No announcement yet.

Mares came off a 16-month layoff to win, Walters blamed loss on 11-mo layoff

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EddieHearn View Post
    The layoff excuse is utter nonsense, the people saying Ward is still rust are absolutely talking out their backside.
    I think it maybe depends on how well you treat your body and If you're still training, if you don't bloat up to 200lbs like BJS did it shouldn't be a problem, boxing is like riding a bike you don't simply forget the ins and outs of it a good solid training camp will sort a good boxer out but if you're burning 40lbs....
    Its more of a mental issue than a physical one IMO. Sitting around for a year makes them lose ambition and drive. They almost certainly dont have another job so what do they do during these long breaks. Walters was clearly in shape. Just going to the gym for 12 months or 17 is boring, jut think if you got laid of for that long

Comment

Mares wouldn't quit like Walters if he fought Lomachenko, he'd go out on his shield.

Mares is a warrior, Walters is a quitter.

Comment

mares looked real good last night and it was nice to see him get back on the winning track,snatch a belt and notch another good win...hes been one of my favorite fighters since he burst on the scene fighting at 118...

however,i feel like hes making the same mistake nonito donaire made by fighing outside his natural weight class...i feel he would be much better suited for 122 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Objectivity View Post
          who was a super featherweight fighting at welterweight the first time. he cheated him in the scales as well.
          Yeah, you're right, but Mayweather nutlickers won't admit to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Damn Wicked View Post
            Yeah, you're right, but Mayweather nutlickers won't admit to that.
            Its like they wished every one would forget how floyd cherry pick
            and duck like there was no tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowDragon View Post
              mares looked real good last night and it was nice to see him get back on the winning track,snatch a belt and notch another good win...hes been one of my favorite fighters since he burst on the scene fighting at 118...

however,i feel like hes making the same mistake nonito donaire made by fighing outside his natural weight class...i feel he would be much better suited for 122 lbs
              I agree on the weight situation... he would be better off at 122. However, the featherweight division have given him most of his career highs. His surprising KO win over de Leon, his brutal loss to Jhonny, his lukewarm comeback that helped him pick up new tricks for his bag since he was under different trainers, his loss to Leo in a gutsy effort and now the resurrection with a win over a formidable Cuellar. I can see why he's opting to stay at 126.

Comment

Working...
              X