No announcement yet.

Love him, hate him but Mayweather Has been Good for Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love him, hate him but Mayweather Has been Good for Boxing

First off, I am not a Mayweather fan. I am a boxing fan but the most recent dumping on Floyd is out of line; OK, we boxing fans may have dumped on him at one time or another but fine, that’s what we do. He gets paid for attention and at one time or another we all have different favorites in different bouts.

Now that this mega-event with McGregor is going to takes place there is dumping by MMA fans and casual MMA/Boxing fans alike. Maybe that’s deserving of him for taking part in this event to begin with, but come on for $100 Million, like it or not but accept it, boxing at the highest level is all about one thing. Same is true for McGregor as to why, the money, more than he would ever make or deserve otherwise but for his self-promotion and for that he gets an A+.

Why do boxing fans want to see him tore down but to build up McGregor? He’s the greatest boxer of his generation, as was the “GOAT, Sugar Ray Robinson”, one and probably only one of the few things that 50%+ boxing fans can agree on is that Ray is the GOAT. So I use Ray as a comparison to Floyd not they are comparable but they can be compared.

Of course, Floyd doesn’t have as many fights 49 vs 198 but comparable or higher than competition for his era. Competition, there’s the big word, no he didn’t have Pender, Fullmer, Basillio, Olsen, Maxim, Graziani, Turpin, LaMotta, Gavilan, Bell, Armstrong, et al. but he did have Pacquiao, Maidana, Alvarez, Cotto, Ortiz, Mosley, Marquez, Hatton, DeLaHoya, Baldomir, Judah, Gatti, Castillo and Corrales. Not a bad bunch of names, either way both fought the best of their respective era.

He is also famous/infamous for something else he had in common with the GOAT, they didn’t get hit a lot. Both avoided punishment through skills. Ray was the foundation upon which all the “Sugars”, “The Greatest” and “Money Man” built their styles. Hitting without getting hit, that is what the “Sweet Science” is all about, right? I don’t like his style, it bores me but he wins and like it or not it’s copied because it’s effective and just like Sugar Ray Robinson kids can copy but no one can compare to the original. In 10, 20 years from now he will be a legendary.

Also, like it or not, Mayweather has been the driving influence in boxing during the recent decade(s) of drought. He and he alone has been the one to drive interest in boxing when no one else could, of course Pacquaio and now Alvarez but their influence is only relative to Mayweather. In a drought you may not like the rainmaker but you need the rain.

I don’t expect boxing purest of which I am one or racist of which I am not, to love him but serious boxing fans need to give him his credit. It’s a lose/lose for Mayweather vs McGregor. He wins, it’s he should have won he fought against an MMA champion but boxing amateur. I can hear it already,” if it had been in the MMA cage” then……

On this one, we true boxing fans should stick together and not let the boxing casuals and MMA fans denigrate one of our own. Like him, love him or hate him but please support the sport and support him against folks that want to degrade him for being a boxer in the sport of Boxing.

Yes, it’s about the money and Mayweather could care less about how we feel and yes, it’s not an event that’s worthy of breaking Marciano’s record but he is still one of our own; like it or not.

When Floyd finally retires for good and people get time to let his legacy sink in they'll be more likely to appreciate what he's done.

That said he's still done a lot of things worth criticism and people will definitely continue to hate him as long he keeps running his mouth and promoting his persona.

He's not as good as the *****s think but he's not nearly as bad as his haters think either.

Comment

He broke a glass ceiling by being the first defensive wizard PPV King.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
        He broke a glass ceiling by being the first defensive wizard PPV King.
        The Monkey's Paw part of that is he was only able to do it by making everyone hate him so much that they'll pay just hoping to see him lose

Comment

maywhether is very good fighter he does not have samuel peter spirit but he embody true africa.

Comment

If Boxing fans don't support him against Conor then they are traitors and don't deserve to be the premier combat sport anymore.

Comment

He really hasn't. But if he wins this fight he will be. If he loses, he will be the biggest sht streak the sport has ever seen.

Most of the latter part of this guys career has been spent killing the sport. When he finally retires and we finally have the game putting itself back together by making the fights we want to see and not marinated for 5 years, enter again Floyd Joy Sinclair, and loses to an MMA hypejob, dropkicking the sport back into embarrassment and possibly a never ending coma.

Seriously, if he loses to Mcgregor.....but if he dominates, yea, it boosts the sport, but it will be really the only boost he's done. Pacquiao was the FOTD because he carried the btch on his shoulders.

Comment

The problem for me is that so many young fighters now look at him and think the way to all that success and money is stay undefeated and take minimal risks, so they try to manage their own career in that way. The thing is though, Floyd never took an easy route early on. He wasn't really that selective until late on in his career, but that's also the Floyd that made a lot of money and that's what young fighters now see.

I don't blame Floyd for that though, he did what was best for his career as he should and fair play to him but i think it has influenced a new generation of boxers in a way that is detrimental to the sport, but it wasn't purposely done for that reason of influencing people, he was just looking out for his own career.

So yeah, i don't think his influence has been good for the sport, but i don't blame him for anything either. If people want to point the finger at Floyd for "damaging the sport", then people must also direct the blame in other directions too. The fans and boxing business allowed him to do it. Nobody was forced to buy his fights.

It's up to the new era to change things and up to the fans to force the industry to make the best fights if they want fans to buy it. Promoters and TV networks would be forced to make good fights if the fans stop paying for bull**** fights.
                Last edited by TheBigLug; 08-07-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Great post, good analysis. As far as this fight goes, I really have no opinion on it. One thing is for sure, though, it will bring a lot of attention to boxing. And, of course, I'll support Floyd on fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
                    The problem for me is that so many young fighters now look at him and think the way to all that success and money is stay undefeated and take minimal risks, so they try to manage their own career in that way. The thing is though, Floyd never took an easy route early on. He wasn't really that selective until late on in his career, but that's also the Floyd that made a lot of money and that's what young fighters now see.

I don't blame Floyd for that though, he did what was best for his career as he should and fair play to him but i think it has influenced a new generation of boxers in a way that is detrimental to the sport, but it wasn't purposely done for that reason of influencing people, he was just looking out for his own career.

So yeah, i don't think his influence has been good for the sport, but i don't blame him for anything either. If people want to point the finger at Floyd for "damaging the sport", then people must also direct the blame in other directions too. The fans and boxing business allowed him to do it. Nobody was forced to buy his fights.

It's up to the new era to change things and up to the fans to force the industry to make the best fights if they want fans to buy it. Promoters and TV networks would be forced to make good fights if the fans stop paying for bull**** fights.
                    I agree with everything you said, I see young guys all the time and all they think is, Mayweather=Money. Well it worked for him but 1:1,000,000+ don't have his genetics or work ethic so it has hurt in that these kids could be good boxers but for their emulation of Floyd.

Comment

Working...
                    X