No announcement yet.

HBO's Real Sports Features Victor Conte, Nonito Donaire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO's Real Sports Features Victor Conte, Nonito Donaire

Former BALCO founder, Victor Conte, who is working as a nutritionist for WBA interim super flyweight (115 pounds) titlist Nonito Donaire, among others, will be featured during a Feb. 15 edition of HBO's Real Sports, Conte informed FanHouse.

The Feb. 15 show will also include a segment examining former heavyweight champion, Mike Tyson.

Donaire (25-1, 17 knockouts) is preparing for an HBO televised, Top Rank Promotions clash on Feb. 19 at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas opposite WBO and WBC bantamweight (118 pounds) king Fernando Montiel (44-2-2, 34 KOs), of Mexico.

"Yeah, actually, HBO came in and they were there for two days for me," said Donaire, in an exclusive interview with FanHouse.

"They filmed my training with Victor and just everything that I do with Victor," said Donaire. "So, I'm going to be part of that one, and it's going to be good as long as they show how I did things and stuff like that."

A man who once made a four-year, career out of "helping athletes to circumvent" Olympic style drug testing policies such as those executed by United States Anti-Doping Agency "until BALCO was raided" in 2003, and he was imprisoned for a short time, Conte has since turned over a new leaf.

In a July interview, Conte told FanHouse that he has lent his expertise being "a part of the anti-doping movement, trying to help those at WADA [The World Anti-Doping Agency] and USADA [The United States Anti-Doping Agency] to develop more effective anti-doping policies and procedures."

Conte now runs SNAC -- an acronym for Scientific Nutrition for Advanced Conditioning -- which has been in existence since 1988 and supplies "perfectly legal sports nutrition products and supplements," he said.

Among Conte's clients is Donaire, for whom he oversees a supplementation program and special, high altitude training.

"[As part of his training,] Nonito Donaire routinely does comprehensive blood testing to monitor his health and training. There are specific markers that can be used to possibly indicate over-training syndrome," said Conte. "These markers can be used to help an athlete achieve an optimal balance between the training load and recovery intervals."

The blood testing is also designed to reveal abnormalities that signal the use of PEDs, said Conte.

"The use of PEDs can cause abnormalities in some of the parameters contained in a comprehensive metabolic blood profile. Elevated liver enzymes, reduced HDL cholesterol levels and high hematocrit percentages are examples," said Conte.

"Anti-doping officials refer to routine blood chemistry screening as 'biological passport' testing," said Conte. "It is simply another tool that is used in the attempt to reduce the use of drugs in sport."

Conte said that Donaire began working with him "about two-to-three months" prior to this July, eighth-round knockout of rising prospect Hernan Marquez (28-2, 21 KOs).

Donaire displayed power, speed and amazing skill during December's bantamweight debut, which was a fourth-round knockout Ukrainian former titlist Volodymyr Sydorenko (22-2-2, seven KOs).

Sydorenko's nose was broken, after being stopped for the first time in his career and being dropped once each in the first, third, and, fourth rounds.

"When I met Victor, it was a coincidence. We had the same bank. We lived near each other. When we met, it was just one of those things that fate put us together," said Donaire.

"It's really helped to find a guy like that. When I met him, he was honest about his past," said Donaire. "Victor has become like part of the family to me. He's out there to protect me, and I'm out there to protect him when it comes right down to it."

Donaire has indicated that he wants to emulate the career of Filipino countryman, Manny Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KOs), a WBO welterweight (147 titlist) who earned his record eighth crown over as many different weight divisions with the Nov. unanimous decision over ex-champion, Antonio Margarito (38-7, 27 KOs) for the WBC's junior middleweight (154 pounds) belt.

Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum has compared Donaire favorably to Pacquiao, whom Donaire said is, "definitely an inspiration in my career."

Because of his ability to rise in weight and retain power, and his twice-failed negotiations to make a bout with unbeaten, six-time titlist Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) over the issue of Olympic style drug testing of both blood and urine, Pacquiao has been the target of speculation that he has used PEDs.

Pacquiao has named Mayweather, his uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather, Floyd Mayweather Sr. and both Richard Schaefer and Oscar De La Hoya -- the CEO and President, respectively, of Golden Boy Promotions -- in a suit which seeks compensatory and punitive damages for defamation of character for their alleged accusations.

Boxing tests for illegal drugs, but only urine, although, for the first time in the sport's history, Mayweather and Shane Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) were subject to Olympic style drug testing of both body fluids by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) before Mayweather's May, 2010, unanimous decision over Mosley.

In 2003, Mosley admitted to injecting the steroids, "the cream," and, "the clear," but says that he did so unknowingly after having been supplied the drugs by Conte through a relationship with his former strength trainer, Daryl Hudson.

Mosley has dropped what had been an ongoing defamation suit against Conte, and has a May 7 clash against Pacquiao that will be televised on Showtime pay per view.

You know, that's why I'm willing to take any test that you have to offer, just in case that there my be any doubters out there. At any time, at any moment, at any second. You can come and take a test with me any time of day where there is no preparation on my part to hide anything," said Donaire.

"If they want to do it 24-7, throughout the entire year, then I'll be there
    I believe in everything that Victor has done for me and I believe that there is nothing to hide," said Donaire. "That's why I'm willing to go under the needle any time that they want me to. I believe in Victor, and to me, Victor has been a big part of my success now, and with all of my guys behind me, they've guided me to my best, and Victor's a big part of it as well."
Working...
X