Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
    Great career.

Ducked nobody. Fought everybody.

Even went up two natural weight classes to fight Hopkins. And really wasn't doing that bad until the liver shot.

Excellent style - flashy, exciting, but also technically sound. Wish more boxers today were like DLH.
    This ^^^

Hall of Fame status career...

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
      He was an avoided fighter prior to Shame Mosley taking him on. After he "lost" to Vargas, his next fight was on ESPN meanwhile Vargas fights trinidad, gets KTFO and gets offered DLH right after. If Mosley never fought him, he would have been on ESPN for the rest of his career.
      Who was he avoided by in that time span?

He never turned down money against Mayweather, they wanted him to make a weight he couldnt make and that was the end of that.
      He sure did.

He walked away from an absolutely reasonable 55-45 split, that would have been yet another career high pay day for him.

He wanted too much for the Taylor rematch that is true. After he got big, he wanted paydays that were commensurate with his skill level and not his marketability, which is not how it works in boxing, that he was guilty of but he was an avoided fighter after beating vargas and before facing mosley.
      Again, who was he avoided by?

Winky Wright priced himself out of a fight with Margarito also. Where he turned down $4 Million to fight him.

He turned down $5 Million against Jermain Taylor.

He turned down $6 Million against Oscar.

I don't think anyone has priced themselves out and walked away from as many mega fights as Winky Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        I don't keep all my scorecards, and don't still have this one. I haven't watched it in well over a decade (perhaps near 15 years) but my overall opinion at the time was that Quartey outboxed Oscar in several rounds with a superb jab that not only confused Oscar, but also made him go through a very strange, low activity spell.

I felt that Oscar needed the huge last last round to keep his unbeaten record at the time.........and even then, quite a few still thought Quartey unlucky.

I'd happily watch the fight again and see how the more mature Sugarj sees things......
        Wasn't that the fight where Oscar's dad got up from his seat angry to try to motivate him in the later rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Too bad it was a 12 round fight and Oscar only came to fight 8 rounds. Running in full retreat and refusing to engage is the opposite of a "boxing clinic".
          True, but didn't Jerry Roth score the 12th round for De La Hoya even though he didn't throw any punches in that round? That's still some pretty bad scoring.
          Last edited by Anthony342; 10-05-2012, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Wasn't that the fight where Oscar's dad got up from his seat angry to try to motivate him in the later rounds?
            I can't say; when I scored it yesterday I fast forwarded the minute intervals. But Oscar certainly went to sleep in the middle to late rounds.

Gil Clancy shouted at him that he looked like a man fighting through mud!

Comment

Very good career. I thought he beat Trinidad and Mosley, but I also thought he lost to Whitaker, Quartey and Sturm. I personally don't like him because of his fake image and lack of integrity, but there's no doubt that he was very good, even towards the end of his career. Also, people say stuff like "he fought everybody" and give him a lot of credit for that. Quite rightly so, but he wasn't a true champion in my eyes. For example he gave Julio Cesar Chavez a rematch when it wasn't really needed but when it came to giving Ike Quartey a neccesary rematch, his view was "absolutley not". Same thing with Whitaker and Sturm. I find it hard to respect someone who is like that. When Mayweather had a close battle with Castillo, he gave him a rematch straight away.

Comment

Working...
              X