Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody eat cereal for breakfast anymore?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody eat cereal for breakfast anymore?

Better eat your Wheaties? General Mills wishes you were. And people apparently aren't so cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs either.

General Mills, which owns those two popular cereal brands as well as Cheerios, Lucky Charms and Trix, reported weaker than expected revenue for its latest quarter Tuesday morning. Sales fell 5% from a year ago--more than expected.

And it's the seventh straight quarter that sales at General Mills (GIS) were down.

General Mills is having trouble getting people to eat cereal. And it's a challenge that rivals are dealing with as well.

Kellogg (K) said last month that sales for what it dubs its morning foods, which includes iconic brands Frosted Flakes and Rice Krispies as well as Pop-Tarts, were down from a year ago. (Morning foods? I've been known to munch on a Pop-Tart after dark.)

The latest quarterly sales for Post (POST), which owns Fruity Pebbles and Honey Bunches of Oats, were flat compared to a year ago.

Soda and snack food giant Pepsi (PEP), which also owns Life and Cap'n Crunch cereal maker Quaker Foods, only reported a 5% increase in revenue from that unit in its most recent quarter.

And Pepsi didn't even talk about cereal in its earnings release or conference call. Instead, CEO Indra Nooyi touted the company's new healthier Quaker Breakfast Flats fruit and nuts bars.

All this begs the question. Does anyone besides Seinfeld-loving Gen Xers and Baby Boomers even eat cereal anymore?

There's anecdotal evidence that Millennials aren't cereal addicts. Part of it is the cost.

Even though deflation for many agricultural commodities have put a dent in food prices lately, the general trend for cereal over the past few years has been higher prices for smaller boxes.

So cash-strapped younger people may not find cereal to be a good value.

What's more, numerous stories about the loads of sugar in many breakfast staples have parents less inclined to give their kids fruity and chocolatey cereals in the morning. As a dad of two preternaturally wired young boys, I can attest to that.

And it's a big reason why many of the cereal companies are starting to cut back on sugar and artificial colorings and pushing healthier offerings with more grains.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/21/inve...ex.html?iid=EL

I dont have time for breakfast at home

Comment

Originally posted by Freedef View Post
      I dont have time for breakfast at home
      Prior to reading this article, I didn't realize that its been years since I ate cereal... many years.

Comment

people are becoming more health conscious hence why places like madonalds which are traditionally fries and burger places started offering salads

Comment

It's great and I feel very happy

Comment

Everybody is intermittent fasting

Comment

i will eat it on occasion if i'm in a rush and gotta get myself out the door

Comment

it's convenient for me , very low fat in cereal

Comment

Buying the cereal I used to eat seems a lil bit like buying toys as an adult. Fruit Loops, Coco Pebbles, Coco Puffs. The only semi-un-child-like cereal I can buy is Golden Grahams.

Plus I'm of the opinion breakfast is a bs meal thats been pushed on us by consumers to buy all these random foods people wouldn't & largely don't eat for anything but breakfast & I also feel the whole "3 meals a day" thing is some bs to to get people buying more food...but I digress.

Comment

Come to think of it, I havent had cereal in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                    X