Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why It Is So Wonderful to Be a B-Hop fan!!! Bow down to the Legend!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why It Is So Wonderful to Be a B-Hop fan!!! Bow down to the Legend!

I have not yet perused the boards for feedback on the Executioner's amazing display of brilliance last night, but I feel the need to affirm my man B-Hop. I, myself, have just returned from my journey to AC from one of the most awe-inspiring feats I have ever seen in the ring. Thanks again to my brother (posts as Spiegelo), who got us tickets for my birthday! Congrats to him on his $2000 cash come-up, thanks to ridiculous 5:1 odds on Bodog. My voice is still recovering from vigorous B-Hop chants (at first in stubborn competition with overwhelming "Kelly" chants), and various "What son?!?"s, "Oh ****"s, etc. Thanks for those who have paid me vb on time, and those who haven't, please do so soon!

As for last night's display of total dominance, I am only now recovered enough from my high from the fight to formulate coherent, or semi-coherent thoughts on what I witnessed. Last night I was almost without words, just as I was without a voice by night's end, but I am now beginning to collect my thoughts as I write this.

Last night, Bernard Hopkins put on an exhibition, a display of his utter genius in the ring. I feel slightly bad, because I am also a Pavlik fan, but more so because of the shining hope that Kelly represented in the desolate city of Youngstown. I felt bad for the folks who had a long drive ahead of them that night, and must say that they acted like gentleman in AC after the fight. Having been humbled, they had no need to talk **** or get testy for the most point. There was just a quiet feeling of disappointment. Hopefully Youngstown can rejoice when Pavlik moves back down to 160 to dominate like I think he can. I only hope that B-Hop hasn't ruined him the way he has many a fighter. I don't think that will turn out to be the case, because Kelly is resilient. I also think that it is very commendable of B-Hop that he gave Kelly that pep talk after the fight to encourage the kid. That advice from the wise Jedi will only aid his recovery.

As for the topic of this thread. Let me say this much - B-Hop fans are diverse, yet unified by certain archetypal traits. They range from biased Philly natives who are merely rooting for the hometown legend, to people that are true students of the game and appreciate B-Hop for his defense, crisp accuracy, masterful counter punching, strategic economy of motion, his superb footwork, etc. In short, the latter are people that are not just the common, ignorant boxing "fan" who are looking for blood, but rather those who appreciate the true art of the sweet science: the art, that when employed properly, can make a young, seemingly unbeatable stud like Pavlik rethink everything he has ever known about throwing even a single punch. In rare instances, like in the case of my brother and I, these two breeds of B-Hop fan collide to form the ultimate informed B-Hop fan! We are not biased because of our geographical allegiance, though that does reinforce our loyalty to him, but we adore him because, simply put, he is one of the best boxers to ever lace up gloves.

Either way, us Bernard Hopkins fans usually share an affinity for rooting for the underdog. Tito Trinidad, Antonio Tarver, Joe Calzaghe Winky Wright, Kelly Pavlik; the list of fighters who were expected to win (and win big) against an "over-matched" B-Hop goes on and on. Having personally attended the Tarver, Winky and Pavlik fights, I can say that nothing beats the feeling of going to AC to see Hopkins embarrass his opponents despite the odds.

Though I'm a fan of Pavlik, I was quite disturbed by the boos the Pavlik fans showered upon Hopkins at the weigh-in. I'll tell you this, by round three the Kelly chants had been quelled and the feeling of the underdog rising to glory had captured the night. This was Bernard Hopkins time to reclaim glory. The ominous, resurrected Executioner's Mask, the reappearance of the old Towel Robe that Sugar Ray Robinson had once worn in Philadelphia, the Obama apparel adorned by the Hopkins crew all set the tone of hope, triggering the feeling that something special was about to happen. From the opening bell it was evident who was the master. Once the "Kelly" chants had been deflated of all life, it had become evident that another once-favored Hopkins opponent (or should I say victim) had entered "shark-infested waters" (as Larry Merchant so eloquently put it when Antonio Tarver started to falter against the legend).

B-Hop has now broken the chain of succession. His title was taken from him from the powers that be, unjustly, in the eyes of the fans and critics. But then again, he was never supposed to gain control in the corrupt boxing system in the first place, let alone maintain his status at the top for so long, but it couldn't be helped so long as he was dominating every opponent. It was not until after B-Hop had began to adapt his style do to his age, that JT was able to came along and steal everything that B-Hop had worked for in unifying the titles and defending the IBF title a record 20 times. There was a price to pay, however, as Taylor was not the same fighter after those 2 Hopkins fights. It showed in each of his lackluster performances thereafter, until the young lion Pavlik slumped him in the corner that fateful September night in 2007.

