Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loeffler wasn't sure Ward could make 168. So why did he mention 164?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
    We all know they had no intentions of fighting Ward as of now. No need to prolong the whole saga, i actually respect them more now for coming out and saying it.

Oppose to the dumb excuses that we heard in the past. I understand the reason they came out with excuses but then it is a lesson for future promoters.

Don't try and sell your fighter with the "Nobody want to fight us" or "We would fight anyone from this weight to that weight" sort of marketing point.

Because in boxing people would come you out on it, then your fanboys would be left desperately looking for anything to defend you.
    Yea, that's pretty much what happened. A couple years ago, everyone here loved Golovkin and you'd get buried if you ever questioned the guy (ask me how I know). After the Ward call out, Lemieux PPV, Wade, Brook, and other embarrassments, there's only about a dozen guys left here defending him avidly (half of which are rotating alts) and the reasonable ones, the majority, have gotten pretty quiet.

This is so easily remedied by taking a challenging fight. But, if that's not what they're into then they're going to suffer the ridicule that inevitably goes along with it, as are the fans. As a Calzaghe fan, I went through it myself and those with integrity with just deal with it and not make up excuses. Joe eventually fought Hopkins. Maybe GGG will find an good opponent to save his legacy. Hopefully it's not Hopkins too...

Comment

Pretty straightforward of you ask me. Team GGG were (and are) terrified of the thought of Andre Ward.

Comment

It's obvious they swerved Ward....they never wanted THAT work!!

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
          It's less ridiculous than asking for 50/50 and full weight concession from the smaller guy, much better draw. If Ward is that much bigger, then he shouldnt be looking that far down, and you shouldn't be starting dozens of threads in support of that lol
          It's hilarious to see folks continue on with this "better draw" nonsense; the only event that Golovkin has ever sold better than Ward's best gate at was the Madison Square Garden "sellout" against David Lemieux (only anecdotal, the fact that there are stories out there where folks were able to pick up tickets on 2 for $30 deals has me doubting Loeffler's final gate number, with Loeffler being the only person standing by that number), and Ward and Golovkin draw similar numbers for their fights (even with the extended ring layoff, Ward's HBO numbers for the Barrera fight weren't all that far off from any Golovkin fight on HBO).

Once Golovkin and his camp didn't want the work, Ward moved on; Ward fought Sullivan Barrera for almost $2m, will likely get another $2m to fight Alexander Brand (both fights in his home venue in Oakland), and he's signed to fight Kovalev in November (in a PPV fight that's likely to have a 50/50 share in its own right; $4m to Ward on that fight isn't an unreasonable number).

If Golovkin was as big a draw as you claim he is, he wouldn't have been thirsting after the UK payday so hard that he and his camp are openly trying to defend dragging a welterweight up 13lbs for a fight.

Comment

Because they had to try and save face, so they made an offer they knew was unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              It's less ridiculous than asking for 50/50 and full weight concession from the smaller guy, much better draw. If Ward is that much bigger, then he shouldnt be looking that far down, and you shouldn't be starting dozens of threads in support of that lol
              Much better draw? Ward and Golovkin get around the same purses, there's no A-side in that fight. You can dream Golovkin will become a draw in the UK but that isn't happening, only fights involving UK fighters are draws in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                Tom Loeffler right says he wasn't sure Ward could even make 168 again because he'd just fought Smith at 172. I'm still trying to figure out why would he mention 164 if he wasn't sure Ward could even make 168.

It's called a win/win. By including 164, he can hide behind the notion that they didn't duck a Ward fight (win) and they wouldn't actually have to fight Ward (win).

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                  We all know they had no intentions of fighting Ward as of now. No need to prolong the whole saga, i actually respect them more now for coming out and saying it.

Oppose to the dumb excuses that we heard in the past. I understand the reason they came out with excuses but then it is a lesson for future promoters.

Don't try and sell your fighter with the "Nobody want to fight us" or "We would fight anyone from this weight to that weight" sort of marketing point.

Because in boxing people would come you out on it, then your fanboys would be left desperately looking for anything to defend you.
                  Yep but Sanchez just came out and said they wanted to fight Ward last year. Then I see so many people defending the 164 as if it meant they wanted the fight. But Loeffler himself said he wasn't sure Ward could make 168 so imo the 164 mention meant they didn't want any parts of Ward.

Comment

Pretty obvious innit.

"50/50 money and weight" = "We want more than 50% of the purse to fight Ward at 168"

That was in 2015. Things might be different by 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                      Pretty obvious innit.

"50/50 money and weight" = "We want more than 50% of the purse to fight Ward at 168"

That was in 2015. Things might be different by 2017.
                      Yes obvious to everyone apart from Lil Gina's like you.

Lil G wanted no part of Ward.

Comment

Working...
                      X