Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we ever going to see a Bo Jackson in combat sports?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe at HW. For the most part, it's too tough to develop the nuances of boxing when you must spend so much time drilling other aspects. That's why "high level" MMA strikers tend to be pretty basic. I've trained around several well known ufc names and, even when they spent all day in the gym, they still didn't get to focus that much time on boxing because of all the work it takes to develop the other aspects of mma.

Comment

I think it'll for sure happen since there are many elements similar in boxing & MMA. I'd even speculate that there could be a hybrid competition created that will better allow boxers & MMA guys to compete & perhaps a whole new sport is born or just some special events could happen ever now & again in this hybrid sport of Boxing & MMA.

I mean I'm definitely a fan who'd like to see boxers not have pillows on their fists & MMA guys not be able to wrestlef#ck on the ground to "win" fights. I could create a whole new sport right now that I & I think many fans would love better than MMA or boxing. MMA-like smaller gloves. No grappling, holding or clinching. No kicking. If you get dropped you get a ten count to get up, but like in the Dempsey days you can be hit on the come up as your opponent doesn't need to keep any distance between himself & the downed opponent like in a real fight. And maybe steal MMA's rounds with 3 5 minute rounds & 5 5 minute rounds for title fights. Punches landed, damage & aggression are the main scoring criteria. Or I guess its easier explained by saying it'd be like boxing with MMA rules (which I believe to be superior to boxing rules almost across the board) minus the actual MMA style of fighting.

Comment

No, boxing is extremely skilled based and requires too much dedication to stay on top. Not enough time in the day to develop the skills to be #1 in both sports.

Comment

I doubt it, a guy with such an athletic ability would rather choose another sport before getting his face punched.
          And if a guy with such an athletic ability chooses fighting, would probably dedicate to only one of them that would consume all his time.

BTW, there is a guy called Reshat Mati who does boxing and mma, and even tho i haven't seen him in an mma fight, he is fairly skilled boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
            Holly Holm laid the groundwork for how it might be done. An excellent boxer with strong take-down defense.
            Which pretty much solidifies my theory on how it would happen where a pro boxer goes to MMA and dominate. I think someone with a decent ground game can do well in the UFC if their striking is on point.

Comment

Working...
            X