Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You People Mad In Britain Electing Corbyn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer Piers Corbyn. That's the Brother with a set of Plums.

Comment

Kensington voted in labour.

lol.

I am sorry but that should be an instant labour majority. Like a one-punch KO.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
        He's like Bernie Sanders, but worse, because in Europe you guys are actually open to communism a lot more than America. This guy is horrible, please explain yourself.
        There's a section of British society that will just never vote Conservative no matter what. It's bred into them, particularly in the North of England. It's like die-hard Dems who will never vote Republican. That's why you'll talk to some people on here (usually lesser educated) who think Conservative (or Tory) = Evil, it's just how they're brought up.

However, many of these people are also pro-Brexit so this time, the Conservatives targeted their votes believing they could win them over from Labour & UKIP parties while retaining their own traditional supporters giving them a powerful mandate.

What happened is that they didn't win them over, and lost some of their own traditional supporters who were anti-Brexit, losing their already slim majority.

However, they're still the largest party and may be able to regain a working majority with the support of the DUP party. What matters now is that there isn't another general election as Labour could well win that one. I don't think there will be, but the idea of cunt Corbyn in power doesn't bear thinking about.
        Last edited by Weebler I; 06-10-2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kosta View Post
          I'll explain the uk parliament to you.

It's not a presidential system.

The prime minister is merely leader of whatever government is mashed together from the 646 geographical "seats" in the government. Each area votes local representatives in from the main parties. Corbyn is just leader of labour.

Generally the system delivers at least one party with the 324 seats required to have a majority and therefore, with the help of obedient mps, get through all the legislation they want

In 2015 and now the system didn't deliver any majority. So everyone is confused as hell. In 2015 conservatives and liberals teamed up in coalition. This time it's not as simple, every party is basically anti Brexit except conservatives. No one wanted to get into bed with them even tho at 318 seats they r the largest. So they hVe done some really amateur and unofficial with a small northern Irish party called DUP who have 10 seats where the DUP agree to get all conservative legislation over the line - most likely in return for some mental levels of northern Irish investment. They will probably pave the roads of Belfast in gold

So corbyn hasn't actually won, but if the tories hadn't managed to talk over the DUP, well the SNP and labour in that case could have formed a government if the liberals had supported them and then corbyn would be the prime minister as leader of the "government"

This is why Theresa May was in such a rush. At 12.20pm yesterday Nicola sturgeon who runs the SNP offered to form such a hodge podge government with labour but by 12.25pm Theresa May was already meeting with the queen. In these cases, which are rare but happened in 2015 too, when you think u can make a "coalition" you have to go to the queen and prove to her your government won't be total chaos. If she gives her blessing, that coalition goes into government. The incumbent pm always gets first shot and if may had had 4 less seats, then the DUP wouldn't be sufficient and corbyn wud most likely be pm

This is why the media is treating. Corbyn like the winner. This majority of the may government is so small, it will be chaos, the eu will have us on the ropes in Brexit talks and there will be another election to sort the House of Commons out. Now bare in mind May was expected in polls to have a 90 seat majority so you can see why corbyn has all the momentum now. Suddenly no one believes in May or her party anymore and when the said second election takes place which it likely will chances are labour/SNP/liberals will rack up enough seats to make corbyn the coalition pm
          A few things Kosta.

I believe it's 326 to form a Government, not 324.

Characterising Labour as anti-Brexit isn't really accurate, certainly not where Corbyn's concerned. His middle of the road indeterminate stance, allowed former UKIP pro-Brexit voters a route back to voting Labour.

Lib Dems had 8 seats in 2015, the DUP have 10 in 2017 so why is it amateur? The two parties are natural bedfellows, and the DUP are highly unlikely to demand "mental levels of investment".

Also, Labour, SNP & Liberals did not have enough seats to form a coalition Government because the Conservatives whacked the SNP in Scotland. Do the math: 262+35+12 = 309

As to the majority, it was already small. The new working majority won't be much smaller.

The media are treating Corbyn like he won primarily because they are anti-Brexit Londoners, they don't like Corbyn, they shat on him all year but if he offers a way to stay in the EU they'll take it, much like the former Conservative supporters who voted for Labour.

None of its wrong but you are wrong.

Generally that happens so no one ever thinks about the constitutional bits. 90% of the time the system returns a majority so you have a working government. If that doesn't happen, then a coalition has to be formed but they have to prove they can run a stable government and actually get legislation through, otherwise someone else has an opportunity to do a deal of their own, vote down the queens speech when parliament is opened and form their own. Constitutionally, that can happen.

