No announcement yet.

1998 De la Hoya vs 2008 Floyd and Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 De la Hoya vs 2008 Floyd and Pacquiao

This would be a much different fight. Oscar was more of a tactician at this point in his game. Much sharper, faster, and more versatile in what he could do in the ring. He was also much lighter on his feet.

I think as it pertains to Floyd Oscar would be much more accurate in how he mounted an offense. He wouldn't resort to a attack the body gameplan like he did in 2007. Floyd has a very underrated chin but I think Oscars work rate would turn the tide of the fight and maybe we would have seen a different Floyd we hadn't really seen before. I think Oscar's size and power would give him the edge in controlling the fight to a UD or late tko.

For Pacquiao it is tricky. I think it would be a closer fight, but I'd tap Oscar to pull out a UD. Unless however he was able to land enough damage to thwart Pacquiao from getting into a groove of his own in and out rapid fire combos. I think with this particular fight Pacquiao would be in a serious risk of getting taken out. Oscar is just a much bigger guy. Sure Pacquiao would hurt Oscar but not to the extent of his plodding self in 2008. Oscar has a granite chin and could very easily wind up in a toss up. So as long that Pacquiao uses his legs and avoids Oscars left at all cost.

Oscar > Pac
    10.34%
    Oscar > Floyd
    44.83%
    Oscar < Pac
    13.79%
    Oscar < Floyd
    31.03%

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
    This would be a much different fight. Oscar was more of a tactician at this point in his game. Much sharper, faster, and more versatile in what he could do in the ring. He was also much lighter on his feet.

I think as it pertains to Floyd Oscar would be much more accurate in how he mounted an offense. He wouldn't resort to a attack the body gameplan like he did in 2007. Floyd has a very underrated chin but I think Oscars work rate would turn the tide of the fight and maybe we would have seen a different Floyd we hadn't really seen before. I think Oscar's size and power would give him the edge in controlling the fight to a UD or late tko.

For Pacquiao it is tricky. I think it would be a closer fight, but I'd tap Oscar to pull out a UD. Unless however he was able to land enough damage to thwart Pacquiao from getting into a groove of his own in and out rapid fire combos. I think with this particular fight Pacquiao would be in a serious risk of getting taken out. Oscar is just a much bigger guy. Sure Pacquiao would hurt Oscar but not to the extent of his plodding self in 2008. Oscar has a granite chin and could very easily wind up in a toss up. So as long that Pacquiao uses his legs and avoids Oscars left at all cost.

Oscar had a great chance against both Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Comment

So in order to win Oscar would basically have to be 25 with a natural size advantage while Floyd and Pacquiao would be 31 and 30 respectively while being naturally smaller. Yeah under those circumstances I believe Oscar would have a great chance at beating both. But again styles make fights and Oscar never really had a great right hand counter punch which has always been Manny's kryptonite. Oscar in his younger days was more of a boxer as well so I think his style would have suited Floyd moreso. I'd still favor Floyd and Manny to beat him but it wouldn't be easy for either guy.

Comment

@ 147 he loses a wide decision to both, felt like Floyd was too heavy when they fought, too flat footed and his footwork wasn't the same that night, Floyd moved up too fast from 140 to 154 and 154 was too much for him at the time and it showed during the fight, yet still he won clearly, @ 147 it would be a totally different fight.

Dela Hoya at that time was a one handed fighter, he never had a good lead or counter right hand, which is an essential weapon against a southpaw, it can be competitive but Pacquiao's southpaw style, awkwardness and speed would give him a lot of problems, I don't see a stoppage cuz Dela Hoya won't be drained.

Comment

he couldn't even beat a past prime Sweet Pea then. Floyd and Pacquiao both by UD.

Comment

i think younger oscar can beat floyd.

pac has the southpaw thing going for him. oscar could ko him but pac style would give him problems.

Comment

I'd pick Oscar over both most likely. Oscar almost robbed Floyd of a decision so he can easily do that in his prime. Manny has a chance to KO Oscar but if it went to decision, Oscar wins. Oscar has solid chance of KOing Manny too.

Comment

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
                I'd pick Oscar over both most likely. Oscar almost robbed Floyd of a decision so he can easily do that in his prime. Manny has a chance to KO Oscar but if it went to decision, Oscar wins. Oscar has solid chance of KOing Manny too.
                pac can't ko oscar.

he tko'd old oscar because oscar couldn't do anything but oscar's chin held up. oscar's chin is good.

Comment

Oscar. Ocsar beats Floyd up.

Oscar has a great jab and footwork and activity level that would get Floyd lumped up

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                    pac can't ko oscar.

he tko'd old oscar because oscar couldn't do anything but oscar's chin held up. oscar's chin is good.
                    No but there's always limits. Not saying Pacquiao will auto (T)KO him but he has the tools to do so. Corner could throw in towel, Pacquiao can Margarito him, or Oscar simply gets overwhlemed, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X