Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the World Grown Too Soft For Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeKidd View Post
    Yes, that's why MMA is gaining popularity. Boxing will be left to this niche group...that soft set. In a few more years, it will evolve into shadow boxing!
    Yes, that is the true fear I have for the future. A niche sport is a dying sport. Boxing magazines used to take up the racks at grocery stores and Walmart, but now, you would be lucky to find a ragged issue of The Ring. The popularity is diminishing and the softer it gets, it's only getting worse. Safety first is for people who work regular jobs- not those seeking glory.

Comment

The reality is that boxing is very unhealthy. Recently there was a study that showed that 87 out of 91 ex nfl players who donated their brains to be studied showed signs of CTE. That's a scary percentage and I would guess that boxers may have that closer to 100%. Would you people let your kids box? Of course the conditioning classes and boxing workouts are amazing for your health, but getting punched in the head, headgear or not, sparring or in real bouts, is damaging.

Comment

I blame ISIS.

Comment

Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
          The reality is that boxing is very unhealthy. Recently there was a study that showed that 87 out of 91 ex nfl players who donated their brains to be studied showed signs of CTE. That's a scary percentage and I would guess that boxers may have that closer to 100%. Would you people let your kids box? Of course the conditioning classes and boxing workouts are amazing for your health, but getting punched in the head, headgear or not, sparring or in real bouts, is damaging.
          Yes it is, but I don't know. Seems like LaMotta, Chavez, Sr. and others were born to be fighters with those thick skulls. Not every fighter ends up like that.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
            Yes it is, but I don't know. Seems like LaMotta, Chavez, Sr. and others were born to be fighters with those thick skulls. Not every fighter ends up like that.
            This is why boxing USED to capture the imagination. Those guys were gladiators. Now, it's heading in the direction of fencing. Soon time we will have white suits that are wired up so that touches can be accurately recorded, replacing those nimble-fingered compubox dudes!

Comment

This is why boxing USED to capture the imagination. Those guys were gladiators. Now, it's heading in the direction of fencing. Soon time we will have white suits that are wired up so that touches can be accurately recorded, replacing those nimble-fingered compubox dudes!
              Hahaha. I believe you are right. I think the true warriors are gone. I mean, if the Fight of the Century for this century is any indication of the future, the sport is definitely done.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                True. There are definitely exceptions.

Comment

This is why you have things like this BBK. Trying to force people to fight! The only solution is to judge fights properly to reward the aggressor, even if he's getting pot-shot. If you're not doing damage and you're running, you should not win a fight!

Comment

This is why you have things like this BBK. Trying to force people to fight! The only solution is to judge fights properly to reward the aggressor, even if he's getting pot-shot. If you're not doing damage and you're running, you should not win a fight!
                    Is this Skip Bayless?

Comment

Dumb kiddies would rather watch men grabbing each other's crotches instead of a real sport. So they stick to UFC and MMA.

Boxing is corrupt, backwards, violent, and offensive. I hope it stays that way.

Comment

Working...
                      X