No announcement yet.

the cruiser weight division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Cruiserweights get horribly promoted... I don't know why it's such a dud division... There has been great fights there over the years and over the past decade is arguably the most exciting fights of any division... O'neil bell, McCormick, Cunningham, adamek, lebedev, huck, haye, braithwaite, etc.... The division has had a lot of great matchups, but gets no love...

Ironically in mma, the 205 is the glamour division on par with boxing's welter division... I don't see how mma can have a great 205 division and boxing can't..

Cruiser seems to be the red headed stepchild of boxing
    I was thinking the same thing, I don't understand how it gets no love. People complain about seeing overweight guys fight In the heavyweight division yet they have in shape big guys who are reasonably athletic and carry very good power in the cruiser division. There have been a lot of classics in this division. Qawi Holyfield and toney jirov etc and recently (ish) haye had a couple of
    Great fights- Thompson and mcormeck. Also macarenlli vs this Argentinian (think his second name
    Was Dominguez, short guy, with a cross armed joe Frazier type style), absolute classics

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed_Ismail View Post
      Maybe Tabiti hasn't proven himself yet but i believe he has what it takes, speed power generalship and size.

Just because the guy in ur sig still didn't win a world title, doesn't make it a tough division, if Marco Huck is the champ this means it's not so tough to become one.

He has the IBO if you want count that and its an extremely tough division, loaded in fact.
      Huck is just a solid fighter milking his title run that should have several more losses and no title. Its a poor argument for trying to say the division isn't deep.

I keep hearing this guys name and to me he looks like a very poor Adrien Broner clone. Just another clown who people are starting to hype because he is a TMT fighter, like the rest he'll be found out as being another all flash and no substance TMT brand fighter. Its like if you use the shoulder roll you are automatically qualified as an elite talent on NSB. Crazy.

Mark my words, he isn't making no noise in the cruiserweight division.
      Makabu, Chakhkiev, Diablo, Usyk, Drozd, Hernandez, Mchunu, Kalenga, Lebedev, Kudryashov he isn't beating a single one of them anytime soon. They ALL knock him out with no hassle as do a fair few others.

Comment

damn, good point OP.

talking about classics, Adamek vs Cunningham

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        He has the IBO if you want count that and its an extremely tough division, loaded in fact.
        Huck is just a solid fighter milking his title run that should have several more losses and no title. Its a poor argument for trying to say the division isn't deep.

I keep hearing this guys name and to me he looks like a very poor Adrien Broner clone. Just another clown who people are starting to hype because he is a TMT fighter, like the rest he'll be found out as being another all flash and no substance TMT brand fighter. Its like if you use the shoulder roll you are automatically qualified as an elite talent on NSB. Crazy.

Mark my words, he isn't making no noise in the cruiserweight division.
        Makabu, Chakhkiev, Diablo, Usyk, Drozd, Hernandez, Mchunu, Kalenga, Lebedev, Kudryashov he isn't beating a single one of them anytime soon. They ALL knock him out with no hassle as do a fair few others.
        Who's your top 3 of those you mentioned?

Comment

Maybe if someone dominated and became undisputed champion, we'd see more of those fights. As it is now, we mostly only see them if it's some big star past his prime who can't make weight in the lower classes, like Toney, Jones, etc. or some dude getting a lot of knockouts. Although, Premier Boxing Champions I believe showed one recently and if they haven't they probably will.

Comment

The cruiserweight division has been stacked for years. There are literally FOTYs happening every couple of months there and no one pays any attention. It's insane. Here's a division with some of the biggest men on the planet, ripped to shreds, smashing the crap out of each other for our entertainment yet people would rather moan about the dreadful heavyweights and how no one fights each other these days or can't be bothered to get into shape. It's like a whole other sport, taking place in a parallel reality, for all the love it gets.

Hopefully the CW tournament will get more people interested in this division. There are already some guaranteed classics lined up for the first round, like Kudryashov vs Dorticos, which is going to be fireworks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenkai View Post
              damn, good point OP.

talking about classics, Adamek vs Cunningham
              Incredible fight. A modern day classic.

Originally posted by Zenkai View Post
              Who's your top 3 of those you mentioned?
              Right now we've got a bit of clarity in the division. My own ranking would be:

Usyk
              Briedis
              Gassiev

All three have wins over solid champions and former champions in Glowacki, Huck and Lebedev. But anything can turn on a dime with so many big punchers vying for the title.

Comment

Originally posted by WTF Huck! View Post
                The cruiserweight division has been stacked for years. There are literally FOTYs happening every couple of months there and no one pays any attention. It's insane. Here's a division with some of the biggest men on the planet, ripped to shreds, smashing the crap out of each other for our entertainment yet people would rather moan about the dreadful heavyweights and how no one fights each other these days or can't be bothered to get into shape. It's like a whole other sport, taking place in a parallel reality, for all the love it gets.

Hopefully the CW tournament will get more people interested in this division. There are already some guaranteed classics lined up for the first round, like Kudryashov vs Dorticos, which is going to be fireworks.
                I agree with most of what you're sayin but the problem with cruiserweights is the same problem the division has always had. If there is a great fighter there, I mean someone truly special, he instantly becomes a heavyweight.

Comment

Working...
                X