No announcement yet.

Hopkins or Toney - who was better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    You posted a video of other people's opinion. Like that means anything.

I've broken down Toney's flaws, referenced these flaws across numerous fights.

Your argument is Roy Jones and Freddie Roach say so.

So I suppose that's it then, if Roy Jones and Freddie Roach think it then it must be true why even have an opinion on anything? Let's just echo their sentiments on everything regarding boxing.

Longer undefeated run Toney turned pro in 1988 he couldn't even make it out of 1992 without getting soundly beaten by Dave ****ing Tiberi.

Oh, and Toney did get hit more than Hopkins did. That's factual to anyone with two functioning eyes.
    No you're just talking b.s. Toney was 44-0 with two draws going into the fight with Roy. How does a split decision win equal getting soundly beaten?? You can't even see past your own biased if you claim a win is getting "soundly beaten" just because YOU said so. What was Hopkins record going into his fight with Jones? He had already taken a clear loss by that point in his career.

And I referenced the opinions of experienced fighters and an experienced trainer yet you still want to argue lol. You didn't even know that B Hop called Toney more talented than himself

Comment

• Originally posted by CatchAndShoot View Post
      Lmao that's why he didn't want to do advanced testing against Pascal, and he shoved him during the presser, because his emotions got triggered.
      Hopkins speed, power, and strength all went down as he got older. If he was juicing then he needs a refund.

Lol just because you push a guy at a presser doesn't mean you are juicing its called building up the hype.

Comment

• Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
        Toney was age 34 at 175 against Kazakh thundering Gold Medalist Jirov..
        And you were impressed with that performance?

Comment

• Originally posted by torosboxing75 View Post
          And you were impressed with that performance?
          sure, clearly Jirov's Gold Medal doesn't mean anything or that he was IBF Cruiser champ for 4 years defending.... or

Compubox Punchstats
          Total Punches Jirov Toney
          Landed 243 380
          Thrown 1032 811
          Pct. 24% 47%

BWAA 2003 Fight Of The Year

yeah it was a dud fight... no credit to Toney whatsoever...

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
            No you're just talking b.s. Toney was 44-0 with two draws going into the fight with Roy. How does a split decision win equal getting soundly beaten?? You can't even see past your own biased if you claim a win is getting "soundly beaten" just because YOU said so. What was Hopkins record going into his fight with Jones? He had already taken a clear loss by that point in his career.

And I referenced the opinions of experienced fighters and an experienced trainer yet you still want to argue lol. You didn't even know that B Hop called Toney more talented than himself
            Because Tiberi clearly beat Toney in one of the biggest robberies of all time that's why. Or are you going to pretend that isn't the case?

You're referencing other men's opinions. That's not even an argument. It's he said she said garbage.

Your argument is literally "Freddie Roach said it" ok? So I'll ask you for the third time; Do you take Freddie Roach's word as gospel on everything then?

Roy Jones said James Toney is the best fighter he's faced. Yeah...right. That sounds like honesty if I ever saw it. We all know fighters are honest about the best they've faced. It always seems to be the fighters they beat easily, strange.

Hopkins said he's more talented and you've equated that to Hopkins saying he's better.

Even if all three were true all they are are other men's opinions anyway. That's not even an argument.

Comment

sure, clearly Jirov's Gold Medal doesn't mean anything or that he was IBF Cruiser champ for 4 years defending.... or

Compubox Punchstats
              Landed 243 380
              Thrown 1032 811
              Pct. 24% 47%

Obviously it wasn't a dud. It was a back and forth war.

What it wasn't was a dominant performance. Far from it.

And Jirov is hardly a great fighter either. He literally beat no one of note in his career.

Comment

Compubox Punchstats
                Landed 243 380
                Thrown 1032 811
                Pct. 24% 47%

I just wanted to understand why you were so impressed. No arguments here. I agree with you 100%. Just another example of Freddy Roach doing a great job training his fighter. Glad you enjoyed it!

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  And Jirov is hardly a great fighter either. He literally beat no one of note in his career.
                  ironically he represents Kazakhstan like Golovkin...

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza
                    Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorCityJaguar

Toney IMHO.
                    James was champion at 160, 168 and 190 (back than the cruiserweight limit was at that weigh) and was a top contender at heavyweight an light heavyweight.
                    Hopkins was champion at 160 and 175.
                    Toney beat the better opponents. No doubt about that.
                    Hopkins had more longevity, but Toney started much younger.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Toney has no performance that's comparable to Hopkins domination of Tito.
                    What about the masterclass in the Barkley fight?
                    And Tito would be an easy fight for Toney

Comment

• Originally posted by MotorCityJaguar View Post
                      What about the masterclass in the Barkley fight?
                      And Tito would be an easy fight for Toney

Probably because he was fighting Iran Barkley I'd imagine.

You say that, but Toney never actually beat anyone on Tito's level easily.

But yeah I get that Toney's beats everyone easily in fantasy land.

Comment

Working...
                      X