Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nunn-Collins was first mention before Nunn-Toney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's no way I could see Collins beating Nunn. People forget how good of a boxer he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
      Nunn was somewhat overshadowed by McCallum's exciting win over Watson in 1990, maybe the reason they wanted a more interesting opponent and Arum promises the winner of Toney-Sosa in March (that's a period of two months!) to get a title shot at Nunn.

Collins was never a threat in the early 90s, even losing to Sumbu Kalambay.
      Kalambay like Collins is one of the most underrated fighters ever

Comment

Micheal nunn at his peak was a great fighter.. Southpaw with range, skill and power. He was easily coasting to a win over toney till about the 10th rd. and toney is atg type talent. Collins was a good fighter but I don't think he could beat nunn at the time, maybe later in the mid 90s but not in 91

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          Micheal nunn at his peak was a great fighter.. Southpaw with range, skill and power. He was easily coasting to a win over toney till about the 10th rd. and toney is atg type talent. Collins was a good fighter but I don't think he could beat nunn at the time, maybe later in the mid 90s but not in 91
          You're right. A prime Nunn was way too fast and sharp for Collins. Collins goes the distance, but that's about it. The time span you laid out seems accurate.

Comment

Well said agreed. Nunn had incredible potential and he was indeed beating Toney.

Comment

Nunn fighting style was a thing of beauty, but he got to complacent with his own defense, and that led him to his demise against Toney.

Actually, even in his first title fight against Tate, he would get hit with shots with his chin straight up in the air, but Tate didn't have the power to hurt him. I don't think Collins would have the power to stop him, but it wouldn't be so easy, Collins was just relentless as they come. Damn, he gave a prime McCallum his most hard earned victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer_of_Sheep View Post
                Nunn fighting style was a thing of beauty, but he got to complacent with his own defense, and that led him to his demise against Toney.

Actually, even in his first title fight against Tate, he would get hit with shots with his chin straight up in the air, but Tate didn't have the power to hurt him. I don't think Collins would have the power to stop him, but it wouldn't be so easy, Collins was just relentless as they come. Damn, he gave a prime McCallum his most hard earned victory.
                When he beat Tate, I honestly thought nunn was going to be a legend

Comment

When he beat Tate, I honestly thought nunn was going to be a legend
                  I bought into it as well. The worse thing to happen was for him to fight Toney in his hometown in Iowa. He hooked up with the wrong people from his past. But even on his downslide he was still tough to beat.

Comment

Working...
                  X