No announcement yet.

Winner take all fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winner take all fights

I was trying figure out which was the last 'winner take all' HW championship fight; Who was the first challenger to hold enough clout to demand the (use to be) traditional 20%?

By the time of Tunney who got $180,00 to Dempsey's $600,000 guarantee (Dempsey made more off the film and gate, tapping out over $700,000.) the 20% ratio seems to have been intact and used for some time after that.

We know Corbett-Sullivan was winner take all but that Johnson had some sort of a small guarantee vs. Burns (which included two round trip tickets on a steamer; it wasn't much).

I wonder what caused the change; why did winner take all disappear?
    Last edited by Dempsey-Louis; 07-07-2018, 02:04 PM.

--- When winners became wieners?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      --- When winners became wieners?
      Not sure why this made me giggle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
        I was trying figure out which was the last 'winner take all' HW championship fight; Who was the first challenger to hold enough clout to demand the (use to be) traditional 20%?

By the time of Tunney who got $180,00 to Dempsey's $600,000 guarantee (Dempsey made more off the film and gate, tapping out over $700,000.) the 20% ratio seems to have been intact and used for some time after that.

We know Corbett-Sullivan was winner take all but that Johnson had some sort of a small guarantee vs. Burns (which included two round trip tickets on a steamer; it wasn't much).

I wonder what caused the change; why did winner take all disappear?
        With the robberies these days, who would take a chance.

Comment

--- TUE comes closest in the modern era, claiming 90-95% against an assorted bunch of TBAs kept dangling in the expense of start up training until the last moment.

With the commish, ref, drug testers, and judges in his pocket allayed with his extreme defensive nonengagement, he can probably go on into his 50s if he so chooses.

Comment

--- TUE comes closest in the modern era, claiming 90-95% against an assorted bunch of TBAs kept dangling in the expense of start up training until the last moment.

With the commish, ref, drug testers, and judges in his pocket allayed with his extreme defensive nonengagement, he can probably go on into his 50s if he so chooses.
            Hopkins did.

Comment

--- Yeah, but Popkins had his front teeth KOed and was as telegenic as a surly mole.

TUE to the new thug poster boy for the gold chained hip hoppers and their wannabes to replace Tyson.

Comment

--- Yeah, but Popkins had his front teeth KOed and was as telegenic as a surly mole.

TUE to the new thug poster boy for the gold chained hip hoppers and their wannabes to replace Tyson.
                I have no idea what TUE means. And I hate Floyd as much as the next guy. But he proved himself over time against solid comp. Seems funny you rank Wlad and Vits so highly but degrade a much more proven fighter.

Comment

--- OK, you pay no attention to drug testing issues, and I don't blame you.

TUE 50-0 padded out his record with half or more title fights at his palace at MGM in Vegas with his own officials, commish, and drug testing cartel, and the last third mostly against TBAs lucky to get 3 weeks of training and 5% of the purse.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    I have no idea what TUE means. And I hate Floyd as much as the next guy. But he proved himself over time against solid comp. Seems funny you rank Wlad and Vits so highly but degrade a much more proven fighter.
                    Damn right, brother.

Comment

Working...
                    X