No announcement yet.

Colby Covington, Kamaru Usman get into heated exchange after UFC on ESPN 5

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colby Covington, Kamaru Usman get into heated exchange after UFC on ESPN 5

UFC welterweight champion Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington are likely going to meet in the Octagon later this year, but they were nearly ready to throw down on Saturday instead.

Following a dominant showcase from Covington in his main event fight against Robbie Lawler, he made his way to the UFC post-fight show where Usman was working as an analyst. Several security guards were already in place with Covington standing on one side of the desk with Usman on the other as the fighters almost immediately started jawing at each other.

Covington was promised a title shot with a win on Saturday and now he will likely await a time and a place where he can finally meet Usman with the undisputed welterweight title on the line.

Usman actually congratulated Covington on his performance but then fired the first shot in the lengthy verbal exchange.

“You’re standing here and you’re kind of talking now, when did your balls drop?” Usman said to Covington.”

Covington then responded in kind.

“The only thing you’re losing faster than your hairline is that Power Ranger belt. Stop faking injuries. You’re out for eight months with a hernia injury. It takes six weeks to recover. Stop faking injuries. You’re the Tyron Woodley 2.0,” Covington said.

“You get a call from the President today? That’s right, you’re a loser. No one gives a s—t about you. Everybody came to see me. Shut your mouth and listen to the champ.”

Covington actually received a call from President Donald Trump on Saturday after his sons — Donald Jr. and Eric — were sitting in the front from for the fights in New Jersey. The former interim welterweight champion definitely celebrated that call while continuing his ongoing war of words with Usman.

“He sucks. Where’s he good? He beat my sloppy seconds after I already beat them,” Covington shouted. “He beat guys that were left for dead. Rafael dos Anjos, Demian Maia, I left them for dead. He came and picked up the scraps after me. He’s a joke. He’s following in my footsteps.”

At one point, Usman was asked about defending his title against Covington at UFC 244, which takes place in November at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Usman didn’t blink as he started to take off his jacket while motioning at Covington that he was ready to fight immediately as security quickly swooped into make sure there was no physical altercation.

“It’s a possibility tonight,” Usman said. “He talks big cause there’s security in front of him.”

The bad blood between Covington and Usman continued to boil over during several more exchanges over the course of the interview before it finally ended.

Now it seems like just a matter of time before Covington and Usman finally get the chance to settle their differences inside the Octagon in what should be one of the most highly anticipated title fights for the remainder of 2019.
Working...
X