No announcement yet.

The Magical Combinations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Magical Combinations

What combinations have you found to work the best for you in sparring or an actual match? I realize no one combination is effective one hundred percent of the time, but which ones have worked and been greatly effective most of the time you've used them against a majority of opponents?

Bonus questions:
    1. Which combinations have you found to be most effective against a taller opponent?

2. Which combinations have you found to be most effective against a shorter opponent?

Thanks.

Hey gymrat

Nice question. I, like you, hope is that no-one comes back with things like "1-2-3-3-4-1" is my favourite, or "triple left hook-right cross-uppercut-jab blah blah blah". Below is an extract from an article that I put out some time ago (the article was a bit of a rant about what I consider to be the restrictive numbering of combinations proposed by many resources on the Web). I prefer to ensure that a boxer has knowledge of why combinations work rather than robotically repeating them. Hope the short notres help, there is a link to the full article and associated combination suggestions below:
    • An opponent will respond in a particular way to a shot (or threat of a shot.) For example, the threat of a right cross to the body may make an opponent drop their left elbow to block the shot thereby leaving the left side of their jaw open.
    • At what range are you? If you are at long range, then the opening shots of a combination will be different than if you are infighting at short range.
    • The bio-mechanics of a given shot, body movement or footwork element naturally leads you to consider a particular subsequent shot. An example of this is that an inside slip provides great leverage for a mid range left hook. It feels natural for a right cross to follow a jab. Be fully aware of this urge to follow the bio-mechanics, but mix things up by going 'against the grain' as well. Doubling-up on the same shot is a prime example of this as the second shot can carry more power than the first.
    • Don't restrict yourself to thinking of combinations in terms of just shots. The chances of creating successful combinations will be greatly increased by aiming to 'join up' shots with body movements, footwork and feints...be dynamic!
    • Learn correctly each of the individual skill elements and ensure that the mechanics are correct and that the common faults are not creeping in. Use a mirror so that you can be your own coach! If you perform each skill element correctly and it stands to reason that the combination will be correct and most likely to be successful!

Boxing combinations - Beware Bad Advice

Short guys - uppercuts could play a big role
    Tall guys - lots of feints in order to draw the lead and cancel out the reach advantage.

Hope this adds something to the discussion mate!

Comment

besides the usual combination everyone will probably bring up, ive found a 1-2-1 to be simple, but effective, especially when your opponent tries to immediately counter after you throw the 1-2...

also, my old russian trainer taught me how to throw a 1-2-3 but sometimes with the hook(3) coming after a very slight delay.

Comment

left hook to the body.

Comment

1-1-1-pause-1 (all while circling left)--I rocked a 240lb guy with this in sparring drills lol...and he knew all I was allowed to do was jab. Works on people who like to cover up. They'll peek out or counter when you pause, and that's when you nail them with a HARD jab.

Right hook (body)-4-- (when they're on the ropes) Gotta hit them hard to the body/arm, then throw the uppercut fast. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth it when it does.

1-1-2-2-- You'd be surprised how many times you can land a double straight right...

3-3b-- Works especially well for guys that cover up and walk forward.

1-slip-3b--First time I ever dropped someone. Good for guys who try to throw a right over your jab.

1-2-left uppercut (body)--Glen Johnson does this all the time, and it can really hurt a guy.

3b-overhand right--Last time I sparred I hurt a guy with this. They may try to counter your hook with a jab or hook, and your right goes right over top of it.

Comment

jab straight right to the body left hook to the head is one that I find I can hit a lot of the time.

Comment

It depends heavily on who you are fighting, and what fighter you are against etc, but for me I find jab-cross-jab is very simple and effective on a wide range of fighters.

Comment

Excellent stuff, guys. Really good stuff. I'm going to try a lot of it out soon. Anyone else want to share theirs?

Comment

I like to throw the Roy Jones triple left hook, followed of course by that ninja teleport/straight right he did against Richard Hall...sorry, you asked for it.

Comment

i remember seeing joel julio throw two jabs, then a left hook to the body, left hook to the head followed by a right cross...1-1-3(b)-3-2

3(b)-4 ....left hook to body, right hook to head

3-6...left hook, right uppercut

1(b)-2-5...jab to body, right cross, left uppercut

2-3-4(b)...right cross, left hook, right hook to body

1-6-1-4...jab, right uppercut, jab- right hook

Comment

Working...
                    X