Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it some boxers are feather fisted?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it some boxers are feather fisted?

Might be a simple answer but I mean the guys train how to punch for most of their lives and they still cant hit hard, guys like Sergio mora , Paulie malignaggi. Is it because a puncher really is born not made?

You can train to have a better punch but you can't train to be a puncher.

I'm thinking it's more of a bone/joint structure and torque thing.

Comment

This is a complicated question because I think it could be different from fighter to fighter. I think it could be one of the following...

-their training routines
      -genetics
      -foot placement (feet not planted correctly, moves too much to get a solid hit)
      -the way they swing (technique or trying to swing too fast and give up power in the process)
      -their style (purposely don't hit hard because they're a volume puncher or conserve energy for later rounds.)
      Last edited by SnakeVen0m; 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I was once knocked out by paulie malignaggi in fight night round 4 i was shocked

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
          This is a complicated question because I think it could be different from fighter to fighter. I think it could be one of the following...

-their training routines
          -genetics
          -foot placement (feet not planted correctly, moves too much to get a solid hit)
          -the way they swing (technique or trying to swing too fast and give up power in the process)
          -their style (purposely don't hit hard because they're a volume puncher or conserve energy for later rounds.)
          yeah bro all that is deffo factor, its just weird to me that they practise most of the time and still cant punch hard.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMES_THUNDER View Post
            yeah bro all that is deffo factor, its just weird to me that they practise most of the time and still cant punch hard.
            Yeah, its strange at no point in their whole careers did any trainer say to throw punches in a wider stance etc.
            I've always wanted to know how weak punching some fighters are, like say in comparison to the average shmoe who goes to a boxing gym. Surely Paulie's punches "hurt"..maybe not enough to knock out another pro fighters but they must feel something..?

Comment

it all comes down to if they know how to throw a power punch. It all about throwing it the proper way and when to activate all your muscle at once, your bicep, your shoulder, your chest, your wings etc etc.

Most feather fisted fighters are because they dont commit to their punches and when they try to they just get the basic down, like the pivot, and the lunge but dont know how to activiate all their muscles at the right time to add the real power behind their punch..

Comment

Might be a simple answer but I mean the guys train how to punch for most of their lives and they still cant hit hard, guys like Sergio mora , Paulie malignaggi. Is it because a puncher really is born not made?
                The bottom line is that punching power, like having a good chin to a large extent is natural. So, even when you work on things like foot placement and torque, it can only help so much. Tim Bradley is a perfect example. He is probably one of the most muscular guys in the game right now but cant crack an egg. Another thing to look at is leg power - the power comes from the legs and ability to torque your core.

Its just like hitting power in baseball. You can teach a guy how to hit all you want - you cant necessarily control how the ball jumps of the bat once you made your move.

Comment

Some good examples of natural punchers are Valero and Randall Bailey. Nobody can argue with me that they are not the finnest and skillful fighters out there but they have god-given punching power.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
                    it all comes down to if they know how to throw a power punch. It all about throwing it the proper way and when to activate all your muscle at once, your bicep, your shoulder, your chest, your wings etc etc.

Most feather fisted fighters are because they dont commit to their punches and when they try to they just get the basic down, like the pivot, and the lunge but dont know how to activiate all their muscles at the right time to add the real power behind their punch..
                    great great post bro, i had a similar idea but u nailed it better, i was thinking specially when the punch is about to land you clench all your muscles .

Comment

Working...
                    X