Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Brook's Coach on Spence: They Also Said Lacy Was Next Big Thing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
    i feel bad for lacy becoming the official face of hypejobs, he was definately the worst fighter i ever seen receive that sort of hype so it is not entirely undeserved. but its also not on him, nor is he alone.

this is what happens in boxing, fighters get hyped up all the time and fall short. mike jones and sillakh come to mind, i was on those bandwagons. but also accomplished fighters who did well but fell way short of expectation. taylor, pavlik, judah, matthysse etc.

but for some reason when it comes to lacy, all the hype is all of a sudden relevant. ppl are all "ppl said this, ppl said that". yeah.. thats hype, is it new to you somehow? why all of a sudden are the projections more important than the results?

the man lost to every decent fighter he ever faced! taylor got just as bad a beating against wright as lacy did against calzaghe and he got knocked out cold against pavlik, yet when they fight (and taylor pitches a near shut out) lacy is the one who is ruined. same with roy jones, yes, roy.. jones.

the brittish attitude towards lacy is so strange..

ingle is right in a sense, some fighters get hyped up beyond their capabilities. but that could apply to brook just as easily as spence, his resume isnt much better. more importantly its clear as day to anyone who knows anything about boxing that both brook and spence are much better fighters than lacy.

if you watch lacy and spence and come to the conclusion that they are in any way comparable in terms of ability. lay off the opium..
    Its really a reflection of the British press in a way. The same thing happened when Razor Ruddock came over to fight Lewis, or Mcclennan fought Benn. They trash the home fighter, build up the foreign guy to be a monster and when the home fighter wins the fans are amazed. The losers fans also frame him as a bum because they buy into the hype too. The thing is, often guys don't travel too well, and I really do think the crowd can effect them. Golovkin didn't seem to travel well to Britian either. Didn't look so good in Monte Carlo against Murray. Brooks win over Porter puts him ahead of Spence at the moment, and at least up with Thurman. I've just got a feeling Spence won't look too good in the UK, and may be similar to Lacy in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
      Sure Lacy got press, but there is no comparison to Spence in level of press or fight style. ALSO....Brook is no Calzaghe! Sounds like certain folks are desperate for an example of how the hope their fighter will prevail. Good luck. Spence appears to have the goods.
      You say brook is no calzaghe but it was only after the lacey fight that he started to get any respect fron the US. They were saying he hadn't fought anyone and the hype lacey was getting about being the next atg
      Yet being untested at the highest level was crazy. Sound familiar?

There's no comparison in fight style but there is in the amount of hype. We don't know how spence will react when he gets hit with a few bombs from brook. He's good going forward but how will he be fighting someone that's as quick, skilled and powerful as he is. We know brook can take a punch but can spence?

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
        the brittish attitude towards lacy is so strange..
        For about two years, all the fat Yanks went on about was how Jeff Lacy was the latest reincarnation of a prime Mike Tyson. How Joe Calzaghe was scared, ducking, going to get absolutely destroyed, beat into retirement etc etc. The Yanks can't just hype their fighter. They have to disrespect and try to trash all the established boxers and genuine champions. Yea, Calzaghe was sort of alright... but he slaps a lot and is unorthodox... nothing compared to Lacy absolutely demolishing Syd Vanderpool and Scott Pemberton. Everywhere the fat Yanks were spewing this classless vitriol. Boxing forums, boxing websites, all of your boxing analysts, writers, pundits, "experts".

And the worst part? After Joe Calzaghe gave them all a sweet dose of reality. They all just turned their backs on Jeff Lacy and moved onto the next hypejob. Like it never happened and they didn't spend years blowing smoke up this boxer's ass. The majority of Americans now even claim they knew all along Lacy was a fraud. Funny because at the time 100% of them were behind him.

Comment

There's nothing quite like a USA vs England boxing match to get the juices flowing.

Isn't that right, lads?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Didymus View Post
            Spence said it the best. This chump is getting far too much credit for taking a mandatory fight. Had nowhere to run or hide. All I'm going to say is Kell Brooks opponents total 925 losses exactly yet Spence is being called Jeff Lacey?? At the same stage in their careers Spence has fought far better boxers with far better reputations and skillsets. Their numbers are certainly far better too. Lol come on. Wake up and smell the Coffee kids. I am from England and have been saying for years that Kell Brook is the biggest hype job I've ever seen. His age and record tell no lies. I don't want to see any idiots give him credit for taking a mandatory fight that is NOT high risk low reward. It is average risk for any 'boxer' and HIGH (75% split) reward. Spence will destroy him and his reputation in a single night's work mark my words.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
              It's funny how much in denial some of these Americans are. The hype around Lacey was real!

Stop it....

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                What a stupid thing to say. So one American boxer who was highly regarded was beaten up and ruined by one of the best UK boxers of all time.Brook isn't half as good as Calzaghe. Spence is ten times faster than Lacy. I think Brook will get KOed again and this time by somebody no bigger than himself. Team Brook might as well do their bragging now because Brook is going to lose two in a row.

Brook is light years better than Calzhage

Comment

Originally posted by bluepete View Post
                  I'm beginning to think you are the guy with the machete. Losing his belt wouldn't be a big deal these days. He'd be straight in to fight the winner of Liam vs Liam. You sound disappointed that he's fighting Spence. You worried Spence gets derailed or something?
                  I don't own a machete and I certainly don't take men to my apartment even if they've been nice to me and I don't suspect they want me to touch their dick. I'm not sure why Machete Man took Kell home but all I can think is he was a boxing fan who Kell thought he'd like to sleep with because the dude was likely a Brook fan.

I'm really excited for the fight a genuine 50/50 imo. I'm a boxing fan I crave competitive action hence the reason I had no desire for Khan versus Brook and most certainly not GGG vs Brook.

Comment

Spence and Lacy are two totally different fighters, bad comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by roly View Post
                      You say brook is no calzaghe but it was only after the lacey fight that he started to get any respect fron the US. They were saying he hadn't fought anyone and the hype lacey was getting about being the next atg
                      Yet being untested at the highest level was crazy. Sound familiar?

There's no comparison in fight style but there is in the amount of hype. We don't know how spence will react when he gets hit with a few bombs from brook. He's good going forward but how will he be fighting someone that's as quick, skilled and powerful as he is. We know brook can take a punch but can spence?
                      Its true. Calzaghe had become the poster boy for wasted talent and many boxing writers wrote of his aimless mirandering with the WBA title. Endless defences and so many pull outs that he was nicknamed "sicknote". Lacy was supposed to be the destroyer. So actually the parallels are real. Not necessarily in boxing styles although Brook is a better pure boxer than he's given credit for and Spence maybe not quite the puncher people think he is.

Comment

Working...
                      X