Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm in butt make it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
      Rewarding extra points for 'controversial' fights is going to be a problem, whether a fight was controversial/robbery or not is subjective, people are gonna have different opinions. I would recommend going by the official result/scoring.
      yeah true i didnt give it much thought just didnt know if there was a way. guess the points for a close decision will help cause unlikely that theres going to be 3 wide cards for a robbery

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
        Freedom brought my attention to a game on the BoxRec forums where you make fight predictions and receive points based on how accurate your prediction was. Over the course of the year players have the opportunity to score dozens of fights and maneuver their way through the rankings.

To start, I'd like to gather some input from everyone here on NSB. I'd like to know who is interested in playing & what people think the rules should look like.

Throughout the year I'd also like continual input from everyone playing on what fights are big or interesting enough to include in the game.

If the game ends up being a success, we can always discuss ways to change/improve the game for the upcoming year.

Ground rules:
        - At least one week prior to each fight, a new thread will be made for the purpose of allowing people to record their predictions.
        - You'll only receive credit for your first valid prediction on any given fight.
        - Predictions must be made prior to the start of the fight, and must not be edited at any time for any reason. Please do not quote any of these posts.
        - You do not need to make a prediction for every fight to stay in the game, but obviously you will receive no points if you do so.

Possible rules, up for discussion:
        How to record a pick
        In a given Pick 'em fight thread, write the following:

NICKNAME,WINNER,RESULT TYPE,RESULT DETAIL,MULTIPLIER

Your post must match this format and have no other text in it. Rules for each part of the pick format, and examples below

NICKNAME
        Your BScene username. If your user name changes during the competition, please make me aware of that.

WINNER
        Last name only of your pick.

RESULT TYPE
        KO = Will cover all type of stoppage wins - TKO, KO, DQ
        DEC = Will cover all type of decision wins - UD, MD, SD, TD

RESULT DETAIL
        If you picked KO, include the round number.
        If you picked DEC, include either 'CLOSE', 'WIDE', or 'DOMINANT'.

CLOSE = Total score difference is 11 pts or less
        eg. Closer than having 116-112 on all cards

WIDE = Total score difference of 12-18 pts
        eg. Equivalent to 116-112 on all cards through 117-111 on all cards.

DOMINANT = Total score difference of 19+ pts
        eg. Wider than 117-111 on all scorecards

If the fight is a 10 round fight or ends in a technical decision, these cutoffs are scaled down proportionately.

For example, WIDE on a 10 round fight is (10/12)(12-18) or 10-15 pt score difference.

MULTIPLIER
        Every player will have the option to use multipliers throughout the game when they feel especially confident of their prediction. It can also allow players who joined late an opportunity to get in the game by scoring a big pick.

2X = Get twice as many points for this prediction. You will have three of these in the game.

3X = Get triple as many points for this prediction. You will two of these in the game.

Otherwise, write 1X for normal points.

EXAMPLE
        A correct prediction for last night's main event would be

Alternatively if I was being more realistic, for last night's main event I might have said

How scores/rankings will be updated

After each fight, your score for that fight will be calculated as follows:

Correct Pick = 20 pts
        Correct Result Type = 5 pts
        Result Detail Bonuses:
        If KO,
        +5 for correct round
        +4 for being 1 round off
        +3 for being 2 rounds off
        +2 for being 3 rounds off
        +1 for being 4 rounds off

If DEC,
        +5 for correct detail
        +2 for detail off by 1 (Order - CLOSE/WIDE/DOMINANT)

Wrong Fighter = 0 pts
        Exception:
        If you pick a fighter by close decision, and the other fighter wins a close decision, you'll receive 50% credit.

Draw = 0 pts for all

The total of above results in your BASE SCORE. Your BASE SCORE for a fight will multiplied by all applicable multipliers.

Rare-Pick Bonus = 1.5X Multiplier
        If you pick a fighter to win correctly that is picked by 25% or fewer of players, this bonus will be applied.

Impossible-Pick Bonus = 1.75X Muliplier
        If you a pick a fighter to win correctly that is picked by 10% or fewer of the players, this bonus is applied instead of the Rare-Pick Bonus.

Perfect Rare-Pick Bonus = 2.0X Multiplier
        If you guess the correct fighter, result type & detail, and 25% or fewer of the players picked the correct fighter, this bonus is applied instead of the Rare-Pick Bonus.

Perfect Impossible-Pick Bonus = 3.00X Multiplier
        If you guess the correct fighter, result type & detail, and 10% or fewer of the players picked the correct fighter, this bonus is applied instead of the Impossible-Pick Bonus.

