Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Mares would be more competitive than Rigo vs Donaire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people think Mares would be more competitive than Rigo vs Donaire?

First off, I have only seen 3 or 4 Mares fights, but can somebody please tell me what it is that convinces them he'd be more competitive than Rigo in a fight against Donaire?

From what I can see he doesn't have it in him to hurt Nonito and his desire to keep coming forward could prove to be his undoing. I don't think he's quite ready to mix at that level and I think he gets stopped within 8 rounds.

Rigondeaux is, in my opinion, a superior athlete and the only person at 122 that has the necessary physical capabilities to mix it with someone of Donaire's calibre. I know many people will argue that he hasn't been overly impressive as a pro, but you can't overlook the fact that he's the most decorated amateur fighter of all time and has a boxing IQ that most people would kill for. I still think Donaire probably beats him but I'd love to see both men with such a big challenge in front of them and I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

So why all the hype behind Mares? I like watching him fight but I just don't see him as much of a threat to Donaire. Maybe someone can help me understand why people would think otherwise.

Mares deserves that respect. If he can take Donaire's punches, he might win.

Comment

ive actually never watched mares fights... what are some of the most entertaining ones that i can look up

Comment

Originally posted by WarMaidana View Post
        ive actually never watched mares fights... what are some of the most entertaining ones that i can look up
        Moreno, Agbeko II, and Vic.

Watch the Moreno fight knowing he was an underdog that was supposed to get schooled

Comment

Abner Mares as a professional is far more accomplished than Rigo, that's why. But like both Rigo & Donaire he's a winner. He hasn't lost yet, nor does he know how. he has every right to be in the discussion about who the best is at 122.

Comment

Mares Unlike Rigo has Fought and beaten Legitimate Opposition

Comment

Mares is more proven and has taken on tougher fights. That alone should get him a shot at Donaire before Rigo

Comment

Mares is getting Destroyed

Rigo is getting trashed

Comment

Been saying Mares would get devoured by Donaire ever since Agbeko got slighted in their first fight.

Comment

Mares is a better fighter than he gets credit for. I say he edges Donaire in a war!

Comment

Working...
                    X