No announcement yet.

Beginner Exercises for Boxing Improvement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Exercises for Boxing Improvement

Ive only been boxing for the past month so very new to it i struggle with the endurance, coordination and punch speed (to be honest basically everything) aspect of boxing what exercises should i do to improve (i have a gym membership also)

Answers appreciated

Originally posted by Camron2043 View Post
    Ive only been boxing for the past month so very new to it i struggle with the endurance, coordination and punch speed (to be honest basically everything) aspect of boxing what exercises should i do to improve (i have a gym membership also)

Answers appreciated
    Start with very slow and strict shadow boxing. Really put a lot emphasis in the technique and your foot work. Start slowly tho. Remember not to cross your feet, don’t square up, and keep hands up. Throw one punch at a time and practice until you feel comfortable incorporating simple combinations like 1, 2. Walk forward with your lead foot and slide back with your back foot. Practice lateral movement as well. With time your rhythm and technique should improve. Then your speed and power will follow. Also keep your fist closed when you punch. I can’t begin to tell you how many people I’ve seen throw terrible sloppy rushed punches with a open hand. Awful. And work the stations as well. But really work the shadow boxing and jump rope.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with struggling - that's how you know you're learning and growing.

A good piece of advice I've always remembered is to change the line "practice makes perfect" to this: Perfect practice makes perfect.

What that means is that it doesn't help to practice if your form is bad the whole time; that just trains your body to have bad form. I'd say getting with a trainer, a set of eyes who can offer you some guidance on specifics, is the best thing at an early stage. Learn the fundamentals so that your practice can be stronger.

In addition to the jump rope and shadowboxing mentioned about, consider strengthening your core and shoulders. Medicine ball work for the core, and I like shoulder presses using a landmine (if you workout with a partner, you can really work at making these explosive).

Good luck! And remember, the number one best way to improve is to not give up!

Comment

Originally posted by Camron2043 View Post

Answers appreciated
        Practice makes perfect. Keep practicing and it will get easier.

Comment

Check out the training products from Master Boxing LLC. I highly recommend them.

Comment

just keep at it . it takes time for your brain to lock down everything. Combinations, foot work, head movement. Just stay consistent and get ur rest in on weekend or whenever your days are. In boxing alot of trainers have this balls to the wall mentality without enforcing rest days on their alumnis. Train, stay hydrated ,make healthier food choices (not hardcore) and rest.

Rule number one though, at least for me. Put in your 3 miles of jogging minimum 2 miles if youve jogged. At least 3 days a week. I find it gives me mental strength midway through my training.

Comment

Try using a speed bag for agility, speed, and endurance. Also you should try shadow boxing with 1lb weights to increase your speed and strength. Always focus on building technique properly first and the rest will come.

Comment

Working...
              X