No announcement yet.

PBC on NBC averages 2M viewers. HBO Championship Boxing averages 1.3M

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
    Most of the fights are boring, too many "RUN first" boxers with Al.

Imagine Fransisco Vargas Vs Muira on PBC, Canelo vs Cotto, or even Ruslan vs Mathysse.

I know good ole AL looks out for his fighters, but this is a business, the HURT business to be exact, people like back and forth action, he needs to cater to the fans for PBC to blow up.

Even Hardcore fans will turn off the TV if a fighter is just there to steal a win, the most anti-dramatic way possible.

Imagine Gatti Ward on PBC, lol the world would go wild.
    You can tell you just a hbo fan boy. You could argue pbc had the most exciting fights of the year. Cotto Canelo??? LMAO the Marco Huck fight ****s all over that boring fight. You going off popularity. Heck the latest Fight on Pbc between Chris Pearson and Eric White was more exciting than Cotto Canelo. I can name about 10 fights better than Cotto Canelo..lmao at all AL fighters are runners. Get in the ring with them then. Your whole post is bs. You not a boxing fan

Comment

Originally posted by hilltophustla4 View Post
      I think he's talking about the exposure the boxers are getting.
      That guy is slow. He doesn't get it

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
        It just means that on average 800k boxing fans can't afford HBO. It's easily $100 for a package that includes HBO where you can get a package with NBC and cbs for like $14 a month. You are comparing apples to oranges my friend
        What?? I have never paid for NBC or CBS. U don't need cable to watch those channels

Comment

PBC are haemorrhaging money with that sort of viewership. 2 millions viewers isn't even remotely close to what's needed to match premium network purses. They need 5 million at least, and even that's probably not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
            Yes. Boxing is a business.
            Its a business that isn't making me any money so Id rather watch fights for free.

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
              You're right, of course it will have more viewers.

But also, of course it'll become a more effective platform for building stars.

Of course PBC boxers will become far more well known than HBO boxers.

Of course fewer people will be interested in subscribing to HBO to see the most well known boxers when it no longer has the most well known boxers.

Of course HBO will continue to cut the boxing budget when fewer people are interested in subscribing to see boxing.

Of course up and coming fighters will want to sign with PBC to get maximum exposure.

Of course HBO will struggle to create a new generation of stars once most of the top prospects prefer to be with PBC.
              You don't wait to bring out the PBC pom-poms do you? There are serious logical fallacies and assumptions you are making, painfully evident with the "of course" you add in there. IDK if you're trolling or not.

PBC has been an intriguing platform this year. It's had some really good fights this year (Huck-Glowacki, Cleverly-Fonfara stand out off the top of my head) but the jury is still out on if they can actually build a fighter into a real star. They have not done it yet. They have not built these guys up any further than what HBO and Showtime had already done. Yes, PBC fighters have gained more exposure, so more casual fans know about them. But then what? Knowing is only half the battle. Keith Thurman got the high profile spot headlining the first PBC card, followed that up with a hometown defense and couldn't even draw half-capacity. C'mon man.

Doesn't matter how many glossy, well-produced segments they put out, telling us that this-or-that guy is a star. Gotta build the guys up the right way. It's a shame that two of PBC's more-hyped fighters (Jacobs-Quillin) couldn't even draw a packed crowd in their own neighborhood. Meanwhile, across the network avenue, HBO has their guy (a foreigner, no less) selling out MSG and StubHub.

PBC has potential, I enjoy it. Hopefully they learn from 2015 and make a better 2016 in boxing. But slow down with all the "PBC taking over" talk. Very premature at this stage, too many growing pains.

Comment

You can't compare premium TV numbers to free TV. The actual point where a higher free TV number means something is probably quite high.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                  PBC are haemorrhaging money with that sort of viewership. 2 millions viewers isn't even remotely close to what's needed to match premium network purses. They need 5 million at least, and even that's probably not enough.
                  Can you link me to some of the financial statements you've seen. I'm curious to see how much money they're losing.

Comment

PBC needs to improve its promotion and communications and they should see better numbers. They have some good fights they can make, just sell them to the public better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                      What do you base this on? Because it makes no sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X