Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Junior Weight Divisions Water Down the Sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Junior Weight Divisions Water Down the Sport?

I was browsing through the UFC website and noticed there are only 8 weight classes. Boxing currently has 17. Boxing used to operate similarly: (Fly/Bantam/Feather/Light/Welter/Middle/LHW/HW)

There are several reasons why junior weight divisions exist. Maybe safety and more sanctioning fees for the organizations. But from a competitive standpoint, do they water down and hurt the sport?

For example, imagine weight divisions that looked like this:

Middleweight:

Golovkin
    Canelo
    Lara
    Cotto
    Charlo X 2
    J Rock
    Jacobs
    Lemieux
    Andrade
    Saunders

Light Heavyweight

Stevenson
    Kovalev
    Ward
    Jack
    DeGale
    Beterbeiv
    Zurdo
    Dirrell X 2
    Groves
    Brahmer

Welterweight

Brook
    Thurman
    Spence
    Crawford
    Porter
    Garcia
    Peterson
    Postol
    Bradley
    Vargas
    Broner

Bantamweight

Chocolatito
    Rigondeaux
    Yanamaka
    Chemito
    Rau'Shee
    McDonnell
    Cuadras
    Inoue
    Estrada
    Tete
    Kameda

By removing the junior divisions, the rankings would be much more solid from one to 10, being a long reigning division champion will be more meaningful, the number of champions would decrease, the sport would be easier to follow for casuals, and most importantly, better fights would be made.

Are you for or against junior weight divisions?
    For Junior Weight Divisions
    3.45%
    Against Junior Weight Divisions
    96.55%
    Don't Care
    0.00%

watching the olympics (which uses 10 weight classes) i only noticed a few cases in which size was clearly a major factor. personally i think 12 divisions spaced between 108 and 225 would be the sweet spot

Comment

Definitely against. The competition today is too watered down. Drives me crazy.

Comment

Naw, these weight divisions didn't just pop up when PBC was introduced. The last major division was what the cruiserweight division about 30 years ago.

Maybe it's the big fights not happening that makes it look water downed.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
          watching the olympics (which uses 10 weight classes) i only noticed a few cases in which size was clearly a major factor. personally i think 12 divisions spaced between 108 and 225 would be the sweet spot
          I think the biggest issue is the gap between 175 and heavyweight. Everything in between should be manageable. In the mini weight classes you got 3/4 division champions that only moved up 10 pounds.

Comment

Fewer divisions seems like a good thing but I promise they are just gonna add more belts and **** it up all over again

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
              Definitely against. The competition today is too watered down. Drives me crazy.
              Cruiserweight is the only division I can really justify existing outside of the normal weightclasses. Everything else needs to go away.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                I was browsing through the UFC website and noticed there are only 8 weight classes. Boxing currently has 17. Boxing used to operate similarly: (Fly/Bantam/Feather/Light/Welter/Middle/LHW/HW)

There are several reasons why junior weight divisions exist. Maybe safety and more sanctioning fees for the organizations. But from a competitive standpoint, do they water down and hurt the sport?

For example, imagine weight divisions that looked like this:

Middleweight:

Golovkin
                Canelo
                Lara
                Cotto
                Charlo X 2
                J Rock
                Jacobs
                Lemieux
                Andrade
                Saunders

Light Heavyweight

Stevenson
                Kovalev
                Ward
                Jack
                DeGale
                Beterbeiv
                Zurdo
                Dirrell X 2
                Groves
                Brahmer

Welterweight

Brook
                Thurman
                Spence
                Crawford
                Porter
                Garcia
                Peterson
                Postol
                Bradley
                Vargas
                Broner

Bantamweight

Chocolatito
                Rigondeaux
                Yanamaka
                Chemito
                Rau'Shee
                McDonnell
                Cuadras
                Inoue
                Estrada
                Tete
                Kameda

By removing the junior divisions, the rankings would be much more solid from one to 10, being a long reigning division champion will be more meaningful, the number of champions would decrease, the sport would be easier to follow for casuals, and most importantly, better fights would be made.

Are you for or against junior weight divisions?
                Weak divisions become stacked very quickly when the "extra" divisions are gone. Sure. Fighters should seek out the best fights if they think they are the best. But fewer weight divisions pushes them toward that whether they want to or not. If a guy can hold a belt in a weak division and make money fighting lesser guys, he often times will. However, take a lot of these divisions out and he has to face solid competition. 105, 108, 115, 122, 130, 140, 154 all need to go IMO. I was actually for 168 staying but seeing your list there, I think I even change my mind on that one. Cruiserweight should probably stay, though.

Comment

Dislike it. Thinks there's way too many division especially at the lower weight class where some of them are just separated by a few pounds. Fewer division=less champs would actually bring some credibility to being a champ again. Too many paper champ these days.

Comment

They obviously water down the sport & I'd be pro losing them.

I'd also be pro losing some lower weight divisions in general. Right now boxing has 17 weight divisions & 8 of the 17 are for guys who weigh 135lbs or less. I don't even talk to any grown men who weight 135 f#cking pounds ffs. I could live with there being 118lbs, 126lbs & 135lbs.

Comment

Working...
                    X