Other Details
        -Score and rankings updates will be made available 24-48 hours after a fight
        -Rankings will include number of remaining multipliers you have left.
        -If you attempt to use a multiplier that you do not have, I will use the highest available multiplier that is less than the one you tried to use. For example, if you say 2X without any 2Xs left, I will treat it as a 1X play. If you use a 3X without any 3Xs left, I will try to use a 2X.

TODO (for myself):
        - I'd like to make a programmatic way to manage the game to minimize the amount of overhead. I'll spin up a server with a database for storing fights and user scores, and have a thin web app that will make it as painless as possible to update the scores and spit out rankings. If a lot of people play, and I have enough time, maybe even writing a script that parses the threads and updates the scores without manual intervention would be ideal.
        - Pretty up these rules

Comment

Yeah count me in. I can't possibly do any worse than I've managed on Last Man Standing so my shredded credibility can only go up... probably.

Should be fun whatever. Nice one B-Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by STEELHEAD View Post
            i'm in butt make it simple.
            Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
            yeah im in if its kept simple. Dont know if there is a way to factor in robberies/controversial endings though, was saying this to freedom earlier. Would piss me off if i made a good pick, like with chisora and kovalev on points recently and the judges say otherwise and i get jack****, yet people who made the standard ward and whyte picks would get the points. Is why i stopped boxing betting after groves froch 1 where i had money on groves
            On the topic of simple, what is the opinion of the multipliers and bonuses? I think there are benefits to it but the game doesn't need them per se. Whatever people feel is best I'll run with.

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
            Rewarding extra points for 'controversial' fights is going to be a problem, whether a fight was controversial/robbery or not is subjective, people are gonna have different opinions. I would recommend going by the official result/scoring.
            Yeah I'm reluctant to get involved in making the calls in controversial cases. If anything it's worse to give one person (even if it's me) the ability to null out a fight they don't agree with than to go with the official decision.

I think the 50% thing will mend some wounds in fights that are clearly very close. On the flip side, it also arguably makes the DEC CLOSE choice too attractive, because then you win points on a pretty wide array of plausible scorecards.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                yeah im in if its kept simple. Dont know if there is a way to factor in robberies/controversial endings though, was saying this to freedom earlier. Would piss me off if i made a good pick, like with chisora and kovalev on points recently and the judges say otherwise and i get jack****, yet people who made the standard ward and whyte picks would get the points. Is why i stopped boxing betting after groves froch 1 where i had money on groves
                Groves
                The same groves who was on his way to getting knocked the f out?
                The groves who was out on his feet?
                The groves who was saved by the ref due to taking too many punches and not responding?
                The groves that cried when he lost?
                The groves who got knocked out in front of 80,000 at Wembley?
                That groves?
                You put money on groves to beat froch?
                And moan when froch forces the ref to stop the fight?
                Yeah you shouldn't bet money
                Bet me if your giving it away

Comment

Anyway count me in

Comment

Originally posted by Mc,Lovin View Post
                    Groves
                    The same groves who was on his way to getting knocked the f out?
                    The groves who was out on his feet?
                    The groves who was saved by the ref due to taking too many punches and not responding?
                    The groves that cried when he lost?
                    The groves who got knocked out in front of 80,000 at Wembley?
                    That groves?
                    You put money on groves to beat froch?
                    And moan when froch forces the ref to stop the fight?
                    Yeah you shouldn't bet money
                    Bet me if your giving it away
                    groves losing in second fight has nothing to do with it seen as i bet on him in first fight and neither does half of the stuff youve put. Groves odds were pretty long and froch has always been a beatable fighter. Not a bad bet seen as he put froch on his pants and was way up on the cards before eddie hearns man decided to jump in as soon as groves got wobbled. If you thought he took too many punches before not responding or was out on his feet i suggest you watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                      On the topic of simple, what is the opinion of the multipliers and bonuses? I think there are benefits to it but the game doesn't need them per se. Whatever people feel is best I'll run with.

Yeah I'm reluctant to get involved in making the calls in controversial cases. If anything it's worse to give one person (even if it's me) the ability to null out a fight they don't agree with than to go with the official decision.

I think the 50% thing will mend some wounds in fights that are clearly very close. On the flip side, it also arguably makes the DEC CLOSE choice too attractive, because then you win points on a pretty wide array of plausible scorecards.
                      Yeah, you kinda got to abide by the official decision - it may suck on occasion, but otherwise opens the way for all kinds of objections. What I would maybe suggest though is either lowering the close loss bonus to 25% or only giving the 50% in the event of a 'very close' fight (maybe +/- 6 pts). Also I'd maybe make the 'dec close' result a teeny bit closer - perhaps 9 or 10pts, though I guess what counts as a close score varies from person to person.

Like the idea of the multipliers though - it does give the chance of a long pick really bringing your score up (which is just the kind of edge I may need... lol) but it does kinda bring a significant element of luck into it, which some may feel unbalancing.

Comment

Working...
                      X