Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't boxers known as much as they use to be?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Because it's an expensive sport to be a fan of! How many popular sports cost $65+ every time they host a good event? I can only think of one; combat sports.

I blame the promoters for taking everything they could from the sport. The fact that we're getting more free boxing on TV is a positive but they spent the first couple years "building" so we're only starting to get into the good stuff and who knows if they can sustain long enough to actually raise popularity. If boxing becomes free and easy to find (not scattered across 20 channels), I think we'll get more household names once again.

True and sometimes you might have to ask other people to chip in some money.

Comment

this generation is stupid thats why. People rather watch the kardashians or some other reality show. There is so much distraction these days. back in the days boxing was probably the most exiting thing on TV besides fotball. Now we have cringy teens playing LOL with their goblins and saying " thats Radical dude!".

Comment

Cause other pro sports became 100x bigger

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
          Cause other pro sports became 100x bigger
          Yep and they don't do ppv

Comment

Originally posted by Humble fighter View Post
            this generation is stupid thats why. People rather watch the kardashians or some other reality show. There is so much distraction these days. back in the days boxing was probably the most exiting thing on TV besides fotball. Now we have cringy teens playing LOL with their goblins and saying " thats Radical dude!".
            im not gonna lie if im flippin channel and i see KUWTK i keep it on for a few mins(if i am alone in the house,,,dont want nobody think im a ****)just so i can see sum shots of dat azz,,dat booty is straigh fire

Comment

Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
              im not gonna lie if im flippin channel and i see KUWTK i keep it on for a few mins(if i am alone in the house,,,dont want nobody think im a ****)just so i can see sum shots of dat azz,,dat booty is straigh fire
              booi u gay. stop lusting for plastic butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                Back in the 70's everybody knew who Ali, Foreman, and Frazier were. In the 80's everybody knew who Hearns, Duran, Wilfred, Hangler, and Leonard was. In the 90's everyone knew who Tyson, Roy, and Holyfield were. Why aren't any of these current boxers known more by the general public when they have access to social media and other outlets that fighters of the past didn't have?
                Because they fought in TV..Before that the fights were broadcast on radio..

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                  Back in the 70's everybody knew who Ali, Foreman, and Frazier were. In the 80's everybody knew who Hearns, Duran, Wilfred, Hangler, and Leonard was. In the 90's everyone knew who Tyson, Roy, and Holyfield were. Why aren't any of these current boxers known more by the general public when they have access to social media and other outlets that fighters of the past didn't have?
                  Boxing is so watered down with too many titles and divisions and too many excuses for the best to not fight the best. The standards have dropped to nothing.

Comment

I will add that the torch hasn't been passed.
                    Dela Hoya was the biggest name in boxing and he put Mayweather and Pacquiao on the mainstream scene, but Mayweather retired undefeated and Manny is fighting the likes of Jeff Horn, people don't look at Keith Thurman and say, look the guy that beat Porter and Garcia, because they don't know Porter or Garcia.

Comment

Boxing has too many shady decisions and the best are too afraid to fight the best. Plus, the networks don't value boxing anymore and won't invest in boxing shows like they used to. Boxing needs one governing body who oversees the handling of the boxers as well as the qualifications of the judges. Every successful sport has one single governing body......boxing is not in that category unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                      X