Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we ever see a Heavyweight Champion under 6' again?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would need to be a very disciplined fighter with a very good coach. The fighters who have fought Wlad just get discouraged and can't think their way past the jab and obviously didn't have enough prep to fight a giant.

If there was a Heavyweight that threw nonstop on the inside like Brandon Rios, but more polished defensively, it could be a bit interesting to see that nowadays.

Comment

Not likely. Sparring someone even a few inches taller is difficult.

I think its a testament to how good Tyson actually was. He mitigated his lack of hight with unbelievable head movement, speed and technique to get on the inside of his taller opponents jab.

Comment

Taller athletes seem to have happened in all sports period...not just boxing. i don't know where they came from or why but in the last 20 years...more so the last 10 they are obviously more of a factor. Maybe it's the water or global warming. In any event I doubt the shorter heavyweights can compete and that there will ever be one shorter than 6'-5". He used to extend his long leg way out there to keep his opponents out of reach and just wear them down with low loose hands. It was easy for him basically because of his height.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
          Height and reach can be negated very easily with feet and/or head movement. If you watch the opening round of Tyson vs Lewis, you'd notice that Mike was actually able to trade jabs with Lewis even though he had a 13 inch reach disadvantage by using a bit of feet and upper body. Problem is not many people know how to do this nowadays.
          WHY do you always have to make a nutbag post? Your obviously not dumb so why act it?

We all know this is boxing and the physical parameters are not the main deal, it's in the skills mostly obviously!

The taller fighter has to try keep the opponent at range and the shorter opponents has to try get within that range to his own (and either stay there or get in and out).

There are guys that excel at both. Wladimir Klitschko is the best ever at doing the first imo, and Mike Tyson the best ever at doing the latter. But my main point is, is that..

The taller guys job, all things equal, is much easier! It does not require the same maniacal reflexes and conditioning to keep up with and you can have a much longer career.

Being tall without skills is not that much of a benefit but any boxer who is tall and knows how and is effective at utilising that range has an enormous benefit.

Comment

it's possible. of course, whoever said boxer is, he's probably going to have to be mike tyson on steroids. a super athlete with super ability. since most of these super heavys are pretty much more athetic, better boxing, primo carneras. it's an arms race with nature.

basically, a bo jackson with mayweather's schooling.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
              WHY do you always have to make a nutbag post? Your obviously not dumb so why act it?

We all know this is boxing and the physical parameters are not the main deal, it's in the skills mostly obviously!

The taller fighter has to try keep the opponent at range and the shorter opponents has to try get within that range to his own (and either stay there or get in and out).

There are guys that excel at both. Wladimir Klitschko is the best ever at doing the first imo, and Mike Tyson the best ever at doing the latter. But my main point is, is that..

The taller guys job, all things equal, is much easier! It does not require the same maniacal reflexes and conditioning to keep up with and you can have a much longer career.

Being tall without skills is not that much of a benefit but any boxer who is tall and knows how and is effective at utilising that range has an enormous benefit.
              Only post I've ever seen of yours that isn't complete and utter nonsense. Go get yourself a cookie or something.

So do you admit that great inside fighter would give Wlad trouble, and that none of wlads opponents are proficient in this style?

Comment

It all depends on the individual. Personally, I think either Tyson, Frazier, or maybe even Marciano could have beaten Wladimir Klitschko......and that's not a slap at the champ, styles make fights and those three were very special individuals.

If a man believes in himself enough, trains hard enough, and is dedicated to his goal enough, anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post

What is your point of contention with my post? Don't go on and ramble incoherently about a load of crap - be very specific so we can both save ourselves some time. Tell me what you wish to debate with me about and I will happy engage you.

Comment

when i used to box i used to fair much better with guys taller than me, as my style was based around head movement and power punching/body work, the taller the better for me, but then again i wasnt a heavy weight.. i definetly think there could be, mike tyson faught some really tall opponents, all it takes is the right talent to come through

Comment

if prime tyson was around he would be heavyweight champ right now. So yeah it's possible. Thing is tyson wasn't just a once in a generation type beast he was a once in a ... well who knows when kinda beast.

Comment

Working...
                      X