, the fight was delayed for a period before he came out. Lewis admitted this on a espn show a few years back. That is why he was scarred.

Spinks was a great fighter, can't judge a fighter by one fight, he was fighting one of the greatest fighters ever, in his prime and Spinks was not a legit heavyweight, so you know he never got hit by a punch that hard before.

If he stayed at 175, he wouldn't have made the big money or dared to be great.

Comment

Originally posted by chirorickyp View Post
                  Micheal Spinks is the most underrated fighter of the last 50 years. Undefeated undisputed light heavyweight champ who beat the best collection of tough fighters since the 1970's. Never got beaten up, beat every fighter, Period!
                  He would have beaten any light heavy since his era including the great Roy Jones Jr. At 6'2 with the Spinks Jinx he would have KO'd Prime Roy.
                  The guy then goes and outboxes the great Larry Holmes at heavyweight. Absolutely astounding.
                  No credit.
                  All he's remembered for is for going against a prime Animal Mike Tyson.
                  Can anyone tell me who's better than Micheal Spinks and achieved more at Light heavyweight in the last 50 years.
                  Would they have beaten Larry Holmes?
                  I disagree about him beating RJJ, I think a peak Roy’s speed and accuracy would be too much for the Jinx.

I completely agree about him being crazily underrated though, definitely an ATG. Very difficult to beat, and in terms of resume one of the very best 175 lb’ers of all time along with guys like Foster and Moore.

The 80’s was that strong of an era, that a lot of greats get overlooked. Mike McCallum is another one, as is Aaron Pryor.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike2012 View Post
                    Spinks was scared because his guy Butch Lewis tried to get in Mike's head, Mike already had a hand wrapped and Lewis demanded Mike rewrap his hand and Mike out of anger punched through a wall and almost knocked Spinks out in the locker room, the fight was delayed for a period before he came out. Lewis admitted this on a espn show a few years back. That is why he was scarred.

Spinks was a great fighter, can't judge a fighter by one fight, he was fighting one of the greatest fighters ever, in his prime and Spinks was not a legit heavyweight, so you know he never got hit by a punch that hard before.

If he stayed at 175, he wouldn't have made the big money or dared to be great.
                    Yeah he looked like he didn’t want to be there.

He had one foot out of the game by the time he fought Mike, he was essentially just cashing out and getting a retirement pay cheque.

I agree it takes nothing away from his great run at Light Heavyweight or his two “wins” over Holmes. I do think Holmes was robbed in fight one tbh but I did think Spinks edged the second fight.

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
                      Great era for light heavyweights.
                      Michael spinks was the daddy of that division which included some amazing fighters.....Dwight Muhammad qawi, Marvin johnson , Eddie mustafa Muhammad etc.
                      Olympic champion on greatest American team in history.
                      Fact of the day spinks kept calling Marvin hagler out but hagler declined on many occasion.
                      I think the Tyson loss did damage his credibility because he seemed defeated before he entered the ring and then never made a comeback and never even talked on his loss.
                      But he was a great fighter especially in his division with a devastating right hand
                      Hagler had no business moving up to 175.

Comment

Working...
                      X