Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who ranks higher all-time at lightweight: Shane Mosley or Jose Luis Castillo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who ranks higher all-time at lightweight: Shane Mosley or Jose Luis Castillo

Mosley was obviously the more talented guy, was undefeated at the weight, and would be favored H-2-H over Castillo. However, Mr. I Can't Make Weight's resume at 135 takes an Al Bundy **** all over Mosley's resume at 135. He fought a who's who of lightweight during his time there, fighting the best guys around.

Who ranks higher all-time at 135?
    Shane Mosley
    35.71%
    Jose Luis Castillo
    50.00%
    Even
    3.57%
    Who cares? One cheats on the scales and the other with Balco
    10.71%

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
    Mosley was obviously the more talented guy, was undefeated at the weight, and would be favored H-2-H over Castillo. However, Mr. I Can't Make Weight's resume at 135 takes an Al Bundy **** all over Mosley's resume at 135. He fought a who's who of lightweight during his time there, fighting the best guys around.

I would say castillo resume is a bit more impressive at 135 with wins over Johnston, Bazan, Casamoyer and Lazcano and losses to Corrales, Mayweather. Compared to Shanes less extensive but almost as impressive comp of Holiday, Molina and Leija. But it is how they fared against their respective competition that is what seperates them in my opinion.

In his biggest fights at lightweight Castillo was almost always in a life or death struggle. Fights that were close. Mosely on the other hand pretty much destroyed the comp he fought at lightweight in highlight reel fashion.

Longevity and strength of comp go slightly in Castillo's favor. Who was more dominant is Mosely all the way.

I also have no reason to believe that Mosely would fare any worse against Castillo's comp, and in fact believe he would do better. Based on these thing I think I would rank Shane ahead Of Jose, though I have no idea by how much or where I would place either one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post

JLC faced the better opponents. Who did SSM beat at 135? JLC had 2 competitive fightz against Mayweather. Lost and beat Chico at 135. He beat Casamayor/ Juan Lazcano. JLC was considered the best 135 pounder when Mayweather beat him. I've yet to remember what SSM did at 135. SSM looked DAMN impressive (Don't get me wrong) but those were BUMZ he was facing...reason why he averaged all those K.O's

Comment

Originally posted by El Dominicano View Post
        JLC faced the better opponents. Who did SSM beat at 135? JLC had 2 competitive fightz against Mayweather. Lost and beat Chico at 135. He beat Casamayor/ Juan Lazcano. JLC was considered the best 135 pounder when Mayweather beat him. I've yet to remember what SSM did at 135. SSM looked DAMN impressive (Don't get me wrong) but those were BUMZ he was facing...reason why he averaged all those K.O's
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by C.Y. View Post
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          I know I sound like a hater. There was turth behind it

Comment

Mosley was more talented, but Castillo faced the best and went to war with every single one of them. He may have come out second best a few times, but that's what happens when you face the best fighters in the division.

Head to head, in their primes, i'm sure Mosley would have beaten Castillo at Lightweight, but Castillo will go down as a better Lightweight as time goes.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
              Mosley was more talented, but Castillo faced the best and went to war with every single one of them. He may have come out second best a few times, but that's what happens when you face the best fighters in the division.

Head to head, in their primes, i'm sure Mosley would have beaten Castillo at Lightweight, but Castillo will go down as a better Lightweight as time goes.

You may be right, time will tell. Thing that bothers me about todays fighter though is they don't clean out a division, save for very few, before moving up. Its so hard to accurately rate fighters today when they haven't fought all the best the division has. Just because they beat a guy who beat another guy, doesn't automaticly mean they would beat that second guy, if you're following me here. Many people want to claim certain fighters all time greats at certain weights even though they have no proven longevity in that particular division. This doesn't mean they aren't great fighters, but how can one realisticly say this guy from this era is better than that guy from that era, even though the latter had fought far more time and against better competition in whatever division we may be talking about. Im venting a bit here, but does anybody see what I'm saying?

Comment

Both only had one title, Mosely/IBF, Jose Luis Castillo/WBC, Castillo wins probaly were better Stevie Johnston,Joel Casamayor,Juan Lazcano, but Mosely never lost at the weight, Beat a unbeaten champion UD in Philip Holiday,made eight defences of his title all stoppages, beating Manuel Gomez,Demetrio Ceballos,John John Molina,Wilfredo Ruiz,Eduardo Bartolome Morales,Jesse James Leija,Golden Johnson,John Brown, all decent names. So i think Mosely was more impressive at the weight but Castillo beat better names, and also pushed Mayweather to one of his hardest fights.but was also beaten 3 times at the weight and had 1 draw.

Comment

Mosley will be ranked higher I'm afraid, even though his resume is lacking. I've already seen him rated in some top 5 all time LW lists...

I'm definitely a fan of Mosley but he is nowhere near, atleast based on resume.

Comment

Clearly, Castillo. And we talk skills, but Castillo has some damn good skills too, he was a great inside fighter in his prime. Not just anybody test Mayweather like Castillo did.

Shame that Mosely will be ranked higher at lightweight then Castillo but that doesn't mean he was better. I think Mosley was a better welterweight then he was lightweight. At lightweight to men he alway look larthagic and always seems a cold and hot guy at lightweight. One fight he can look great other fighters he looked like **** and though he punch with so much force at lightweight his power was over rated at lightweight.

Comment

Working...
                    X