Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Reach and Height As Important As It Is Made Out To Be?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an advantage. Period.
    You can dig for exceptions for anything but it doesn't change the basic truths of boxing.

Comment

That is a list of 10 fighters covering 40 some years and all the guys are really damn good at minimum and most are great.

That list is not changing anything because most guys will never be able to do what they do.

So yea reach is an advantage because it allows a guy to strike first because they get in range first and they can keep the other guy from ever being able to really land well. Height is trickier because if a guy is tall there is more area to land on, but they can come from angle and drop shots down on opponents rather than having to punch up, still that can go either way.

Shorter guys with longer arms tend to have the most advantages, because there is less area to hit, their arms guard more of their body, they can still get good leverage with their longer limbs, and they can fight at range.

The worst combo is tall guy with short arms it is like the exact reverse, now think about it how many top end fighters do you see that are tall with short arms?

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        That is a list of 10 fighters covering 40 some years and all the guys are really damn good at minimum and most are great.

That list is not changing anything because most guys will never be able to do what they do.

So yea reach is an advantage because it allows a guy to strike first because they get in range first and they can keep the other guy from ever being able to really land well. Height is trickier because if a guy is tall there is more area to land on, but they can come from angle and drop shots down on opponents rather than having to punch up, still that can go either way.

Shorter guys with longer arms tend to have the most advantages, because there is less area to hit, their arms guard more of their body, they can still get good leverage with their longer limbs, and they can fight at range.

The worst combo is tall guy with short arms it is like the exact reverse, now think about it how many top end fighters do you see that are tall with short arms?
        Top off my head, Tony Bellew - tall guy with short arms for his height and he is a heavyweight titlist, was one at cruiser too, LOL

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
          Top off my head, Tony Bellew - tall guy with short arms for his height and he is a heavyweight titlist, was one at cruiser too, LOL
          No he isn't.

Comment

It is. Lou Cipher was able to box the shoes off of Alfonso Gomez and land at will because Gomez was unable to get close enough to land his weak body shots on Lou Cipher's chiseled torso. I beat that boy like a slam man in larryxxx's aerobics gym.

It's aboutfkntime people realize how much height and reach really matters even if your opponent isnt a slow, plodding coke withdrawing bum with zero head movement like Alfonso Gomez.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Cipher View Post
              It is. Lou Cipher was able to box the shoes off of Alfonso Gomez and land at will because Gomez was unable to get close enough to land his weak body shots on Lou Cipher's chiseled torso. I beat that boy like a slam man in larryxxx's aerobics gym.

It's aboutfkntime people realize how much height and reach really matters even if your opponent isnt a slow, plodding coke withdrawing bum with zero head movement like Alfonso Gomez.
              The shit just keeps falling out of you Lou Diaper, will it ever end?

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                No he isn't.
                My bad, light heavy titlist

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                  The shit just keeps falling out of you Lou Diaper, will it ever end?
                  Guess I'm in big trouble on 2-2-18! It will be an honor to be KO'd by you and have to hand over a valuable piece of Boxing history as well as the login of my account.

Just get over in the thread and accept the challenge for the Mods to witness! I know you're not afraid and are SALIVATING at the opportunity to destroy Lou Cipher and rid the boards of his presence.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
                    DLH knew how to use his reach, how did that work out against Pacquiao, Algiery knew how to use his reach, Morales knew how to use his reach, how did that work out?
                    Reach is important but it's only one attribute of many that could determine how a match up plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Cipher View Post
                      I beat that boy like a slam man in larryxxx's aerobics gym.
                      What's a slam man? Honestly, never heard that before.

Comment

Working...
                      X