Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catch Weight Fights- Does It Matter if you're forced to lose one or two pounds?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When a fighter has been making a certain weight for years, 1 or 2 pounds can effect you physically and mentally.

If you're not careful all the pre-hype before the fight can center around making weight.

So when you do make weight you just have nothing left mentally.

It also depends on the fighter.

Comment

it didn't do nothin, trust me, cotto would most of the time come in 146 also, he had no problems with making weight

Comment

Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
        Specifically speaking about the Manny-Cotto bout. People say that Cotto losing only two pounds is nothing major. However a well fit boxer that's in shape and barely any body fat, can suffer weakness since they have to give up muscle since they have no body fat. If this is the case, then it was a smart move to make Cotto come down to 145. What do you guys think?
        a catch weight is a negotiation and not a surprise, so the fighter knows exactly what the terms of the contract are and signs the contract with the full knowledge that a catch weight is in order.

a fighter knows his body, a fighter knows what he is capable of, and a fighter knows what he is not capable of, so if a fighter signs a contract at a catch weight, then that is what the fight is and there should be no discrepancy about weight or outcome do to weight, the fighter had full disclosure prior to stepping on the scale and stepping into the ring.

if a fighter, his team, and fans think the catch weight is what lost them the fight, they're dead wrong, because signing the fight at the catch weight is where they lost the fight because they gave up their ground in the negotiations, a place where almost all fights are won.

in regards of pac vs cotto, pacquiao had a better team for his negotiations, cotto just went along with it and played pacqiuaos game, cotto's bad.

catch weights are all pre disclosed prior to stepping on the scale, it is no surprise, and if a fighter signs the contract at a catch weight, then the fight is at that weight and it's official, meaning they already accepted the terms and know what they're getting themselves into.

in regards to catch weights, take'em or leave'em, the fighters know what they're getting themselves into..............

Comment

seeing what fighters go through to the point where fight week they are literally weighing theirselves to the ounce I would say hitting a certain weight you are not normally accustomed to making will have an effect on your body.

people need to realize that while yes you are aware of the weight saying you will make it and doing it are two totally different aspects. Anyone who knows any fighter personally who has to make a weight will tell you what they have to go through and the hell fight week can be.

Comment

Only if you lose...

Comment

Don't think so.It might affect a boxer, but I don't think it will make a huge difference...
              The only difference that I think that could happen is that Cotto would lasted the last minute of the fight...

But I hate catch weights whats next 140-144-147 welterweight division??

Comment

Originally posted by Gutz View Post
                Only if you lose...
                Cotto didn't make excuses though.

Comment

Catchweights are ok if a fighter's body can adjust to it, most fighters can't adjust to it. M. Stewart was talking about how losing an extra pound can cripple a boxer (I think he was talking about Cotto/Pac but it was obvious the catch weight really hurt ODH.

Comment

I believe it matters, but the whole catchweight idea is garbage anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
                      Cotto didn't make excuses though.
                      EXACTLY...! But some here are?

Comment

Working...
                      X