In the eyes of many, it would be the perfect storybook ending (or beginning depending on how you look at it) for Pavlik to finish off Hopkins. Such a feat would officially sanction the passing of the torch from one generation to the next. Instead, Hopkins, once again, stuck it to the man, refusing to go gentle into that good night. Instead of this symbolic bout restoring order and respect to the legitimacy of the middleweight lineage, it would only add confusion, disorder and chaos. B-Hop wouldn't have it any other way!

I'm gonna say this now, and I don't care who agrees or disagrees. I have seen the fights of Hagler, Monzon, and Hopkins. In fact, my bro has their box sets. Despite the greatness of his predecessors, Bernard Hopkins is, indeed, the greatest Middleweight of all-time- a true legend. You can disagree with me, but as a Hopkins fan, I know a little about being the underdog. It is a position that I do not mind being in one bit, but rather I feel completely comfortable and confident in my conviction, just like the legend himself, Bernard Hopkins!

...Now I just have to decide how I can possibly divide my allegiances for Roy-Hopkins II once Roy beats Calzaghe...
    Last edited by mspiegelo; 10-20-2008, 10:18 PM.

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
    I have not yet perused the boards for feedback on the Executioner's amazing display of brilliance last night, but I feel the need to affirm my man B-Hop. I, myself, have just returned from my journey to AC from one of the most awe-inspiring feats I have ever seen in the ring. Thanks again to my brother (posts as Spiegelo), who got us tickets for my birthday! Congrats to him on his $2000 cash come-up, thanks to ridiculous 5:1 odds on Bodog. My voice is still recovering from vigorous B-Hop chants (at first in stubborn competition with overwhelming "Kelly" chants), and various "What son?!?"s, "Oh ****"s, etc. Thanks for those who have paid me vb on time, and those who haven't, please do so soon!

As for last night's display of total dominance, I am only now recovered enough from my high from the fight to formulate coherent, or semi-coherent thoughts on what I witnessed. Last night I was almost without words, just as I was without a voice by night's end, but I am now beginning to collect my thoughts as I write this.

Last night, Bernard Hopkins put on an exhibition, a display of his utter genius in the ring. I feel slightly bad, because I am also a Pavlik fan, but more so because of the shining hope that Kelly represented in the desolate city of Youngstown. I felt bad for the folks who had a long drive ahead of them that night, and must say that they acted like gentleman in AC after the fight. Having been humbled, they had no need to talk **** or get testy for the most point. There was just a quiet feeling of disappointment. Hopefully Youngstown can rejoice when Pavlik moves back down to 160 to dominate like I think he can. I only hope that B-Hop hasn't ruined him the way he has many a fighter. I don't think that will turn out to be the case, because Kelly is resilient. I also think that it is very commendable of B-Hop that he gave Kelly that pep talk after the fight to encourage the kid. That advice from the wise Jedi will only aid his recovery.

As for the topic of this thread. Let me say this much - B-Hop fans are diverse, yet unified by certain archetypal traits. They range from biased Philly natives who are merely rooting for the hometown legend, to people that are true students of the game and appreciate B-Hop for his defense, crisp accuracy, masterful counter punching, strategic economy of motion, his superb footwork, etc. In short, the latter are people that are not just the common, ignorant boxing "fan" who are looking for blood, but rather those who appreciate the true art of the sweet science: the art, that when employed properly, can make a young, seemingly unbeatable stud like Pavlik rethink everything he has ever known about throwing even a single punch. In rare instances, like in the case of my brother and I, these two breeds of B-Hop fan collide to form the ultimate informed B-Hop fan! We are not biased because of our geographical allegiance, though that reinforces our loyalty to him, because we adore him because, simply put, he is one of the best boxers to ever lace up gloves.

Either way, us Bernard Hopkins fans usually share an affinity for rooting for the underdog. Tito Trinidad, Antonio Tarver, Joe Calzaghe Winky Wright, Kelly Pavlik; the list of fighters who were expected to win (and win big) against an "over-matched" B-Hop goes on and on. Having personally attended the Tarver, Winky and Pavlik fights, I can say that nothing beats the feeling of going to AC to see Hopkins embarrass his opponents despite the odds.

