Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did Aaron Pryor not fight Duran or Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has been discussed many times but by the time Pryor made it big by beating Arguello that first time, Leonard was already retired due to a detached retna. Between 82 and 84, everybody want Leonard to come back because he meant big money.

Another factor rarely brought up is that Pryor was not a big junior welterweight. He was a ranked lightweight when he challenged Cervantes and moved to 140 because a title shot wasn't appearing at lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
      It's like Trinidad vs Mosley. 2 of the best fighters of the 2000's that both fought at welterweight and never fought. But flashback to the 80's I always see Pryor vs Arguello as one of the greatest fights that always gets mentioned. Yet it was in the 80's during the fab 4 Leonard, Duran, Hearns, and Hagler.

I know he was a junior welterweight but it just seems a fight like this could have easily been made. Why didn't they happen?
      Duran showed he was willing to go all the way up 4 divisions to fight ATG Hagler. Why'd Pryor take on Arguello moving up 3 divisions but not Duran who was his size? Well, that's what makes Latinos the best fighters in the world.

Comment

Duran would beat Pryor, I have no doubt about that. Pryor's style wouldn't work against Roberto, who knew how to fight wild brawlers and was himself one. He'd just tie Pryor up and go to the body, something which Arguello didn't do. Pryor was good, but his power has been somewhat overated I think. Duran had heavier hands and could hit harder. Even at 160 his power was good enough to hurt and drop a guy like Iran Barkley! While Pryor got a beating at 147, he WAS past it but still his power was nothing above 140.

I can see Pryor starting strong and doing well for the first 6-7 rounds, but then Duran would take over and beat him up. Duran by UD or TKO14-15.
        Last edited by Pastrano; 04-20-2011, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Duran just skipped the weight and Pryor turned down a fight with Leonard,he would have been beaten badly by both guys imo

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
            Duran just skipped the weight and Pryor turned down a fight with Leonard,he would have been beaten badly by both guys imo
            I agree.........

Comment

Working...
            X