Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

True or false: Sergey Kovalev could hold his own against any Light heavy in history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smh........

Comment

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to tell. He's the goods though. That I believe.

Comment

Of course he could. Roy Jones had competitive fights with guys like Eric Harding and was ko'd by Antonio tarver. Holding his own doesn't mean he'd win. He's no easy out against anyone and with his skill set and power is a threat to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Courage Award View Post
          Could he destroy any LHW in history? That's a premature debate.

Could he "hold is own" against any lhw in history? Anyone who denies that must really hate him. Hold his own just means put up a competitive fight.

I don't see Tunney or Ezzard simply walking through Kovalev. No way. At worst he would hold his own in a competitive loss, at best he would shatter a lot of nostalgic beliefs.
          Kovalev is big at the weight, fast, skillful, and has pulverising ko power in both fists.

With those attributes, he'd be in with a chance against any LHW in history

Comment

Absolutely, the rest who say no will just have to watch him the next few years bash up everyone in his path

Comment

He's one of my favorite current fighters and is probably a tough out for most fighters. He almost certainly gets jinxed though.

Comment

Bob Foster knocks him out. 1990's Roy Jones makes him look like a fool. Michael Spinks dominates him. 40 yr old, not 50 yr old Bernard Hopkins schools him. A focused James Toney counter punches him to death. Gene Tunney boxes circles around him. Boxing didn't start 5 yrs ago. There's a long history of light heavyweights that would beat his ass.

Comment

No, he would have the floor mopped with him by guys like Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, Roy Jones at Light Heavy, probably bob foster.

He is the power punching flavor of the month honestly. He has some skills, but not nearly as much as he is credited with.

Comment

Originally posted by Courage Award View Post
                    Could he destroy any LHW in history? That's a premature debate.

Could he "hold is own" against any lhw in history? Anyone who denies that must really hate him. Hold his own just means put up a competitive fight.

I don't see Tunney or Ezzard simply walking through Kovalev. No way. At worst he would hold his own in a competitive loss, at best he would shatter a lot of nostalgic beliefs.
                    Ezzard Charles was on SRR levels of talent but at a bigger size... The LHW division has a long history filled with masterful technicians with brutal power, that could take a punch as well. We are talking guys that fought in the 6 ounce horse hair glove era..

Kovalev isn't one of them.

Comment

give me a break ... have you even seen Michael Spinks or RJJ?

Comment

Working...
                      X