Though I'm a fan of Pavlik, I was quite disturbed by the boos the Pavlik fans showered upon Hopkins at the weigh-in. I'll tell you this, by round three the Kelly chants had been quelled and the feeling of the underdog rising to glory had captured the night. This was Bernard Hopkins time to reclaim glory. The ominous, resurrected Executioner's Mask, the reappearance of the old Towel Robe that Sugar Ray Robinson had once worn in Philadelphia, the Obama apparel adorned by the Hopkins crew all set the tone of hope, triggering the feeling that something special was about to happen. From the opening bell it was evident who was the master. Once the "Kelly" chants had been deflated of all life, it had become evident that another once-favored Hopkins opponent (or should I say victim) had entered "shark-infested waters" (as Larry Merchant so eloquently put it when Antonio Tarver started to falter against the legend).

B-Hop has now broken the chain of succession. His title was taken from him from the powers that be, unjustly, in the eyes of the fans and critics. But then again, he was never supposed to gain control in the corrupt boxing system in the first place, let alone maintain his status at the top for so long, but it couldn't be helped so long as he was dominating every opponent. It was not until after B-Hop had began to adapt his style do to his age, that JT was able to came along and steal everything that B-Hop had worked for in unifying the titles and defending the IBF title a record 20 times. There was a price to pay, however, as Taylor was not the same fighter after those 2 Hopkins fights. It showed in each of his lackluster performances thereafter, until the young lion Pavlik slumped him in the corner that fateful September night in 2007.

In the eyes of many, it would be the perfect storybook ending (or beginning depending on how you look at it) for Pavlik to finish off Hopkins. Such a feat would officially sanction the passing of the torch from one generation to the next. Instead, Hopkins, once again, stuck it to the man, refusing to go gentle into that good night. Instead of this symbolic bout restoring order and respect to the legitimacy of the middleweight lineage, it would only add confusion, disorder and chaos. B-Hop wouldn't have it any other way!

I'm gonna say this now, and I don't care who agrees or disagrees. I have seen the fights of Hagler, Monzon, and Hopkins. In fact, my bro has their box sets. Despite the greatness of his predecessors, Bernard Hopkins is, indeed, the greatest Middleweight of all-time- a true legend. You can disagree with me, but as a Hopkins fan, I know a little about being the underdog. It is a position that I do not mind being in one bit, but rather I feel completely comfortable and confident in my conviction, just like the legend himself, Bernard Hopkins!

...Now I just have to decide how I can possibly divide my allegiances for Roy-Hopkins II once Roy beats Calzaghe...

Comment

All due respect, nobody is gonna read that.

Comment

There is a point where people can go too far with this

He won ok we get it! He is not Jesus.

Comment

Good post....glad I was able to give you guys a heads up about the tickets. I of course was there as well.

After about the 4th round I said to myself that even if he fades and loses during the second half of the fight he deserves a standing ovation at the end for putting out that kind of effort and performance at age 43. Just like in Rocky VI haha...

Comment

As for the topic of this thread. Let me say this much - B-Hop fans are diverse, yet unified by certain archetypal traits. They range from biased Philly natives who are merely rooting for the hometown legend, to people that are true students of the game and appreciate B-Hop for his defense, crisp accuracy, masterful counter punching, strategic economy of motion, his superb footwork, etc. In short, the latter are people that are not just the common, ignorant boxing "fan" who are looking for blood, but rather those who appreciate the true art of the sweet science: the art, that when employed properly, can make a young, seemingly unbeatable stud like Pavlik rethink everything he has ever known about throwing even a single punch. In rare instances, like in the case of my brother and I, these two breeds of B-Hop fan collide to form the ultimate informed B-Hop fan! We are not biased because of our geographical allegiance, though that reinforces our loyalty to him, because we adore him because, simply put, he is one of the best boxers to ever lace up gloves.

good post man

Comment

It's great that he is often an underdog because most ppl dont know ****.

Lol @ Jones bitter at seeing his huge fight with Tito vanish as soon as DK put him in with Hop.

Comment

Good post...wishing I had money to put on the fight. I called Hopkins to win by UD but what he did...never would've guessed.

Comment

good post

Comment

I wanna say respect to the real B-Hop fans on here..
                    The ones who have stuck by him through his defeats to Taylor and Joe
                    y'all can hold ur head up high around here..

Comment

Working...
                    X