Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Respect Should Brook and Khan Get. . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's detrimental to a sport that has always lurched from on farce to another and still survived (although we could argued that its getting worse) one of my primary concerns LacedUp is the effect it has on British boxing and it ties into what b00g13manhas mentioned about pedigree.

Before Khan stepped in there with Canelo he was drawing inspiration from and also trying to draw parallels with the feat of Sugar Ray Leonard. Which I can understand from his perspective but it isn't comparable, what we essentially have here is Britain's two best welterweights sacrificing themselves on the alter of middleweight champions. What does that say about their mindsets and what they think they can achieve in their own division?

Granted on the surface, Khan seems to be partly motivated by avoiding the kind of defeat that would signal the end of his career whilst Brook's decision seems partly born out of frustration at not being involved in big fights (although could we rule out some bizarre, twisted one upmanship motivated by his obsession with Amir?). But accepting an invite to the party as the fall guy, is that what fighters with a champions mentality do?

I don't think they've taken into account the effect that has on their standing, and as bojangles1987 says there's a chance that the physical damage could be detrimental to Brook's career. I think we'll see that with Amir, I wouldn't bet against his already less than stellar punch resistance when he's caught unawares being reduced further after the one punch K.O. It might not be a simple as just dropping back down in weight and carrying on.

I'd agree with Weltschmerz though. This fight will sell over here and it'll do good numbers. For all my critisms of it on a rational level, my initial emotional reaction was '**** yeah, let's have him Kell'. Completely irrational, but that's what sells these types of fights, emotion and hype.

Comment

The same respect you got for Trinidad for fighting Roy Jones Jr

Comment

Stupid risks

Yes they made/make money

but there was a more suitable path they could have gone

I don't think people realize what Brook is in-store for

Comment

Working...
        X