Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YESTERDAY, Nunn, Barkley, Dennis Milton, Micky Ward...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
    EXACTLY...if your a boxing fan and this doesnt intrigue you, something is WRONG.
    Right, the young fighters look forward to be like this guys

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
      Bruh, a lot of us here grew on those dudes. Nothing wrong with hearing a word from them every now and then.

And while ESPN may not speak of Magic or Jordan constantly (they do though), they are the standard by which the Durants, LeBrons, Curry's, etc. are measured and those huge NBA TV contracts and paychecks wouldn't exist WITHOUT them. That should be respected.

To the OP, thanks for the vid.
      The proper forum is Boxing History

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Actually it's a current event.

Comment

That's nice and all but it's time to stop living in the past. That's the problem with boxing. Everybody is focused on the past. Let's talk about the current and future of boxing. The NBA talks about Durant,Curry, Westbrook, James etc. You don't see ESPN constantly talking about Magic, Bird, or Jordan.
          Spoken like a young guy who believes boxing started when he discovered it...

Peace baby boi!

Comment

Boxing is full of old men yelling get off my lawn. And we wonder why UFC is so popular among the youth. Old judges who can't score fights. Old referees who can't control a fight. Old promoters. Old commentators. Everything in boxing is old. It's like the Republican party. Our base is dying off. We need an injection of youth into the sport. Constantly looking back won't do that. Young people don't wanna constantly hear how everything was better back in the day. I know I hated hearing that from my parents. I notice in all other sports the youth will defend the players of their generation. In boxing they defend the fighters of decades past. Ask a 27 year old who's better, Jordan or LeBron. They'll say Lebron. Boxing fans talk about how fighters they've never seen before are better than the current fighters. It's crazy!

Comment

EXACTLY...if you're a boxing fan and this doesn't intrigue you, then something is WRONG...
              Indeed! Great stuff and thx for sharing.

I don't know why some people only focus on what's happening in the ring right now and miss out on generations of greatness. Same with music and film.

Comment

Yeah, the Blade has been doing good, seeing him around at different shows etc. Dennis Milton, too...Dennis had super potential coming out of the amateurs (he beat McClellan in the pros, too)...
                I remember the expectations were high for Milton. If I remember correctly, didn't he beat Nunn in the trials.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  I remember the expectations were high for Milton. If I remember correctly, didn't he beat Nunn in the trials.
                  He beat Nunn in the 83' Sports Festival. He also beat Iran in the 1981 NYC Golden Gloves. His main rival at 156 was Frank Tate but he lost in an upset to Darin Allen at the Trials. As a pro he didn't meet the high expectations BUT people forget that he outboxed and BEAT Gerald McClellan.

Comment

Nice, thx for the plug, great vid!!!!!!!

Comment

Boxing is full of old men yelling get off my lawn. And we wonder why UFC is so popular among the youth. Old judges who can't score fights. Old referees who can't control a fight. Old promoters. Old commentators. Everything in boxing is old. It's like the Republican party. Our base is dying off. We need an injection of youth into the sport. Constantly looking back won't do that. Young people don't wanna constantly hear how everything was better back in the day. I know I hated hearing that from my parents. I notice in all other sports the youth will defend the players of their generation. In boxing they defend the fighters of decades past. Ask a 27 year old who's better, Jordan or LeBron. They'll say Lebron. Boxing fans talk about how fighters they've never seen before are better than the current fighters. It's crazy!

It's one post on a boxing forum calm down.

Comment

Working...
                      X