Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Good Was Tommy Uren ????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOMMY UREN Vs HARRY STONE (U.S.A.) - Fight #4.

Sydney Stadium scrap on Saturday night last was between Tommy Uren (Aus.) and Harry Stone (U.S.A.), and the Australian won on points. . Originally the date was fixed for the meeting of Dave. Smith and Joe Chip, but it was found necessary to abandon the scrap., Uren and Stone have now fought four times. Uren has won three of the bouts, Stone once. A fortnight ago tho pair' met m Brisbane and Uren won.

Comment

Another BUMP for one very decent but sadly forgotten fighter, considering the amount of big names he fought ( and did very well against ).. I believe he deserves to be noticed, I actually blame Darcy for the fact that Uren is forgotten,, if Darcy had lived longer maybe Uren would have had a higher profile, instead of being the first in a long line of Aussies to be called "the next Les Darcy", when in actual fact he was the one and only, Tommy Uren.

Comment

This report was for his loss against Jimmy Clabby

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          I'm sorry but I have to ask...how was this guys last name pronounced?
          urine i think

Comment

This is a bizarre thread...

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
              This is a bizarre thread...
              Why bizarre ?...................... several links to information about the fighter, or is it a rule here that I only talk about the same guys everyone else does,, so, why do you say bizarre,, I think the question is a bit bizarre. I will continue to bring names forth into the light, there simply is no doubt that Tommy Uren (yoo-ren, for Barney) was a helluva fighter, his resume is very good, and please dont insult the man's memory he was also a war hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                urine i think
                FFS... Yoo-Ren............

Comment

I have to say I've never heard of the man, but he certainly sounds like a multi-talented chap. My take on it is that he was a very good fighter of the era, but perhaps never did anything special enough to be immortalised in boxing history. Thanks for sharing

Comment

I'm not too well versed on the era but Clabby and McGoorty are the only names I recognised and he did well against them, a decent contender.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                      I have to say I've never heard of the man, but he certainly sounds like a multi-talented chap. My take on it is that he was a very good fighter of the era, but perhaps never did anything special enough to be immortalised in boxing history. Thanks for sharing
                      Thank Rory and to Barnburner as well, and both of you made fair comments, there is never any question as to him being Immortalised, no I am not trying to claim him as an all time great, far from it. Contender is what Tommy was, no doubt about it, but the mans life story is notable. Apart from being one of the better fighters of his time, Tommy Uren joined the AIF at what must have been at a grandfather type of age and he fought against the Japanese, and then he survived shocking conditions as a POW for most of the war, and most people know that just to survive Changi is a feat of its own, the cruelty the POW's suffered is legendary. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- He then took up politics (joining the Labor party, whose politics I do not like, but thats another story),, and was a member of parliament and was certainly far better known for that than he was a boxer. For every famous boxer there are dozens of highly talented fighters, Tommy Uren was such a fighter and boxing was better off for having him than it would have been without him.

Comment

Working...
                      X