Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighter of the Year Nominations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connor mcgregor no explanation needed. Arguments welcome we all know he is p4p number 1

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
      Crawford and Sircricket or whatever he is calling himself now have way stronger cases than Joshua
      Think his name is *sirbeefbrisket.

Comment

Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
        Lomachenko if he beats Rigondeaux.

This is a breakdown I did:

Had Mikey Garcia fought one more time this year against a solid opponent he would have been the strongest condidate, but since he will only end up with 2 fights that opens up the discussion.

A lot of people are going to choose Srisaket Sor Rungvisai (aka Wisaksil Wangek), but lets analyze it.
        Last year when Ward won a controversial decision, against Kovalev, people dismissed him as a possible fighter of the year because of the controversial decision.
        Sor Rungvisai first fight was a controversial decision against Chocolatito. Even if you think Sor Rungvisai won the first fight that still doesn't take away from the fact that the majority of people felt that Chocolatito won the first fight.
        We have to keep it fair. We can't say one guy doesn't deserve it after a controversial win and the other guy does.
        Remember there is a difference from a close competitive fight and a controversial fight.

Before anybody says that Chocolatito was the consensus P4P that is not true. A lot of people were ranking Ward, GGG, and Crawford ahead of him.
        So he was not the consensus P4P as it was very much still debated.

If Lomachenko beats Rigo he would have a strong case for FOTY. He would end up with 3 fights (Two against World Champions, against Top 10 ranked opposition at the time, and against a top 5 P4P in many people's opinion).
        I know people are going to say Rigo is small, but this is the fight many of you wanted you can't back out now.
        That also didn't stop people from giving Crawford the 2014 FOTY when he beat a smaller Gamboa.

Loma has to beat Rigo first obviously, but if he does then he may have the strongest case. Whether people like it or not.
        Sor rematched Gonzalez and stopped him without any controversy, did you miss that?

I agree with some of your Loma assessment but I also believe it requires Loma to win in convincing manner against a much smaller opponent. If its a close win then he may still have an argument but it would not be clear cut, imo.

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Terence Crawford. He unified ALL the four major belts in his division.

Something Joshua has yet to do.
        Joshua had the greatest heavyweight fight in years, against a genuine great and puncher, got up and won by stoppage. I always believe something special in the hw division is made more special because of that division.

TC has a great case but he never even came close to beating any great fighter.

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
        If one of lomachenko or rigondeax wins clearly then they've got a good shot. I don't really see any stand outs tbh, maybe mikey Garcia but is broner really a top win any more? can make a case for golovkin cause in mine and most peoples eyes he beat two world class fighters which is more than anyone else has done that i can remember this year. know that thai guy had a good win but i don't really consider that as real mens prizefighting tbh, are the size of children and no one watches them.
        thats a poor way of looking at a sport you claim to be a fan of tbh

Comment

Crawford - 4 nominations

Rungvisai - 2 nominations

Joshua - 1 nomination

Also guys, it's important to read this, form this point on, I will only be accepting nominations if they are through the correct system: listing from 1 to 3 in order of best to worst.

BrometheusBob. do you know the mod you can sticky this?

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            Sor rematched Gonzalez and stopped him without any controversy, did you miss that?

I agree with some of your Loma assessment but I also believe it requires Loma to win in convincing manner against a much smaller opponent. If its a close win then he may still have an argument but it would not be clear cut, imo.

Joshua had the greatest heavyweight fight in years, against a genuine great and puncher, got up and won by stoppage. I always believe something special in the hw division is made more special because of that division.

thats a poor way of looking at a sport you claim to be a fan of tbh
            fair enough man, thats just how i see it i dont really follow them guys and not a lot of others do either cause of their size or lack of it rather. I could never say an 8 stone fighter is boxings 'fighter of the year' but thats just my opinion.

Comment

I'd go with Golovkin

He beat the 2 best fighters in his division ( even if he got a BS draw against Canelo )

Crawford beat Molina , Diaz & Indongo . Honestly none of those names are A class even if he got some trinkets along the way

Joshua - No beating a aging on the way out Klit In a Exciting fight doesn't get you FOTY

Comment

Crawford - 4 nominations

Rungvisai - 2 nominations

Joshua - 1 nomination

Golovkin - 1 nomination

Comment

floyd mayweather....my entire family nominates him so put him down for 5 nominations

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

It's Fighter of the Year, so we have to analyze the year as a whole.
                    At the end of the day, Sor lost the first fight in many people's eye. We can't forget that. I'm not even a Gonzalez fan, as I felt he was a bit overrated, and even I had him winning pretty clearly. I thought the Cuadras fight was closer. We also can't forget how bad Chocolatito was looking before the Sor fight. He didn't look great against Cuadras and Arroyo, he didn't even shine against an older Viloria, so it is a myth that he was the consensus P4P. It was still very much a debate.
                    People are going to be pushing for Sor because they love a good underdog story. I do as well, but we have to evaluate the year as a whole.

Rigondeaux>>>>>>>Chocolatito and it's not even close.

I like Joshua and have no problem him being nominated, but he fought a fighter coming off a 1.5 year lay off. Not to mention that Klitschko lost his previous fight by dominating fashion.
                    Then he fought a guy on two weeks notice.
                    You're going to tell me that is a better year than Loma's? If Loma beats Rigo.

Crawford beat Indongo and Diaz. Solid year but not FOTY worthy; contender probably. Sosa has a better win than Indongo, but Indongo unified; so about the same level of win. Both will have a chance to prove themselves a bit more in the future and we will see who ends up with the better career. Sosa has one more fight scheduled this year. It's a shame Corrales lost to Machado, because I felt Sosa would have taken out both Castellanos and Corrales. (Remember they were setting up a little tournament between those four, but with Castellanos also pulling out that pretty much ends it).
                    Indongo benefited from being in arguably the weakest division in boxing at the time. He unified but against who? That is another thing we have to analyze. People love to bring up when a fighter unifies, which is great, but we also can't forget who they unified against.
                    Indongo is Crawford's best win of the year. Loma could end up with arguably two, at least one for sure, better wins this year.
                    Maybe Indongo is better than I think. He'll have his chance to prove it. 140 has some good young talent coming up.

The only thing people can really say about Diaz is that he won an Olympic Gold medal. He was gifted that Gold medal, however. He definitely lost his Semifinal bout and arguably lost an earlier fight to an Irish fighter. Even if his Gold medal was legit, he doesn't compare to what Rigo did as an amateur. That is all what we can say about Diaz because he hasn't done much as a pro.

Comment

Loma if he wins in impressive fashion if not golovkin cause of his monster resume this year

Comment

Working...
                      X