Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs Marciano: Who was Greater?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by el*** View Post
    Floyd has the way better resume. Marciano fought in a weak era. All of his top names are smaller guys coming up to heavy or guys who were completely shot. People make a big deal about him only being 190 lbs but he was the naturally larger guy in almost all of his best wins.

Floyd went through multiple divisions, spent his entire career fighting larger men and fought at a higher level of competition way on earlier on his career.
    Marciano fought in a weak era? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Marciano beating old Joe Louis, Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles>>>>>>>>>>> Mayfeather beating drained Canelo, old shot injured Pac, old shot Mosley, old shot Oscar, and midget Marquez.

Marciano was the little guy KNOCKING OUT giants at HEAVYWEIGHT. Now THAT takes skill!!

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
      Maciano was 29 when he won the heavyweight championship and defended it 6 times in 3 years before retiring.

Cant believe people really think beating a 39 year old for the championship and defending the title against smaller men or shot opponents is better than Mayweather dominating the sport at the highest levels for basically 16 years.
      Titles are much easier to win now and jumping divisions is hobby for many top fighters. How many lineal titles/fights has Floyd won or fought in? That is more accurate than winning a 1/4 or 1/5 of a title if you count the Ring belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
        P4P was invented to compare smaller fighters with bigger ones and give them their credit.
        Rocky was a heavyweight so there was nowhere for him to move up to.

This whole P4P thing is a mythical, subjective concept created to defend smaller fighters. In a real fight, the big guy crushes the little guy, period.

Fact is, there is only one "heavyweight champion of the world." As much as we can admire the little guys, the heavyweight champion should be the king of boxing.
        Last edited by Ricky Bahl; 05-30-2016, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by low blows View Post
          Titles are much easier to win now and jumping divisions is hobby for many top fighters. How many lineal titles/fights has Floyd won or fought in? That is more accurate than winning a 1/4 or 1/5 of a title if you count the Ring belt.
          23 Lineal title fights i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by low blows View Post
            Exactly Moving up divisions nowadays is much easier than it was in the 1950s. Everyone is a damn "multi-division" champion now smfh

Comment

Floyd has a better resume.

Marciano beat ancient Joe Louis, old Walcott, blown up light heavyweight Ezzard Charles, plus old AND blown up light heavyweight Archie Moore.

Comment

Anyone who voted Marciano is an idiot, which means there are a lot of idiots on this forum. I don't care what you think about him - and I dislike him as much as the next guy - he's greater than ****ing marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayemaker! View Post
                  Since Mayweather and Marcianop are now tied at #1 in history at 49-0 for the most wins of any undefeated champions, their names will forever be intertwined. But, eventually, there can only be one true #1 (in terms of record).

Once and for All: Who in your opinion had the greater 49-0?

Mayweather best wins: Manny Pacquiao, Oscar Dela Hoya, Canelo, Miguel Cotto.

Marciano best wins: Joe Louis, Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles, Jersie Joe Walcott.

Serious discussion only, no insults or trolling.
                  Marciano came from a very poor background with no one to help him along in boxing when he started. He had practically no amateur background and turned pro at 25. In a ten year run, he fought and won 49 times, winning an astounding 43 times by knockout. He beat the likes of Joe Louis, Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore- all HOFs. He proved he could go 15 rounds. He proved he could get up from a knockdown and keep going. He was dead in the water in the Charles rematch and turned the whole fight around in less than a round. He, like Mayweather, fought two rematches and in both instances, scored knockouts sooner and the fights ended earlier. He was the smallest heavyweight champion of all time, outweighed and outreached in nearly every fight. He retired on top with the undisputed world title.

It's all in how you look at it, but I have to go with the rock on this one. I truly believe he would fight anybody and I don't feel the same about Mayweather. Mayweather also had tremendous advantages with his father and uncle heavily involved in the sport when he was born and there to help guide him. I also prefer knockouts to distance wins. So that is a bias on my part, but when you knock a guy out, there's no question about the win, even when it's come from behind. Marciano was the first and it appeared to be the only for several decades to actually retire undefeated and on top. Mayweather is very exceptional for doing this. They both were smart to do so when they did.

In the end, I go with "The Brockton Blockbuster." But it's a matter of opinion, really.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    Floyd has a better resume.

Marciano beat ancient Joe Louis, old Walcott, blown up light heavyweight Ezzard Charles, plus old AND blown up light heavyweight Archie Moore.
                    So Marquez wasn't blown up? Mosley wasn't ancient? And Fraud had to cheat Marquez on the scales hahahahaha what a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenge Myself View Post
                      Marciano fought in a weak era? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Marciano beating old Joe Louis, Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles>>>>>>>>>>> Mayfeather beating drained Canelo, old shot injured Pac, old shot Mosley, old shot Oscar, and midget Marquez.

Marciano was the little guy KNOCKING OUT giants at HEAVYWEIGHT. Now THAT takes skill!!
                      This ^^^

Enough said

Comment

Working...
                      X