No announcement yet.

True Road Work Vs Jogging/Running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Road Work Vs Jogging/Running

As the title states, when I check out old training methods/videos. I never notice them going on "jogs." and never really having a routine on how to get in fighting shape by taking their morning "run." Instead they use road work to get into fighting shape by using the open space and mimicking how they fight in the ring while moving. Not your traditional Jog. Back peddle, side to side, etc etc. I hear that actual forward movement should be the least amount of time when it comes to road work. The majority of the movement is side to side, and back peddling...

I take that back, it's more like 1/3 for forward movement, 1/3 for back peddling, 1/3, side to side movement .15/.15... 3/3 for all movements. While shadow boxing during the roadwork, and depending on how you fight is how you should treat your roadwork... the majority of the time. More ways you can mimic the ring and the way you move the better you will be at performing the way you want in the ring.

I go on early runs and I don't seem to be getting in "true" fighting shape. the casual 7/8 minute miles with a sprint after every completed mile for 3-5 miles isn't really getting me there... But when I do what I described above I can really feel a difference when I spar.

jogging is just in my opinion overrated. It's good, just implemented in the wrong way towards being in Fighting Shape.

Too many people Blindsided by just going for the 3-5mile straight ahead jog everyday. I mean it's good but in my opinion not optimal for this sport.

one thing I noticed that's helped me.

Using Roadwork the correct Way, Jump Rope, Sparring, Heavy Bag, shadowboxing.

In my opinion that right there is the most optimal in getting in true fighting shape, with the obvious Sparring being the king of it all.

EDIT:::

One more thing, I feel people are too focused on numbers of how far they go each day. I still recommend 2-3 miles of work a day until your body can handle a higher number. but just jogging 6-7 miles a day I feel helps but doesn't really enhance your fighting capability to its max potential... Basically getting more out of your run with actual fighting movements.
    Last edited by Ren28; 04-27-2018, 03:38 AM.

I used to do both. I'm now too lazy. Now I go on my treadmill, set a speed an incline, put on my iphone and Im set.

Comment

lool, for sure. I've been jogging since the dawn of time. Got in the ring and all those miles didn't mean ****. I gassed. But ever since I started implementing this style of roadwork rather then focusing on jogging/running. my fight game inside the ring has improved immensely. and I only prefer using what's optimal towards the goal since I'm limited on time to train.

Job, outside responsibilities etc.

Comment

Slow long jog works for me

Comment

When I was boxing competitively I would do most of my running on a 400 meter track in a school field. After a 10-15 min jog to the track for a warm up I would just try to do a sort of “ wind sprint” type of running for 4-5 3 min rounds. What I mean by this is usually I would sprint 100 meters then jog at 60% for 100 meters then sprint 100 and on and on for 3 min. Usually I would take a 30 second break
          Between rounds and just sort of walk in a circle.
          I found this to get me in the best shape for boxing because I was trying to teach my body to explode and then to recover while still moving at a slower pace. Similar to a fight when you attack and then move back and use your jab when you need to recover your wind.

I do believe running is a nesecary part of training for a fight. But everyone is different and i think you should
          Try lots of different things and see what is best for your body.

Comment

i mean you are still "keeping a pace" aka running, just not your normal type of run. but yeah I was just trying to get different perspectives.

Comment

I recommend incorporating pushups, situps and pullups (if possible) into your jog as well. I like to stop every half mile or mile, and do 3-5 sets of pushups to failure, run another mile, do 3-5 sets of pullups to failure, run another mile, do 3-5 sets of situps to failure, then finish it off with a 1 mile cooldown. Sometimes I incoroporate sprints, sometimes shadowboxing, ultimately i do whatever feels good and I make sure to not quit until im soaked in sweat and sore hah. I do everything to failure, for better or worse.

Comment

Jhonny makes me run on the sand... he wears this old man out....

Comment

The longer, steady runs are good for heart health in general.
                  Sprints and 400s or 800s are awesome for getting in tip top shape.

Comment

I alternate between sidestepping as if moving away in the ring, on both sides, then a backwards skip, backwards walk, forwards jog, forward run, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X