Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Paul Willians be no.1 in the Welterweight had he fought like Hearns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Paul Willians be no.1 in the Welterweight had he fought like Hearns?

Standing at 6'2 with an 82 reach, he is as tall as Tommy and has 2 inch longer reach, but he completely disregard the advantages in favor to get in to brawls.

He rarely jabs his opponents to set up a huge right hand behind, and just immediately go on to combinations.

But what would William's career be had he abused his size and reach like Hearns?

No. Hearns was never the #1 WW. He was always behind Leonard. They were close, but SRL was just the better guy.

Paul could've fought like Hearns he'd IMO still be behind Floyd. No knock on Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
      Standing at 6'2 with an 82 reach, he is as tall as Tommy and has 2 inch longer reach, but he completely disregard the advantages in favor to get in to brawls.

He rarely jabs his opponents to set up a huge right hand behind, and just immediately go on to combinations.

But what would William's career be had he abused his size and reach like Hearns?
      He wasn't as good as Hearns though. It wasn't just a question of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        No. Hearns was never the #1 WW. He was always behind Leonard. They were close, but SRL was just the better guy.

Paul could've fought like Hearns he'd IMO still be behind Floyd. No knock on Paul.
        I know that, none could match my top 3 all time fave fighter in matching styles to fight. But with Paul WIlliam's 82 inch and 8 inch height advantage, had he at least had a fraction of hearn's skills on the jab and straight right hand he would have easily swept through competition not named Pacquiao and Mayweather.

Comment

paul williams didn't have anywhere near the power that hearns had for one.I believe paul would have given the other welters a run a for their money had they fought him. he would have given gayweather jr fits with that non stop pressure and high punch output just like castillo and maidana had a lot of success. and paul has one advantage those guys didn't he was much bigger.

Comment

Williams didn't have Hearns two biggest attributes speed and power.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
              I know that, none could match my top 3 all time fave fighter in matching styles to fight. But with Paul WIlliam's 82 inch and 8 inch height advantage, had he at least had a fraction of hearn's skills on the jab and straight right hand he would have easily swept through competition not named Pacquiao and Mayweather.
              Like Rumack said, he was never as good as Hearns. He could fight the same style, but that doesn't mean he'd be as successful.

Comment

I always laughed and cringed at these Hearns comparisons.. They were both tall, black and that is where the comparison ends.

Comment

Williams didn't had that kind of speed or power, let alone accuracy, technique, skill, punch selection and explosiveness.

Comment

lol just because he had Hearns' height it doesn't mean he could fight like him. It's a question of skill, timing, execution, ring IQ, PWill was a good fighter but he was he was, he didn't have the skill to fight like Hearns.

Comment

Working...
                    X