If no coalition were done and parliament was still opened then yes the party with the mist seats but no majority could operate a minority government. However, my prediction for that would be a vote of no confidence within a year and another election. In fact, even though today the DUP/Tory deal was confirmed I still think it will happen due to the fact that the tories now smell blood on May. They can apply to the 1922 committee and if 15% of their MPs sign up to that then she will have to step aside. Following that, there will almost certainly be another election.

The reason it's all about deals is because we don't have a constitution. There is no official process. All of the above happened in the 1970s and in 2015 if you recall the liberal democrats very nearly did a deal with labour to be the government of the country even though the tories had the most seats. Don't you remember that? It very nearly happened and the only reason it didn't is because the liberal democrats decided to go with the largest party for the sake of public opinion - to Gordon Browns dismay - but the point is they could have done it and nearly did - so you're wrong. It's not simple in the uk and this is precisely why some peoples argue we need a codified constitution
          The Conservatives need to be careful about taking out May, because they would leave themselves open to another General Election which they could lose. It's inadvisable.
          Last edited by Weebler I; 06-10-2017, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
            A few things Kosta.

I believe it's 326 to form a Government, not 324.

Characterising Labour as anti-Brexit isn't really accurate, certainly not where Corbyn's concerned. His middle of the road indeterminate stance, allowed former UKIP pro-Brexit voters a route back to voting Labour.

Lib Dems had 8 seats in 2015, the DUP have 10 in 2017 so why is it amateur? The two parties are natural bedfellows, and the DUP are highly unlikely to demand "mental levels of investment".

Also, Labour, SNP & Liberals did not have enough seats to form a coalition Government because the Conservatives whacked the SNP in Scotland. Do the math: 262+35+12 = 309

As to the majority, it was already small. The new working majority won't be much smaller.

The media are treating Corbyn like he won primarily because they are anti-Brexit Londoners, they don't like Corbyn, they shat on him all year but if he offers a way to stay in the EU they'll take it, much like the former Conservative supporters who voted for Labour.

The Conservatives need to be careful about taking out May, because they would leave themselves open to another General Election which they could lose. It's inadvisable.
            It's not really 326 though. Sinn Fein don't take their seats, last election they had 4 so the working majority required was ****650-40/2) = 323 - also the speaker doesn't get involved in voting.

Sinn Fein actually won 7 this time so the working majority is in fact 322.

People seem to forget about SF. Here's a source https://www.ft.com/content/36c83a38-...4-c742b9791d43

You're right about Liberals+SNP+labour being 309 - but what I meant was they could form a minority government potentially. It is possible that these guys could get together, canvas some tory support to make up the 322 required and vote down the Queens speech. Following that, Corbyn would be invited to form a government as leader of the largest party. That will be the said minority government i'm on about. In truth, that government won't be able to get much done and there will be a vote of no confidence and another election within a year. This is pretty much what happened in 1974. We have been there before.

I think the DUP deal is untenable. It's too undermining to the terms of the NI peace process. I think the Queen's speech scenario followed by a 2nd election is the most likely outcome.

Comment

None of its wrong but you are wrong.

Generally that happens so no one ever thinks about the constitutional bits. 90% of the time the system returns a majority so you have a working government. If that doesn't happen, then a coalition has to be formed but they have to prove they can run a stable government and actually get legislation through, otherwise someone else has an opportunity to do a deal of their own, vote down the queens speech when parliament is opened and form their own. Constitutionally, that can happen.

If no coalition were done and parliament was still opened then yes the party with the mist seats but no majority could operate a minority government. However, my prediction for that would be a vote of no confidence within a year and another election. In fact, even though today the DUP/Tory deal was confirmed I still think it will happen due to the fact that the tories now smell blood on May. They can apply to the 1922 committee and if 15% of their MPs sign up to that then she will have to step aside. Following that, there will almost certainly be another election.

The reason it's all about deals is because we don't have a constitution. There is no official process. All of the above happened in the 1970s and in 2015 if you recall the liberal democrats very nearly did a deal with labour to be the government of the country even though the tories had the most seats. Don't you remember that? It very nearly happened and the only reason it didn't is because the liberal democrats decided to go with the largest party for the sake of public opinion - to Gordon Browns dismay - but the point is they could have done it and nearly did - so you're wrong. It's not simple in the uk and this is precisely why some peoples argue we need a codified constitution
              All wrong again. 1922 committee? That got erased last autumn.

Comment

Which part of its not correct
                You were correct about everything except the tory coalition was the election before 2015.

Comment

Corbyn isn't a communist.

Comment

Originally posted by Hype Job View Post
                    Corbyn isn't a communist.
                    Says the communist

Comment

Kensington. It's easy to be a trendy lefty when you've got millions. Corbyn would have bankrupted the country and caused a meltdown. Pretty terrifying prospect.

Comment

Working...
                      X